Use for the Tesla Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by blackchisel97 View Post
    I looked @ Vox site and your 555 setup. I would put 300 Ohm from pin 2 of H11 to the ground. Also, run pin 4 to base of (MJE13005-cheap, 700V), pin 5 to collector, emitter to the gate of SCR (700-800V), anode to collector. You can do it with MJE alone. They're tough against spikes and cheap
    Vtech, just to clarify - pins 4 & 5 refer to the H11D1 right?

A good cheap SCR is a TYN816 - 800V 16A. Usually available at Dick Smith or any decent electronics store. They'll still latch though if you try and push too much through them. (That's how I blew the MJL - the SCR latched and bang! 450V+ to the MJL - SOA is only 250V).
    You can also sub a 2N3440 for an MJE13005.

John K.

@Inq. "He's not the messiah, he's just a very naughty boy!"
    http://teslagenx.com

Comment

• Originally posted by John_K View Post
      Vtech, just to clarify - pins 4 & 5 refer to the H11D1 right? That's correct.

A good cheap SCR is a TYN816 - 800V 16A. Usually available at Dick Smith or any decent electronics store. They'll still latch though if you try and push too much through them. (That's how I blew the MJL - the SCR latched and bang! 450V+ to the MJL - SOA is only 250V).
      You can also sub a 2N3440 for an MJE13005.

John K.
      In my cap pulser and SS I use BTA12 600B, which is bi directional - triac. Didn't have problems yet. My optocouplers are H11D2.

Vtech
      Last edited by blackchisel97; 01-29-2010, 09:38 AM. Reason: edit
      'Get it all on record now - get the films - get the witnesses -because somewhere down the road of history some bastard will get up and say that this never happened'

General D.Eisenhower

http://www.nvtronics.org

Comment

• Thanks vtech, I'll try that for sure, I have an scr and will try small transistor, got lots of mpsa06's - will they do?

300ohm from H11d1 pin 2 to 555 pin ground. Then H11d1 pin 5 to collector of transistor, pin 4 to base of transistor.

Emitter of transistor to gate of scr. Anode of scr to collector of transistor. And cathode of scr to coil, coil to charge battery positive. Recovery diode to coil and scr cathode join, from charge battery negative?

Thanks for your help. Ps, do I still need protective diode and cap between the H11d1 pin 4 and the transistor base?

// for ppl who don't know what vtech and john and I are discussing, I'm trying to do this;

Tesla bedini - Vox

but replacing the scrap of paper in that pic with this;

1 post tagged “"variable pulde width signal generator 555 timer"” - Inquorate’s Blog on Vox

@ John_K - 'you're all individuals!'
        Atoms move for free. It's all about resonance and phase. Make the circuit open and build a generator.

Comment

• Originally posted by Inquorate View Post
          Thanks vtech, I'll try that for sure, I have an scr and will try small transistor, got lots of mpsa06's - will they do? 06 has only 80Vdc. It will trigger SCR but will die quickly if exposed to any spike. I blew one SCR before but MJE13005 survived. It may work in your circuit.

300ohm from H11d1 pin 2 to 555 pin ground. Then H11d1 pin 5 to collector of transistor, pin 4 to base of transistor.

Emitter of transistor to gate of scr. Anode of scr to collector of transistor. And cathode of scr to coil, coil to charge battery positive. Recovery diode to coil and scr cathode join, from charge battery negative?

Thanks for your help. Ps, do I still need protective diode and cap between the H11d1 pin 4 and the transistor base? No, it should be fine without.

// for ppl who don't know what vtech and john and I are discussing, I'm trying to do this;

Tesla bedini - Vox

but replacing the scrap of paper in that pic with this;

1 post tagged “"variable pulde width signal generator 555 timer"” - Inquorate’s Blog on Vox

@ John_K - 'you're all individuals!'
          You're welcome
          V
          'Get it all on record now - get the films - get the witnesses -because somewhere down the road of history some bastard will get up and say that this never happened'

General D.Eisenhower

Comment

• I couldn't edit my last post. I can't read the value of the cap from pin 5 (555) to the ground but it should be 0.01uF. It protects from false triggering.

V

Edit: One more thing came to my mind; there is a "kind of" diode which could protect transistor, I forgot the name of it. It works like a high voltage Zener and could go between collector and emitter. I never used this and I may be wrong about the way it works. Someone smarter will correct me here.
            Last edited by blackchisel97; 01-29-2010, 10:26 AM. Reason: edit

General D.Eisenhower

Comment

• Hi gang. Great work Bits. I am watching your updates with great anticipation....

Just an update on my mechanical.

I have ordered materials for my new designed 4 pair commutator switch.

I will try not using semi conductors at all and see what happens.

The design kept changing until finally I came up with something that I think will work best.

Will post more when I get the new switch made.

regards,

Murlin

Comment

• Originally posted by Murlin View Post
                Hi gang. Great work Bits. I am watching your updates with great anticipation....

Just an update on my mechanical.

