• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here is an interesting author as she was considered Equal to Homer

Introduction

The Poetry of Sappho: Introduction
    By J.B Hare

Imagine that two millenia or so in the future, literary experts attempt to collect the glories of our literature. Most of our paper writings have crumbled into dust or used for kindling; all our digital files are long gone or indecipherable. English is a dead language and many of the cultural references are a complete puzzle to them. They have a strange jumble of popular and high literature: one partial summary of of the episodes of a saga called 'Star Trek', a fragment of an archive of fan fiction about a warrior princess named Xena, some quotes from various authors extracted from anthologies written three hundred years from now, and a few cryptic bits of poetry from somebody named Shakespeare, who was apparently very highly regarded, and wrote in an archaic dialect: specifically, one complete sonnet, a couple of soliloquies and a few random lines from his plays. Now try to psychoanalyze Shakespeare from those fragments. This is about where we stand vis-a-vis Sappho.
    What is Known

The poet Sappho lived in the sixth century B.C. on the island of Lesbos, which is situated in the Northeastern Aegean. We do not know the exact date of her birth or death, but it has been suggested that she was alive from about 610 B.C to 570 B.C. Her family is known to have been wealthy merchants; Lesbos in the sixth century B.C. was very prosperous. That she lived a life of luxury, and loved beatiful clothes and ornaments is clear from several allusions in the fragments. In addition, it is known that women of Lesbos at this time were exceptionally liberated and moved freely in social and religious circles. Lesbos was the center of a flourishing school of lyric poetry. Some of the other Lesbian ( citizens of Lesbos ) poets of this period were Terpander and Alcaeus, and there were several other women poets.

Sappho was born in either Eresus or Mytilene, but lived most of her life in Mytiline. Herodotus, who wrote about 150 years after Sappho's death, said that her fathers name was Scamandronymous. We know that she had three brothers, named Charaxus, Larichus, and Eurygius. From Athenaeus we learn that Larichus had the post of cup-bearer at Mytilene, which was an honorary office only open to the aristocracy. It is therefore assumed that Sappho and her family were of the upper class. Charaxus as a merchant who exported the renowned wine of Lesbos to Naucratis in Egypt. He was reputed to have married a wealthy Egyptian woman named Doricha, who is mentioned in Herodotus. Nothing is known of her third brother.

Aside from writing a large amount of exquisite poems, it is difficult to tell what Sappho's actual occupation was ( Alchemy maybe ) (as the late William Everson noted, poetry is a vocation, not to be confused with one's occupation). There is evidence in several of the poems that Sappho may have been part of a circle of women who were priestesses of the goddess Aphrodite, which in that time and place may have implied ritual prostitution. In another poem she boasts of having trained a champion runner (#68). One of the commentators says that she invented a particular kind of garment, the chlamys. In yet another (#87), her daughter (or perhaps Sappho speaking to her mother), complains that she can't focus on her weaving because she's, to put it bluntly, horny. Priestess? Sacred *****? Athlete? Fashion designer? Weaver? Sappho may have been any or all of these at some point in her life. We simply don't know.

There are no contemporary portraits of Sappho; it is said that she was short and dark. After her death she was portrayed on coins, medallions, vases and in statuary. There were two famous statues of Sappho in antiquity, both which have disappeared.

Sappho was exiled for a time in Sicily; this is the only event in her life for which there is actual documentary evidence. An inscription cut in a block of marble and found at Paros, now in the British Museum, gives a chronology of events from the sixteenth to the third century B.C. The chronology states that Sappho fled from Lesbos to Sicily when Aristocles ruled the Athenians. The reason was some sort of political upheaval in Lesbos.

It is said that she flung herself off of the Leucadian promontory over unrequited love for a beautiful boatman named Phaon. This is completely unsubstantiated (if not out of character). This myth formed the basis for several romantic poems about her as late as the Renaisannce.

Sappho the poet was an innovator. At the time poetry was principally used in ceremonial contexts, and to extoll the deeds of brave soldiers. Sappho had the audacity to use the first person in poetry and to discuss deep human emotions, particularly the erotic, in ways that had never been approached by anyone before her. As for the military angle, in one of the longer fragments (#3) she says: "Some say that the fairest thing upon the dark earth is a host of horsemen, and some say a host of foot soldiers, and others again a fleet of ships, but for me it is my beloved."

