Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working TS

Hi again Bits,

Glad to hear you are getting steady charging now. Do you have the circuit with the toroid coil posted anywhere and what kind of timing are you using now? I still have not found the right combination of load and timing to get any more than very minor charging. I have sure learned a lot about programming the picaxe18 though so the time has not been wasted. Thanks again for putting me on to that neat little chip.

Originally posted by Bit's-n-Bytes View Post
    Gene thanks for the post, and welcome. The transformer DOES work. The interesting thing the transformer has shown me is that in my setup, the resistance needs to be about 1.5 Ohms. I replaced the transformer with a torrid and my batts are gaining very nicely when I am using the D-TS to just charge.

Thanks

Bit's
    Thanks, Carroll
    Just because someone disagrees with you does NOT make them your enemy. We can disagree without attacking someone.

Comment

• Originally posted by citfta View Post
      Hi again Bits,

Glad to hear you are getting steady charging now. Do you have the circuit with the toroid coil posted anywhere and what kind of timing are you using now? I still have not found the right combination of load and timing to get any more than very minor charging. I have sure learned a lot about programming the picaxe18 though so the time has not been wasted. Thanks again for putting me on to that neat little chip.

Thanks, Carroll
      Hi Carroll, I am in the process of creating that drawing. I am glad you like the chip as it is very flexible. Here is the timing;

do
      high 4, 5
      pause 400
      low 4, 5
      pause 100
      high 6, 7
      pause 400
      low 6, 7
      pause 100
      inc b1
      loop while b1 < 5

Thanks

Bit's

Comment

• output voltge question

I recently raised the frequency of my drive circuit the output voltage went up to over 13v ac.

Battery voltages
        1. 12.28
        2. 12.25
        3. 12.37
        4. 12.42

I am using only the six transistors for the switching no diodes. But i would expect the AC output to be at least as low as the average of the batteries. i am using an inductive drive circuit to seek out a tuning level that works for me.

I have observed a direct correlation of increase in drive frequency to a increase in output voltage. My meter was reading .45khz at the time of this measurement. at 6.36khz the output AC is around 15 volts.

Has anyone else seen this or know where it's coming from?

Comment

• Thats how inductive load work. They transform the amperage into voltage.

Its kinda like a damn you are slowing the current down and piling up the potential. When it finally comes out its at a higher level but the amount flowing out is less.

You can check this for efficiency in a TS by knowing the amperage going in and the amperage coming out. Also the Volts on the input side and the volts on the output side. You might have to use a diode somewhere to check all that.
          Anyway figure your watts and you can see what kind of loss you are taking and how much is actually hitting the charge batteries.

Hope that helps
          Matt

Comment

• using relay contacts to switch

Did you guys see post 27-29 on this thread?
            http://www.energeticforum.com/renewa...circuit-2.html
            I think we all should try the tesla switch with relays just to see if that sharp fast switching rising and falling edge pulses do make a difference.
            It made a huge difference for Zooty pulsing his batteries through a relay .
            We know ,as John told us, that the contacts won't last for long.

Comment

• Just depends on the rate you switch. 2 hz or less...No problems, maybe even as fast as 20 hertz . But if you go to fast you will heat the things up.

But you can build relays if you have some Tungsten that will hold up even under the worst loads. A coil, 2 magnets, a hinge, a spring, and a set of automotive points plus whatever mounting hardware.

I find alot things that they work better for.

Just don't count on real high frequency speeds at low cost.

Matt

Comment

• I thought about every 1 second like we're all doing now to try and get charging.
                So normal relays would do?

Comment

• Oh ya any automotive relay can do that easy. You can get them pretty high amp to.

In fact i just bought a bunch today.
                  Scooter parts 24 volt 40 amp SPDT's. (Edit had to change the link)

The biggest advantage to using relays is in a tesla switch is they cost nothing to switch. The potential difference can switch them. Thats why I like them. And of course no potential drop.

We'll see how long they will hold up soon. I am putting together a 24 volt system with 6 new batteries a large motor and a small alternator.
                  The motor only cost 100 watts hrs to run with a 10 lbs load on the motor. I should be able to generate easy to charge batts.

We'll see.

Matt

Comment

• Question to the electronic guys

I think we all know that we need fast switching or fast rise and fall times on the TS and that the parallel cap and diode is probably doing that.
                    Can you use a mosfet driver with a series current limiting resistor on the MJL bipolar transistor?
                    The one that Doubled used on his mosfet switch is an opto mosfet driver and has rise and fall times of around 70nsec!! The FOD3120
                    It will be easy to just replace our current optos with them.
                    Leroy said that the MJL probably cannot even switch so fast.
                    Then we do it the Bearden way!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Matthew Jones View Post
                      Oh ya any automotive relay can do that easy. You can get them pretty high amp to.

In fact i just bought a bunch today.
                      Scooter parts 24 volt 40 amp SPDT's. (Edit had to change the link)

The biggest advantage to using relays is in a tesla switch is they cost nothing to switch. The potential difference can switch them. Thats why I like them. And of course no potential drop.

