Use for the Tesla Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Inquorate View Post
    555 timers keep dying. So far, after two 1hr runs, the net resting voltage has increased 0.03v

Nothing to write home about. I've gotta figure out another way to pulse the coil, probably mechanically like a self oscillating relay. And I'll go back to the extra recovery coil.
    @Inquorate
    What do you have between 555 and coil? They are sensitive but quite simple solution to do the job you need.

Vtech
    'Get it all on record now - get the films - get the witnesses -because somewhere down the road of history some bastard will get up and say that this never happened'

General D.Eisenhower

http://www.nvtronics.org

Comment

555 timers keep dying. So far, after two 1hr runs, the net resting voltage has increased 0.03v

Nothing to write home about. I've gotta figure out another way to pulse the coil, probably mechanically like a self oscillating relay. And I'll go back to the extra recovery coil.
      Hi Inquorate,

Have you tried a solid-state SSG to pulse the coil?

I have one running, but my SLABs are junk. I can adjust the load from almost zero amps up to over 1 amp and it will charge a 4th battery as well.

Let me know if you have any questions. The circuit is from p46 of FEG, I was running a trifilar with a FWBR. I changed it to a bifilar, a-la vanilla SSG circuit. I didn't seem to make much difference, but I didn't run i long enough to be sure.

John K.
      http://teslagenx.com

Comment

• I'm being cautiously optimistic but after 45min run and 15min rest I noted total net gain of 0.13V It's a "drop" comparing to Bit's results but I'm happy and highly motivated to tweak further with a load.

Vtech
        'Get it all on record now - get the films - get the witnesses -because somewhere down the road of history some bastard will get up and say that this never happened'

General D.Eisenhower

Comment

• @ vtech and John_K - I've got the same H11d1 optoisolator, cap and diode as most here.

But I've killed 2 transistors, 4 optoisolators, 2 lm555's, and 2 tl494's, and 4 diodes...

Hardly cost efficient

I'll have to rig up a solid state bedini Bifilar coil, potentiometer on the base, etc etc. And an extremely rugged transistor.

Life keeps getting in the way just now, so might be a while till I can show more progress.

@ all, keep plugging away, the tesla switch does appear to be a winner.
          Atoms move for free. It's all about resonance and phase. Make the circuit open and build a generator.

Comment

@ vtech and John_K - I've got the same H11d1 optoisolator, cap and diode as most here.

But I've killed 2 transistors, 4 optoisolators, 2 lm555's, and 2 tl494's, and 4 diodes...

Hardly cost efficient

I'll have to rig up a solid state bedini Bifilar coil, potentiometer on the base, etc etc. And an extremely rugged transistor.

Life keeps getting in the way just now, so might be a while till I can show more progress.

@ all, keep plugging away, the tesla switch does appear to be a winner.
            Inquorate,

My order of prefernce for trannys - MJL21194, MJ15024G, 2N3055.

@Vtech, well done mate. Keep chugging away!

John K.

P.S @Inquorate - Love ya quotes mate! "Blessed are the cheesemakers!"

Comment

• @ John_K - Surely you mean to refer to any manufacturers of dairy products?
              Atoms move for free. It's all about resonance and phase. Make the circuit open and build a generator.

Comment

• Originally posted by nvisser View Post
                Mr Bedini posts this statement a while ago and I cannot remember of much response to it.
                You know a light bulb just turned on. What if we could use the Bi- Polar switch in the Tesla Switch then we would know when it was off. One switch for charging a cap the other for the dump.
                JB

This is probably the principle he uses on that monster of a solar charger.
                Did you look at the last 3 videos that Downunder posted of Johns charger?

I think what John means by us using the bipolar switch on the TS could be as follows:
                By switching the first 2 batteries in series. Then switch the 24V with the left side of the bipolar switch to a huge cap bank.
                When that side switch completely off the right side of the bipolar switch drop that cap potential onto the then parallel right hand side (12v)
                And of course vice versa.
                If I may comment here, I have had some small experience with Mr Bedinis bipolar switch, mostly on window motors.

For those who dont know, the bipolar switch works in a way that allows a load (the drive coil in this case) to be completely isolated from the source. The full bipolar switch allows for that same coil to oscillate alternating current, by inverting a second half circuit over the first.