In the ancient world she was considered to be on an equal footing with Homer, acclaimed as the 'tenth muse'. Her poetry was collected three hundred years after her death at Alexandria in nine books. Some of her poems were known to be hundreds of lines long. ( maybe a seeress maybe )

Today, only a few scraps of her poetry survive, only three of them consisting of more than one verse (the longest being seven verses of four lines), a handful of four line and two line fragments, and the rest just phrases or short quotes. Most of the fragments are second- or third-hand quotes from other texts. Some small fragments were found (in the early twentieth century) wrapped around mummies in Egypt; essentially recycled papyrus. These have been identified only because of Sappho's distinctive literary style.

Sappho's books were burned by Christians in the year 380 A.D. at the instigation of Pope Gregory Nazianzen. Another book burning in the year 1073 A.D. by Pope Gregory VII may have wiped out any remaining trace of her works. It should be remembered that in antiquity books were copied by hand and comparatively rare. There may have only been a few copies of her complete works. The bonfires of the Church destroyed many things, but among the most tragic of their victims were the poems of Sappho.
    in line with Hypatia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

let's see if one of the patterns match
    Signs and symbols rule the world, not words nor laws.” -Confucius.

Comment

• The Poems of Sappho, Part I

Hymn to Aphrodite

III

Him the betrayer of Ilium's honour.
      The recked she not of adored child or parent,
      But yielded to love, and forced by her passion,
      Dared Fate in exile.

VI

So must we learn in world made as this one
      Man can never attain his greatest desire,
      [But must pray for what good fortune Fate holdeth,
      Never unmindful.]

Come hither foam-born Cyprian goddess, come,
      And in golden goblets pour richest nectar
      All mixed in most ethereal perfection,
      Thus to delight us.

May I win this prize, O golden-crowned Aphrodite.

For thee to whom I do good, thou harmest me the most.

And this I feel myself.

Just now the golden-sandalled Dawn [has called].

Thou forgettest me.

I yearn and I seek.

Turn to me, dear one, turn thy face,
      And unveil for me in thine eyes, their grace.

I think men will remember us even hereafter.

Foolish woman! Have no pride about a ring.

So, like a child after its mother, I flutter.

But to thee, Athis, the thought of me is hateful; thou fliest to Andromeda.

Come, O divine shell, yield thy resonances to me.
      Come, O come, divinest shell,
      And in my ear all thy secrets tell.

Very weary of Gorgo.

The sinking moon has left the sky,
      The Pleiades have also gone.
      Midnight comes--and goes, the hours fly
      And solitary still, I lie.

Then lightly, in an enfolding garment I sprang.

The handmaiden of Aphrodite, shining like gold.

Come now gentle Graces, and fair-haired Muses.

O for Adonis.

Etymology and origin

The Greek Ἄδωνις (Greek pronunciation: [ˈadɔːnis]), Adōnis was a borrowing from the Semitic word adon, "lord",[2] which is related to Adonai, one of the names used to refer to the God (אֲדֹנָי) in the Hebrew Bible and still used in Judaism to the present day. Syrian Adonis is Gauas[3] or Aos, to Egyptian Osiris, to the Semitic Tammuz and Baal Hadad, to the Etruscan Atunis and the Phrygian Attis, all of whom are deities of rebirth and vegetation.[4]
      Adonis ( Earths "lord"), in Greek mythology, the god of beauty and desire, is a figure with Northwest Semitic antecedents, where he is a central figure in various mystery religions.

Note the Colors Death of Adonis, by Luca Giordano.

Last edited by MonsieurM; 06-14-2012, 06:49 PM.

Comment

• Engineers investigate why the cochlea is coiled

(Phys.org) -- The word “cochlea” comes from the Latin for “snail shell.” While this inner ear component has a clear spiral shape, it’s currently unclear why that is. In the 1980s, scientists supposed that the shape evolved solely for space conservation, but in the past few years researchers have questioned this view and proposed that the spiral curvature could have perceptual benefits as well. In a recent study, a team of engineers has added evidence to this view by performing simulations showing that a coiled cochlea can detect the source of a sound in the vertical direction significantly better than a straight cochlea.
        --------------------

talking about old cave painting ............ remember Castile and León , we spent quite a bit talking about it

Iberian paintings are Europe's oldest cave art, uranium-series dating study confirms

Paleolithic paintings in El Castillo cave in Northern Spain date back at least 40,800 years – making them Europe's oldest known cave art, according to new research published today in Science.
        Cave of El Castillo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Cueva de El Castillo, or the Cave of the Castle, is an archaeological site within the complex of the Caves of Monte Castillo, and is located in Puente Viesgo, in the province of Cantabria, Spain.