We'll see how long they will hold up soon. I am putting together a 24 volt system with 6 new batteries a large motor and a small alternator.
                      The motor only cost 100 watts hrs to run with a 10 lbs load on the motor. I should be able to generate easy to charge batts.

We'll see.

Matt
                      Nice one Matt
                      What do you mean by "The potential difference can switch them"
                      How will you connect it?
                      Are you doing the 6 battery switch like in the Brandt document only with relays?

Comment

• What do you mean by "The potential difference can switch them"
                        How will you connect it?
                        See this image
                        All you have to do is turn the transistor long enough to create a serial connection in the battery and the flow of potential from one side to the next locks the relay into an ON state. Low Switching cost.
                        Thats how my other circuit works(You know the "time machine") ISCC

Are you doing the 6 battery switch like in the Brandt document only with relays?
                        Ya because its a 24 volt motor.

I am tired of little things. I wanna find out whats possible so I got some big 100 amp hour batts, and a 130 amp alternator. The motor I have had but if it works as far as charging or maintaining I am going to buy a bigger motor and some real big relays.

I gotta find out what possible on a larger scale. Almost 3 years now playing with little stuff. Time to step up and see if it can be scaled.

Matt

Comment

• Tesla Switch Con't

Hi Bits, Leroy,

Thanks for the info Bits. So you are using a transformer which has the windings for the ~12volts potential to be pushed thru them... Whats on the secondary side? Does it output 12volts as well or steps it up to some higher voltage? Are you collecting that output into a cap or are you just using the inductors of the transformer to retard the current flow from the batteries?

Classic inductor usage causes current to lag the volts by 60-90degrees so depending on the inductance value, the current would be retarded some amount... Prolly would need to figure the time constant for what that inductance is and apply it to the ohms law for the resistance of the inductor to find the max current allowed to flow and then the amount of time it takes for the DC source to be connected to the inductor to reach maximum current flow thru the inductor.

Leroy, Bedini notes that open cored trafos are "open systems" such that the magnetic flux isn't all being kept in the E-I laminate core as in conventional transformers. It seems like a simple trafo to setup would be to get three strands of whatever wire guage (dependant on the volts/amps you want to push thru it) and wind them all on a common axis coil form. You can then use a core or leave it air cored... the main difference will be the rates at which it is capable of being powered. Air core will handle high frequencies but we're lookin at really low frequencies so perhaps using iron welding rod in the core will work. Winding all three strands of the same guage and same length means you have a perfect impedance match and would only use 2 of the strands for the TS side of things... one for the first directional pulse and the other for the opposing directional pulse so that the 3rd wire is seeing this as modified sine AC. The 3rd wire can then be put thru a fwbr into a small cap to see what max volts might be reached...

Sizing of the cap will determine both max volts and max time to charge to max volts... small uF will reach a higher peak volts and take less time to charge than larger uF caps which will reach lower peak volts and take somewhat longer to charge.

I think when people say 50/50 duty, whats really meant is 25/25/25/25 as if you look at even a modified sine inverters output on a scope you have a full period in view that has two on times and two off times and all 4 slices of the timing is the same. Meaning they are all 4mS slices or whatever it is that lets one see 60hz as the output. Thus the full period is 16ms but its divided evenly into two off times and two on times that alternate on/off/on/off. I think another on this thread hit on this as they noted they needed the dead (read as off) time to be able to get more from the system.

Good stuff... Opinions are just that tho... opinions. Bench it and see so you Know what it is you're opining about. (not even sure opining is a word but that works.) Once you Know, its no longer an opinion but an observed fact in physical reality. I'm not saying don't speculate but I am saying build the speculation on the bench and validate or invalidate it so you Know. I hope to be adapting my custom analog controller to work the TS here shortly as I'm currently using it for a different vein of bedini-ish experiments.

Take care,
                          Gene

Originally posted by Bit's-n-Bytes View Post
                          Gene thanks for the post, and welcome. The transformer DOES work. The interesting thing the transformer has shown me is that in my setup, the resistance needs to be about 1.5 Ohms. I replaced the transformer with a torrid and my batts are gaining very nicely when I am using the D-TS to just charge.

Thanks

Bit's

Comment

• The &quot;pulsinator&quot; driving relays

Originally posted by nvisser View Post
                            Nice one Matt
                            What do you mean by "The potential difference can switch them"
                            How will you connect it?
                            Check this out team;

YouTube - pulsinator controller.MPG
                            Last edited by Bit's-n-Bytes; 03-10-2010, 01:07 PM.

Comment

• Are you driving the relays with the potential or just switching them?

I'm glad you like it...

Matt

Comment

• Originally posted by Matthew Jones View Post
                                Are you driving the relays with the potential or just switching them?

I'm glad you like it...

Matt
                                Just switching them.

Bit's

Comment

Working...
                                X