Career path as EEngineer, construction, safety or automation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Career path as EEngineer, construction, safety or automation

Hi guys, im new here. Im student taking Electrical Engineering and I found this website very useful, thank you! I am interested in problems that is challenging, innovative, underpressure, needs team work and requires critical thinking.

So I have few questions and need some advice, if you were me, what will you do?

Okay, I will be having an internship this April to May and I was accepted in different companies. So I'm really confused on what field should I take? I dont have problem since I am almost good in anything but since I lack experience, I don't know yet what should I do.
    The first company company offered me is ABB, the manager said that I will handle testing of motors, rewinding, bla bla bla.
    Pros: ABB as we all know is a multinational company, I would have exposures related with the course I am taking.
    Cons: I find it very easy, really, to take measurements, testing, etc,etc.I am very good in combining theoretical knowledge in to practical skills so I guess since the training will be easy, kinda bored.
    The second one is a Non-Life insurance company here and they are the best in my country. I will be working as a risk engineer where I need to travel and evaluate risk in different companies.
    Pros: Travelling and see different companies. As a good engineer, I believe that prevention of risk is better than cure. Then learning the theory behind this would give me insight on how to avoid risk for example, i dont know, just my idea.
    Cons: My prof said that ther are more on paperworks, i dont know , have to confirm with you guys.
    The third one is a construction company which I will have exposures on electrical design and function of Electrical Engineer in construction company.
    Pros: Experience and right exposure on construction firm.
    Cons: I guess this are easy.

What I really love is to work with problems that are hard and part of that is learning process.

I really need input on this, so I will really appreciate the whatever input that could help me.

Sincerely yours,
    charlesestimate, btw, sorry for the english.
    ABB
    0.00%
    Risk Engineer
    0.00%
    Construction Firm
    100.00%

Originally posted by charlesestimate View Post
    Hi guys, im new here. Im student taking Electrical Engineering and I found this website very useful, thank you! I am interested in problems that is challenging, innovative, underpressure, needs team work and requires critical thinking.

So I have few questions and need some advice, if you were me, what will you do?

Okay, I will be having an internship this April to May and I was accepted in different companies. So I'm really confused on what field should I take? I dont have problem since I am almost good in anything but since I lack experience, I don't know yet what should I do.
    The first company company offered me is ABB, the manager said that I will handle testing of motors, rewinding, bla bla bla.
    Pros: ABB as we all know is a multinational company, I would have exposures related with the course I am taking.
    Cons: I find it very easy, really, to take measurements, testing, etc,etc.I am very good in combining theoretical knowledge in to practical skills so I guess since the training will be easy, kinda bored.
    The second one is a Non-Life insurance company here and they are the best in my country. I will be working as a risk engineer where I need to travel and evaluate risk in different companies.
    Pros: Travelling and see different companies. As a good engineer, I believe that prevention of risk is better than cure. Then learning the theory behind this would give me insight on how to avoid risk for example, i dont know, just my idea.
    Cons: My prof said that ther are more on paperworks, i dont know , have to confirm with you guys.
    The third one is a construction company which I will have exposures on electrical design and function of Electrical Engineer in construction company.
    Pros: Experience and right exposure on construction firm.
    Cons: I guess this are easy.

What I really love is to work with problems that are hard and part of that is learning process.

I really need input on this, so I will really appreciate the whatever input that could help me.

Sincerely yours,
    charlesestimate, btw, sorry for the english.
    Hello Charles-estimate,

It is very hard to advice you on long distance, with all respect we haven't seen each other and I do not know you enough to give you any useful advice...all i can say the jobs descriptions are very different, so the best I can say is to follow your instinct and try to imagine your self 5-10 year ahead and see if any of these jobs will do the "job" to fulfill your carrier dreams etc.. It worked for me and today all went very well..
    I wish you good luck on your en-devour of job carrier and beyond !!

Erik
    M SC EE

Comment

It is all good

Yeah, you will have paperwork to deal with any way you go. Going the risk engineer sounds great, but get ready for paperwork and doing a lot of mundane work with specifications, drawings, and of course more paperwork, however it could be a great way to land another engineering job as you will get to travel a lot and be noticed.

Construction is ok, but be ready to travel also. If you are young and single, it would be ok if you don’t mind construction trailers in the middle of nowhere and moving when the project is finished. It is a good way to start out.

Working for ABB in the engineering department would be ok too and may be after a while, you could be sent out to projects to work on equipment as a trouble shooter when there is a problem. But you are usually limited to working on the manufacturer’s equipment only, so that could become mundane and not too stimulating after a while.

In any case, you will start out at the bottom and do the routine work that the senior engineers don’t want to do paper work and screen time. It is just the way it is. But this is how you learn and sometimes an experienced engineer will help and show you a few shortcuts and time saving tips that you can put to use. Oh yeah, get ready for meetings, lots of meetings with sometimes unhappy people due to problems you really have no control over, but they have to yell at someone, and there you are. It is normal.

But really, engineering is a great way to start a career no matter which job you choose. There will always be a need for electrical engineers and an exceptional need for exceptional electrical engineers. Good luck in your future work.
      One thing to keep in mind is, man wrote the laws regarding the conservation of energy, not nature.
      Nature writes it's own laws regardless of what man thinks or does.

Comment

Working...
      X