This cave was discovered in 1903 by Hermilio Alcalde del Río, the Spanish archaeologist, who was one of the pioneers in the study of the earliest cave paintings of Cantabria. In the time of the cave painters, the entrance to the cave was not as large as it is today, because it was enlarged by the excavations in the front of the caves.
        Cantabria (English /kænˈtɑːbriə/, /kænˈtæbriə/; Spanish: [kanˈtaβɾja]) is a Spanish historical region[1] and autonomous community with Santander as its capital city. It is bordered on the east by the Basque Autonomous Community (province of Biscay), on the south by Castile and León (provinces of León, Palencia and Burgos), on the west by the Principality of Asturias, and on the north by the Cantabrian Sea (Bay of Biscay).

------------------------------

New solar active region spitting out flares

An active region on the sun, numbered AR 1504, rotated into view over the left side of the sun on June 10, 2012. The region fired off two M-class flares and two coronal mass ejections (CMEs) on June 13 and June 14, 2012. The first flare lasted for a relatively long three hours, peaking on June 13, 2012 at 9:17 AM EDT. The associated CME traveled at approximately 375 miles per second and is directed toward Earth, though due to its slow speed, the effect on Earth is expected to be minimal.

Last edited by MonsieurM; 06-14-2012, 09:28 PM.

Comment

• from http://www.energeticforum.com/psychi...tml#post176398

Originally posted by MonsieurM View Post
          Cherokee Prophecies - Crystalinks

Cherokee Prophecies

Cherokee Star Constellation - Prophecy of the Rattlesnake

so dug a little deeper and found the following prophecy kind of resonates with The Pied Piper of Hamelin:

Cherokee Prophecy

CHEROKEE PROPHECY OF THE MONSTER WITH WHITE EYES

Handed down as a traditional Cherokee story from grandmother to grandchild, the storyteller cautions that long ago before the Europeans discovered Turtle Island and her indigenous people, the elders of those people warned of the monsters with white eyes yet to come. [Similar stories are to be found among the Aztecs and Mexican people.] The spirits foretold that the monster with white eyes would cross the great eastern water. The monster would possess evil and terrifying power, and would wreak destruction in its path. The spirits of the animals and trees began to wither. Prophecy states that Mother Earth herself would be devastated and her heartbeat would become faint. The monster was said to devour the children of Turtle Island tribe by tribe, with no escape. If one did survive, its spirit would be dead since it would now be lost and have no connection to its ancestors.

The story tells that one day the Earth would begin to sing a death song due to the severity of the harsh conditions. When this happens, the children of the people who followed the white-eyed monster to the island would look into their hearts and realize that they faced annihilation at the hands of their fathers. They would find that the spirits of the children of the tribes had been reborn, waiting to guide the children of the white-eyed monster.

The few keepers of the truth would emerge, becoming strong enough to overcome the power of the white-eyed monster, restoring Mother Earth back to health. The children of the tribes of Turtle Island would lead the people back to the right way. The races would live in peace, the spirit of the animals and trees would return to safety, and the monster with white eyes would fail to exist.

which also describes the passing of Ages

At the beginning of this cycle of time, long ago, the Great Spirit made an appearance and gathered the peoples of this earth together, and said to the human beings. “I’m going to send you to four directions and over time I’m going to change you to four colors. I’m going to give you some teachings, and you will call these the Original Teachings; when you come back together with each other, you will share these so that you can live and have peace on earth, and a great civilization will come about. During the cycle of time, I’m going to give each of you two stone tablets. When I give you those stone tablets, don’t cast them upon the ground. If any of the sisters and brothers cast their tablets on the ground, not only will human beings have a hard time, but almost the earth itself will die.”

And so He gave each of us a responsibility, and we call that the Guardianship. To the Indian people, the red people, He gave the Guardianship of the Earth. We are to learn during this cycle of time the teachings of the earth; the plants that grow from the earth; the foods that you can eat, and the herbs that heal. Then, when we came back together with the other sisters and brothers, we could share this knowledge with them. Something good was to happen on the earth.

To the South He gave the yellow race of people the Guardianship of the Wind. They were to learn about the sky and breathing and how to take that within ourselves for spiritual advancement. They were to share that with us at this time.

To the West He gave the black race of people the Guardianship of the Water. They were to learn the teachings of the water, which is the chief of the elements, being the most humble and the most powerful. The elders have told me that the black people would bring the teachings of the water.