Depending upon which half of the circuit is triggered will depend upon which way current is directed through the coil. The important thing I think here is that you can have a load which is hooked up to two different sources/ or alternate potentials and trigger which one fires through the load very easily, a small signal to the base of the darlington transistor.

Now perhaps one side of the bipolar switch could have two batteries in series, and the other side two in parallel, or something of the sort? But Johns first comment has me thinking it might function more like the scalar charger, because it mentions caps? Im trying to visualise how it could help, perhaps others would be interested in briefly delving into the half/full bipolar switch, maybe something will jump out at you and prove useful?

Im happy to add what little knowledge I have gleaned from it, unfortunately, I am not as up to speed on others here with the Tesla Switch ATM. I have no funds to build so I sit here and eagerly watch your process (of which I might add is making me smile more and more each day )

Is anyone else here familiar with the switch, and if so, can you see a useful scenario within the TS for us?

Regards
                "Once you've come to the conclusion that what what you know already is all you need to know, then you have a degree in disinterest." - John Dobson

Comment

@ John_K - Surely you mean to refer to any manufacturers of dairy products?
                  Umm, yes Woderwick, or Woger.

BTW, still waiting for the PICAXE kit to arrive. I'm just messin' with solid-state SG circuits in the mean time.

I blew an MJL21194 the other day. I tried the circuit in JB's latest patent app. with a 330uF 450V cap, running off a trifilar iron-cored coil. The poor MJL which was used as the switch to dump the cap never new what hit it. The cap maxed out in about a quarter of a second - incredible. The circuit was only pulling about 400mA @ 12V.

Thanks JB!

John K.

Comment

• Originally posted by John_K View Post
                    Umm, yes Woderwick, or Woger.

BTW, still waiting for the PICAXE kit to arrive. I'm just messin' with solid-state SG circuits in the mean time.

I blew an MJL21194 the other day. I tried the circuit in JB's latest patent app. with a 330uF 450V cap, running off a trifilar iron-cored coil. The poor MJL which was used as the switch to dump the cap never new what hit it. The cap maxed out in about a quarter of a second - incredible. The circuit was only pulling about 400mA @ 12V.

Thanks JB!

John K.
                    It sounds like your onto something maxing that cap out so fast.
                    I also had a scr not knowing what hit it when using a to large cap.It was a TYN612. 12A and 140A non repetive peak current
                    That is probably why the patent shows a few fets in parralel.
                    Or a few Mjl`s like in the video?
                    If we want to charge a cap bank in the middle of the TS we have to use smaller caps as the bipolar switch transistors must be able to handle that surge?
                    Last edited by nvisser; 01-28-2010, 11:03 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ren View Post
                      If I may comment here, I have had some small experience with Mr Bedinis bipolar switch, mostly on window motors.

For those who dont know, the bipolar switch works in a way that allows a load (the drive coil in this case) to be completely isolated from the source. The full bipolar switch allows for that same coil to oscillate alternating current, by inverting a second half circuit over the first.

Depending upon which half of the circuit is triggered will depend upon which way current is directed through the coil. The important thing I think here is that you can have a load which is hooked up to two different sources/ or alternate potentials and trigger which one fires through the load very easily, a small signal to the base of the darlington transistor.

Now perhaps one side of the bipolar switch could have two batteries in series, and the other side two in parallel, or something of the sort? But Johns first comment has me thinking it might function more like the scalar charger, because it mentions caps? Im trying to visualise how it could help, perhaps others would be interested in briefly delving into the half/full bipolar switch, maybe something will jump out at you and prove useful?

Im happy to add what little knowledge I have gleaned from it, unfortunately, I am not as up to speed on others here with the Tesla Switch ATM. I have no funds to build so I sit here and eagerly watch your process (of which I might add is making me smile more and more each day )

Is anyone else here familiar with the switch, and if so, can you see a useful scenario within the TS for us?

Regards
                      Let's get together and talk, we'll grab coffee or something.

''Follow the gourd!''
                      Last edited by Inquorate; 01-28-2010, 11:19 AM.

Comment

• D-TS New test setup

Ok gang, take a look (look closley in the middle of the drawing) I get a usable voltage between 4 and 8 volts so far. Tweeking and tuning for more by pulsing this with the control of the PIC. Do not drive loads at J5 and J6 when in this setup.