I have ordered materials for my new designed 4 pair commutator switch.

I will try not using semi conductors at all and see what happens.

The design kept changing until finally I came up with something that I think will work best.

Will post more when I get the new switch made.

regards,

Murlin
                Thanks Murlin, I look forward to seeing it.

Comment

• Originally posted by blackchisel97 View Post
                  Mark, we're running 18X

Vtech
                  Got it. 18X Thanks for making it clear.

Comment

• Controller

Has anyone here seen this controller? It has an Atmel chip on board and a guy in S.A. says it's charging a battery from it's self. I hope this is not to far off topic, but it is interesting. He has it connected to a toroid with three windings.
                    (tri-filar??) I would imagine that the same process is taking place, from the TS, just a slightly different twist.
                    Mark

This is the address
                    Pictures by watkykjy1 - Photobucket

Comment

• Originally posted by nvisser
                      JB Quoted:"You know a light bulb just turned on. What if we could use the Bi- Polar switch in the Tesla Switch then we would know when it was off. One switch for charging a cap the other for the dump."

I patched a few of his diagrams together to try and get what he was talking about.
                      Of coarse I can be wrong as usual
                      In this circuit both banks switch to series together with the left part of the bipolar switch. That course the cap bank to charge up.
                      Then only the right side of the bipolar switch goes on and drops the voltage onto all 4 batteries.
                      The bulbs are in the charge and discharge cycle
                      If anybody thinks this can work I will try it
                      Looks good Vissie.

Bit's

Comment

• [QUOTE=Rl2003;83010]Has anyone here seen this controller? It has an Atmel chip on board and a guy in S.A. says it's charging a battery from it's self. I hope this is not to far off topic, but it is interesting. He has it connected to a toroid with three windings.
                        (tri-filar??) I would imagine that the same process is taking place, from the TS, just a slightly different twist.
                        Mark

He uses Bob Boyce Pwm modulator and toroid that was intended to drive the 101 plate electrolizer
                        All 3 frequencies are the same and above 100khz and of minimum duty cycle. The pic drives 3 mosfet drivers and the 3 mosfets drives the 3 primary coils. The secondary are not even used there. Because of the small duty cycle the circuit draws very little current and he feeds the reactive pulses from the drains of the fets back to the battery through 3 very fast recovery time diodes and a choke. Just like the John Bedini`s SSG.
                        That setup gives a very sharp risetime of the pulses. About 30nsec.
                        I saw it charging. Lives 20 km from Watkykjy
                        The circuit has to be switched off before you can change the pic parameters and is not as easy as the picaxe that Bitts uses

Comment

• Originally posted by Bit's-n-Bytes View Post
                          Looks good Vissie.

Bit's
                          Does that now means I have to built it!!
                          I am not sure if the bipolar switch will switch on with the floating cap voltage and the base pulse coming from somewhere else
                          If you look at patent 6677730 you will see that the negative are shared between cap bank, battery and supply
                          Last edited by nvisser; 01-29-2010, 08:09 PM.

Comment

• Looks great!

@ vissie

That looks great! Of course you have to build it! None of us will get any sleep until you do. Seriously, that does look good. I had been thinking about how to incorporate the bipolar switch into the TS ever since someone reminded us about JB's comment a couple of days ago. I have just been too busy with restoring our house to give it serious effort.

If you are concerned about the triggering I would consider replacing the MPS8599s with MPSA06s then you could just connect a H11d1 between the collector and base of it with the diode and cap just like Bits is doing with his build and I also am doing with mine. I have a board built with 6 MJL21194s and the optos to fire them from the picaxe chip. I have the collector and emitter leads coming off the board so I can hook them up in different configurations of the TS. So far I have had no problems getting them to fire.

Again that is a great idea to put it together like that.

Carroll
                            Just because someone disagrees with you does NOT make them your enemy. We can disagree without attacking someone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rl2003 View Post
                              Has anyone here seen this controller? It has an Atmel chip on board and a guy in S.A. says it's charging a battery from it's self. I hope this is not to far off topic, but it is interesting. He has it connected to a toroid with three windings.
                              Mark

This is the address
                              Pictures by watkykjy1 - Photobucket
                              I've been following watkyky's work and it is interesting. Check out these videos starting with this one.

YouTube - Battery charging with the hex controller (1 of 4)

Jason

Comment

• switching

Hi,

Charging rate being different from day time and night-time was changed by
                                its temperature. At that time it was so cold in my local region. Anyway.

Getting back to the basic,
                                "I have come to a strange conclusion that SWITCHING IS EVERYTHING" from JB' post #1162.
                                "How a transistor really switches used in a differential mode" from JB's post #454 at the beginning of this forum.

What a snail pace I am.
                                SWITCHING in a differential mode, (INVERTED) POTENTIAL SWITCHING,
                                This is a my starting point and the first time learning how to control the transistor
                                with only potential without the current(maybe almost none of current).

JANG

Comment

Working...
                                X