To the North He gave the white race of people the Guardianship of the Fire. If you look at the center of many of the things they do, you will find the fire. They say a light bulb is the white man’s fire. If you look at the center of a car you will find a spark. If you look at the center of the airplane and the train you will find the fire. The fire consumes, and also moves. This is why it was the white sisters and brothers who began to move upon the face of the earth and reunite us as a human family.

interestingly we discussed all four races and their related element

And so a long time passed, and the Great Spirit gave each of the four races two stone tablets. Ours are kept at the Hopi Reservation in Arizona at Four Corners Area on Third Mesa. I talked to people from the black race, and their stone tablets are at the foot of Mount Kenya. They are kept by the Kukuyu Tribe. I was at an Indian spiritual gathering about 15 years ago. A medicine man from South Dakota put a beaded medicine wheel in the middle of the gathering. It had the four colors from the four directions; he asked the people, “Where is this from?” They said, “Probably Montana, or South Dakota, maybe Saskatchewan.” He said, “This is from Kenya.” It was beaded just like ours, with the same colors.

The stone tablets of the yellow race of people are kept by the Tibetans. If you went straight through the Hopi Reservation to the other side of the world, you would come out in Tibet. The Tibetan word for sun is the Hopi word for moon, and the Hopi word for sun is the Tibetan word for moon.

The guardians of the traditions of the people of Europe are the Swiss. In Switzerland, they still have a day when each family brings out its mask. They still know the colors of the families, and they still know the symbols, some of them. Each of these four peoples happen to live in the mountains.

Each of the four races went to their directions and learned their teachings. It was in Newsweek not long ago that eight out of ten foods that people eat on the earth are developed here in the western hemisphere because that is our Guardianship -- to learn the teachings of the earth and the things that grow from the earth. We were given a sacred handshake to demonstrate, when we came back together as sisters and brothers, that we still remember the teachings.

this one is quite interesting:

One that I used to listen to many times, over and over, was Thomas Banyaca. He was authorized to speak in English about what was on the stone tablets, and he has dedicated his life to doing this. And they began to tell us at these gatherings, “You’re going to see a time in your lifetime when the human beings are going to find the blueprint that makes us.” They call that now DNA, deoxyribonucleic acid. They said, “They’re going to cut this blueprint.” They call that now genetic splicing. And they said, “They’re going to make new animals upon the earth, and they’re going to think these are going to help us. And it’s going to seem like they do help us. But maybe the grandchildren and great-grandchildren are going to suffer.” The elders said long ago, “They will release these things, and they will use them.” This is going to be released not too long from now. They are making new animals. The elders talked about this. They said, “You will see new animals, and even the old animals will come back, animals that people thought had disappeared. They will find them here and there. They’ll begin to reappear.”
          Found alive: Two Flying Dinosaur Species in Papua New Guinea [with videos] | THE TRUTH BEHIND THE SCENES

Found alive: Two Flying Dinosaur Species in Papua New Guinea
          one last ... as it is a very wise thought :

At this time you’re going to see that things will speed up, that people on the earth will move faster and faster. Grandchildren will not have time for grandparents. Parents will not have time for children. It will seem like time is going faster and faster. The elders advised us that, as things speed up, you yourself should slow down. The faster things go, the slower you go. .
          If we could stop the racial and religious disharmony, we would not have to go through this third shaking. The elders say the chance of that is pretty slim. It seems to me like it’s pretty slim, too. But they say what we can do is we can cushion it so it won’t be quite as bad. How do we do this? We do this by sharing the teaching that will reunite us .
          Last edited by MonsieurM; 06-14-2012, 10:40 PM.

Comment

• wanted to find out a bit more .... the following one ... resonates strongly

Prophecies of Indigenous People

Tim Sikyea, Yellowknife Tribe

Many of the dreams or visions don't necessarily mean the end; they could also indicate a change. Our people say that people who are not spiritually in tune can't adapt to this change. They won't have the necessary physical, mental and spiritual strength to change themselves. It is being said that humanity will become mad.

There will be an energy or something similar that will influence the atmosphere. As a consequence, the pressure in our brains will increase by 35 percent. But people who have become spiritually clear and accept these approaching energies of the cosmos will be able to be secure from this human cleansing process.

Seventy to 80 percent of humanity are not spiritually but materialistically oriented ( more like 62 % .... feels like 80 % ) . That's why they won't be able to endure this transformation; they will go mad. They will kill themselves and destroy everything around them. It will be like a madhouse. Probably, somebody will then push the famous button because of this.