Thanks

Bit's
                        Last edited by Bit's-n-Bytes; 05-25-2010, 02:53 AM.

Comment

Let's get together and talk, we'll grab coffee or something.

''Follow the gourd!''
                          Its a date. I'll call you early next week to tee up a time if you like?

Regards
                          "Once you've come to the conclusion that what what you know already is all you need to know, then you have a degree in disinterest." - John Dobson

Comment

• Cautiously Optimistic

Hi Vtech,

Originally posted by blackchisel97 View Post
                            I'm being cautiously optimistic but after 45min run and 15min rest I noted total net gain of 0.13V It's a "drop" comparing to Bit's results but I'm happy and highly motivated to tweak further with a load.

Vtech
                            Congratulations on a good build. If you are still getting good charging can you share with us what your timing and duty cycle are? And also what load you are using. I think you said you were using 12volt 7ah SLABs.

I am using the same batteries, but I have not gotten any charging yet. I have tried several loads and timing and duty cycles. The best I have gotten is for the TS to run for a long time and the battery voltage to come back to what it was before the run if I let them rest for an hour or so after the test. By a long time I mean overnight or all day.

I did run an interesting test last night. I am using the picaxe18x project board. I have separated the power for the output driver chip from the power for the picaxe chip. Last night I connected a bridge and cap as my load for the TS. I then powered the output driver chip from the bridge and cap. This meant my TS was supplying power for the chip and 6 optos and 4 Leds. I let it run for about 8 hours. After letting the batteries rest for and hour and a half they came back to exactly the same voltage they were before the test. The circuit I am using I posted back on post 1825 on page 61 of this thread. The timing I used for that test was 1 second on and then switch sides with no off time. I don't know why but I seem to get better results with no off time. I thought JB said early on that off time was needed, so I am confused with my results. I have proved to myself anyway that the circuit can be used to power a load and not drain the batteries. Now I just want to see it charge the batteries.

Carroll
                            Just because someone disagrees with you does NOT make them your enemy. We can disagree without attacking someone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bit's-n-Bytes View Post
                              Ok gang, take a look (look closley in the middle of the drawing) I get a usable voltage between 4 and 8 volts so far. Tweeking and tuning for more by pulsing this with the control of the PIC. Do not drive loads at J5 and J6 when in this setup.

Thanks

Bit's
                              So when Q1 fires it sends approx. 24V on the top rail where Q10 is. You'll notice a diode is placed just after the collector of Q10 which inturn connects a 35,000uf cap to the ground of batt 3. The same is true for the Q9 rail. On firing Q1, 24V is apparent on the first cap (it charges), then on the firing of Q2, 24V is apparent on the second cap. Steering diodes are also placed to put these 2 caps in series. You now have 48VDC at very little (charging) cost from the 12 V batts. Then the PIC monitors and uses 4 to 8 Volts off of this charge (again with no cost) to the batts.

Hope this helps.

Bit's
                              Last edited by Bit's-n-Bytes; 01-29-2010, 01:48 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bit's-n-Bytes View Post
                                So when Q1 fires it sends approx. 24V on the top rail where Q10 is. You'll notice a diode is placed just after the collector of Q10 which inturn connects a 35,000uf cap to the ground of batt 3. The same is true for the Q9 rail. On firing Q1, 24V is apparent on the first cap (it charges), then on the firing of Q2, 24V is apparent on the second cap. Steering diodes are also placed to put these 2 caps in series. You now have 48VDC at very little (charging) cost from the 12 V batts. Then the PIC monitors and uses 4 to 8 Volts off of this charge (again with no cost) to the batts.

Hope this helps.

Bit's
                                OMG Bit's, not so fast This looks to me like part of a Scalar Charger driven off the TS. Brilliant

@citfta I have a pretty "chopped" day and had to turn everything off when going out, several times. I'm still trying different loads and changing code every time. I don't want to drive everyone in circles but give a solid data with specific values and type of load which can be replicated. I went back to 5W 12V automotive bulbs - which are common but have to adjust code from previous ones (small grain bulbs in series of three). I'll share results as soon as I can.

I like tilting fish tank analogy. Very accurate

Vtech
                                Last edited by blackchisel97; 01-29-2010, 04:31 AM. Reason: edit

General D.Eisenhower

Comment

Working...
                                X