[QUOTE]
            If you place an iron rod in a dark room and cause it to vibrate at first you'll only be able to tell it is vibrating by touching it.

Increasing the vibration to 32Hz will produce a loud and shrill sound and vibration can now be detected by both touch and hearing. Increase that vibration to 40Hz and you can no longer detect the vibration by touch or sound.

If you increase the vibration to 1.5MHz you cannot feel or hear the vibration but you can detect the vibration though the rise in temperature in the iron first warm and then the iron rod will glow red hot and can be detected by sight. Today

At 3MHz the rod is now producing violet light; increasing the vibration more will produce ultra-violet rays and other invisible radiations that can only be detected by special instruments. Tomorrow

There are so many "vibrations" flowing all around us that are invisible to our 5 senses who can tell how they affect us. Uranium emits and invisible radiation that will kill you. You cannot see it but it is there and kills. Who is to say how the other radiation affects the body and mind.

Isn't it possible that the mind radiates its own wireless transmissions that are received by other minds but we just are unaware of that as of yet. There is no scientific proof for or against this theory, yet so many people will just to the conclusion that it cannot exist. There are among the same people that would have disbelieved radio existed before it was proven that is does exist.

You MUST keep an open mind and use these methods as those successful have already used them to achieve success. Who are you willing to believe, those who have not succeeded or those who have?
            Dr. Alexander Graham Bell

slight update : All Truth is Half truth
            Last edited by MonsieurM; 06-15-2012, 11:22 AM.

Comment

• The few keepers of the truth would emerge, becoming strong enough to overcome the power of the white-eyed monster, restoring Mother Earth back to health. The children of the tribes of Turtle Island would lead the people back to the right way. The races would live in peace, the spirit of the animals and trees would return to safety, and the monster with white eyes would fail to exist.
              Children Of The Sun - Billy Thorpe (lyrics) - YouTube the vid has some quite inspiring images

Children Of The Sun lyrics

People of the Earth can you hear me?
              Came a voice from the sky on that magical night
              And in the colors of thousand sunsets
              They traveled to the world on a shivering light

The people of the Earth stood waiting
              Watching as the ships came one by one
              Setting fire to the sky as they landed
              Carryied to the world Children Of The Sun
              Children Of The Sun

All at once came a sound from the inside
              Then a beam made of light hit the ground
              Everone felt the sound of their heartbeat
              Every Man - Every Woman - Every Child

They guessed the limits of imagination
              To the door - to the world - of another time
              And on the journey of a thousand lifetimes
              With the Children Of The Sun - They started their climb

Children Of The Sun
              Children Of The Sun

No more gravity, nothing holding them down
              Floating endlessly, as their ship leaves the ground
              Through the walls of time - at the speed of light
              Flies the crystal ships on their celestial flight
              (On their celestial flight)

Children Of The Sun
              Children Of The Sun
              Children Of The Sun
              Children Of The Sun(to faend)

If you want to live your soul,
              Find a friend like Shams and stay near. Rumi
              Last edited by MonsieurM; 06-15-2012, 12:34 AM.

Comment

• from: http://www.energeticforum.com/renewa...tml#post197878

Originally posted by purelyconstructive
                That is a very insightful observation. In a similar way, I believe that the shapes generated when one traces out magic squares to be like Lissajous figures (which also follow a pattern similar to the Rose Curves)...They are waveforms that demonstrate directly the geometry inherent to number itself.

By the way, where did you find that lovely egg geometry with the Seed of Life pattern inside of it?
                had it posted here ......... http://www.energeticforum.com/renewa...tml#post155994

it is taken from a book called Mathographics .... It is amazing how much you can learn by studying the shape of an Egg .............. ( had quite a long discussion on it with one of our esteemed member )

magic squares have more then one way of showing patterns

for instance : from http://www.energeticforum.com/psychi...tml#post188657

People See Odd Numbers as Male, Even as Female | Grammatical Gender | Psychology & Abstract Concepts | Male & Female Objects | LiveScience

ps: a nice doc History of magic - Episode 1 - Mind Reading/Mentalism Part 1/6 - YouTube
                Last edited by MonsieurM; 06-15-2012, 12:16 PM.

Comment

• a slight update :

Crop Circle at Woodborough Hill. Alton Barnes.Wiltshire. Report 9th June 2012.

Woodborough Hill. Alton Barnes.Wiltshire. Report 9th June

----------------------------------

Crop Circle at Silbury Hill, Nr Avebury, Wiltshire. Reported 12th June* 2012.

Silbury Hill, Nr Avebury, Wiltshire. Reported 12th June.

‎"This New formation near Silbury Hill is a tiny beautiful one. The owner has given permission to visit the formation and has put a Donation box. Please walk in the tramlines, it is the 5 tramline from the gate near the car park at Silbury Hill.

Last edited by MonsieurM; 06-15-2012, 02:10 PM.

Comment

• one last :

Emerald Tablet

Four is it in qualities,
                    shining in each of the planes of existence,
                    but thirteen in one
                    the mystical number.
                    Based on the qualities of man are the Brothers:
                    each shall direct the unfoldment of being,
                    each shall channels be of the Great One.
                    Silbury Hill (2), Nr Avebury, Wiltshire. Reported 13th June.

thirteen in one

Last edited by MonsieurM; 06-15-2012, 02:16 PM.

Comment

• you know sometimes you wonder if we have not entered the Twilight Zone

There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call "The Twilight Zone ".
                      are you familiar with this episode :

The Monsters Are on Maple Street - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maple Street ( 300 ) , U.S.A. A suburban community on a pleasant Saturday afternoon. But in a few moments everything will change for the residents of Maple Street as they discover that the monsters they fear may already be among them.

Plot

Whereas the original episode centered around an alien invasion, the remake is more about the fear of terrorism in America and how it drives people apart. When the power surge happens in the remake, it is not caused by aliens but by the government, specifically the army, experimenting on how small towns react to the fear of terrorism. In the end, the neighborhood takes out its anger and frustration on a family who never left their house after the power surge occurred, thinking that they caused it since they still have power.
                      the episode :

The Twilight Zone - 1959 - Season 1, Episode 22: The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street - TV & Reclame - 123video

It isn't enough for a sole voice of reason to exist. In this time of uncertainty we're so sure that villains lurk around every corner that we will create them ourselves if we can't find them. For while fear may keep us vigilant, it's also fear that tears us apart. A fear that sadly exists only too often outside the Twilight Zone.

Comment

• Alien Earths may be plentiful in galaxy - Technology & science - Space - Space.com - msnbc.com

Alien Earths may be plentiful in our Milky Way galaxy

Small, rocky planets can coalesce around a wide variety of stars, suggesting that Earth-like alien worlds may have formed early and often throughout our Milky Way galaxy's history, a new study reveals.

Astronomers had previously noticed that huge, Jupiter-like exoplanets tend to be found around stars with high concentrations of so-called "metals" — elements heavier than hydrogen and helium. But smaller, terrestrial alien planets show no such loyalty to metal-rich stars, the new study found.

" Small planets could be widespread in our galaxy, because they do not require a high content of heavy elements to form," said study lead author Lars Buchhave of the University of Copenhagen in Denmark

Comment

• Thanks 7

For those who have little time reading here is a link to the audio version of the Kybalion :

Three Initiates - Kybalion Part 1 - YouTube

From the land of the Ganges many advanced occultists wandered to the land of Egypt, and sat at the feet of the Master. From him they obtained the Master-Key which explained and reconciled their divergent views, and thus the Secret Doctrine was firmly established. From other lands also came the learned ones, all of whom regarded Hermes as the Master of Masters , and his influence was so great that in spite of the many wanderings from the path on the part of the centuries of teachers in these different lands, there may still be found a certain basic resemblance and correspondence which underlies the many and often quite divergent theories entertained and taught by the occultists of these different lands today. The student of Comparative Religions will be able to perceive the influence of the Hermetic Teachings in every religion worthy of the name, now known to man, whether it be a dead religion or one in full vigor in our own times. There is always a certain correspondence in spite of the contradictory features, and the Hermetic Teachings act as the Great Reconciler.
                          These men have never sought popular approval, nor numbers of followers. They are indifferent to these things, for they know how few there are in each generation who are ready for the truth, or who would recognize it if it were presented to them. They reserve the "strong meat for men," while others furnish the "milk for babes." They reserve their pearls of wisdom for the few elect, who recognize their value and who wear them in their crowns, instead of casting them before the materialistic vulgar swine, who would trample them in the mud and mix them with their disgusting mental food. But still these men have never forgotten or overlooked the original teachings of Hermes, regarding the passing on of the words of truth of those ready to receive it, which teaching is stated in The Kybalion as follows: "Where fall the footsteps of the Master, the ears of those ready for his Teaching open wide." And again: "When the ears of the student are ready to hear, then cometh the lips to fill them with wisdom." But their customary attitude has always been strictly in accordance with the other Hermetic aphorism, also in The Kybalion: "The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding."
                          In this little work we have endeavored to give you an idea of the fundamental teachings of The Kybalion, striving to give you the working Principles, leaving you to apply them yourselves, rather than attempting to work out the teaching in detail. If you are a true student, you will be able to work out and apply these Principles-if not, then you must develop yourself into one, for otherwise the Hermetic Teachings will be as "words, words, words" to you.
                          10th paragraph

The Three Initiates.
                          10+ 3 = 13

keep in mind the concept of fractal when you listen / read the Kybalion
                          Last edited by MonsieurM; 06-15-2012, 10:49 PM.

Comment

• Don't recall to have put the name HERMES TRISMEGISTUS Through the Chaldean Numerology Lens

HERMES = 5 + 5 + 2 + 4 + 5 + 3 = 24 = HM 6

6 - Love

Motto:
                            Omnia vincit Amor. (Love conquers all.)
                            Deities:
                            Eros, Cupidus; Apollo + Artemis/Diana; Osiris + Isis.
                            Dice:
                            1+6 = Love+Offspring (Water); 3+3 = Family+Offspring (Fire).
                            Astragali:
                            1+4+4 = Love+Priest+Offspring.
                            Greek Letter = Zeta:
                            Zeteo = to desire, seek, require, demand, search.
                            Trigram:
                            II: Name: Tui = the Joyous. Image: Lake. The Third Son, associated with joy and attraction. Northeast in the Earlier Heaven.
                            TRISMEGISTUS = 4 + 2 + 1 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 3 + 1 + 3 + 4 + 6 + 3 = 39 = 12 = HM 3

3 - Emperor

Motto:
                            Potens Pater conservator orbis (Mighty Father, preserver of the world)
                            Deities:
                            Zeus, Jupiter.
                            Dice:
                            1+3 = Love+Male (Water); 2+2 = Couple+Male (Fire).

Astragali:
                            1+3+3 = Love+Ruler+Male.
                            Greek Letter = Delta:
                            Dike = justice, judgement, right; Dunastes = ruler, master.
                            Trigram:
                            III Name: Ch'ien = the Creative. Image: Heaven, Sky. The Father, associated with strength, creativity, firmness, endurance, purity and the word. South in the Earlier Heaven.
                            ---------------------------

HERMES TRISMEGISTUS = 39 + 24 = HM 3 + HM 6 = HM 9

9 - Fortitude

Motto:
                            Domina bestiarum lenis (Gentle Lady of the Beasts)
                            Deities:
                            Kurene (Cyrene); Artemis (Potnia Theron), Diana.
                            Dice:
                            2+4 = Virtue + Female (Water); 4+3 = Virtue + Third (Fire).
                            Astragali:
                            1+6+4 = 1st Ogdoad + Virtue + Female.
                            Greek Letter = Iota:
                            Iskhus = strength, force, might; Iphi = strongly, valiantly.
                            Trigram:
                            :II Name: Sun = the Gentle. Image: Wind, Wood. The First Daughter, associated with penetration, following guidelines, work, vehemence, changeability.

a fractal construct has an 'efficient function', it has a fractal ergonomy to them, they function on multiple levels and in multiple dimensions:

Last edited by MonsieurM; 06-15-2012, 11:07 PM.

Comment

• one last :

Emerald Tablet

Four is it in qualities,
                              but thirteen in one
                              the mystical number.

thirteen in one

we keep on bumping on the numbers 4 and 13

let's see what they represent in the Pythagorian Tarot

13 - Death

Motto:
                              Sum fine. (I am the end.)
                              Deities:
                              Hades, Pluto; Thanatos, Mors; Devouring Mother (Kali).
                              Dice:
                              3+4 = Time + 4.Mother/II.Separation (Water); 5+3 = Time + 3.Initial Completion (Fire).

Astragali:
                              4+6+6 = Time + III.Initial Completion.
                              Greek Letter = Nu:
                              Nekros = corpse; Nerteros = lower, nether, infernal.
                              Trigram:
                              :II Name: Sun = the Gentle. Image: Wind, Wood. The First Daughter, associated with completion, penetration, vehemence, changeability, odor, grey hair. "All living things ... come to completion in the Gentle" (Shuo Kua ch. 2).
                              Interpretation
                              The Triumph of Death signals the end of a life, and the impossibility of a return. This applies equally to physical death, which ends earthly existence, and to the little deaths that mark our movement from one phase of life to another.

Death is an absolute transition, a discontinuous break in life, for no one can say what, if any, life lies beyond death. Is the cornucopia filled with riches or is it empty? Has Pluto poured us a rejuvenating libation, or shown us that the dish is dry? We cannot know.

Death's robe is black (the color of mourning in the West) and his armor is bone white (the color of mourning in the East). His costume marks the two sides of the transition of Death, the black putrefaction, the nigredo, which reduces our life to its elementary constituents, to featureless prima materia; and the albedo, the creation of the white matter, which is pure and all colors equally; it provides a malleable neutral ground ready to take on new color and form.

The body parts show Death as the universal solvent, decomposing prince and pauper alike; they also show the dissolution of our standpoints (feet), activities (hands) and ideas (heads), even of our principle idea (the prince's head). The scythe reminds us that death should be a harvest, the time when we reap the rewards of one season of life, and sow the seeds for the next.

The skeleton is the frame of life, the root of both rigidity and flexibility, of both stability and change. It is the central core of equilibrium and action, which is all that's left when the fleshy mask of the persona has been removed.
                              Commentary
                              XIII.Death represents the permanent and final end of a "life." This could be either physical death or the lesser deaths that occur when we pass from one phase of life to the next (adolescence, marriage, children, etc.); it is any major transition, normal or extraordinary. A principal characteristic of such transitions is that they are irrevocable. No one, not even a god, can bring back from the dead someone whom Hades wishes to keep. Those few who have journeyed to the underworld and returned (Heracles, Orpheus, Theseus and Peirithoos), have been permanently changed by their confrontation with Death. (Nichols 233; SB&G 61-2)

So also the shaman-initiate submits himself to the demons of the underworld, who tear him limb from limb and devour his flesh. His parts are cooked into prima materia, from which he is reborn as a shaman. (Eliade, Sham. ch. 2)
                              The numerological significance of 13 is transcendence of the cyclic patterns of the past. The number 12 always indicates a complete cycle (as in the months or zodiacal signs). Since cycles repeat (1, 2, ..., 12, 1, 2, ...), the number 13 does not belong to the cyclic pattern; it stands above it - there is no thirteenth month. On the other hand, 13 does follow 12 numerically, and so it represents the start of a new series of cycles on a higher level, transcending the old cycle by building on it (12+1, 12+2, ..., 12+12, 12+1, 12+2, ...). In this way, the thirteenth trump moves the cycles of life onto the next plane. (Nichols 232; Pollack I.94)
                              you can also see it as the end of a Kali Yuga :

Thus Death represents a time for grief and mourning, for accepting the inevitable, for recognizing that the birth of a new generation requires the death of the old ( system ).

So awesome is this barrier, that the gods themselves swear oaths by the River Styx, for by it even they are bound. A god who breaks such an oath is banished from Olympus and falls into a coma for one great year (nine mortal years), and is barred from Olympus for another great year (Hesiod, Theog. 780-806). (There is no record of any god breaking such an oath.) The waters of Styx are the Aqua Permanens (Enduring Water) of the alchemists, for it is said that its water is the universal solvent, which dissolves gold, and the elixir of immortality, but only if consumed on the correct day (the Kairos); at all other times it is poisonous. (Gantz 29; OCD s.v. Styx; Oswalt 271)
                              ------------------ we previously discussed it

4 - High Priestess

Motto:
                              Statu variabilis (Steadfast in changing)
                              Deities:
                              Artemis, Diana; Hecate; Luna; Isis; Persephone.
                              Dice:
                              1+4 = Love+Mother (Water Hexactys); 3+1 = Family+Mother (Fire Hexactys).

Astragali:
                              1+4+1 = Love+Holy+Female.
                              Greek Letter = Epsilon:
                              Exo = outside, beyond, outwards.
                              Trigram:
                              :I: Name: K'an = the Abyssmal. Image: Water, Rain, Moon. The Second Daughter, associated with passion, danger, repetitive bending, penetration. West in Earlier Heaven.
                              Last edited by MonsieurM; 06-16-2012, 12:52 PM.

Comment

• one last :

Emerald Tablet

Four is it in qualities,
                                but thirteen in one
                                the mystical number.

thirteen in one

13 - Death

The initiate willingly subjects himself to spiritual dismemberment ( unlearn / Learn ) , since he knows this is the first step of the transformative process. His soul must be dis-membered before its parts are re-collected and re-membered into a new whole, that is, before his soul can be resurrected. (Nichols 228) The putrefaction of the dead provides fertilizer for new growth, which is symbolized by the flowers growing among the body parts.

Comment

Working...
                                X