Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tesla Switch

Hi guys and gals,

Here's my re-type of my musings on the Tesla Switch, after losing what I wrote last night.

Like many of us, but not all, I became interested in this project after JB became invloved. I started with the 3 battery test, as JB suggested, to learn about differential potentials and which way the potentials are flowing. I learnt that if you place two 12V batteries in series and then connect them to a single 12V battery through a load, the the single 12V battery can charge fairly quickly without the two 12V batteries in parallel losing much in voltage. If you then rotate the charged 12V battery with the other two batteries, you can get all batteries charged up. This proved what JB had posted on his web pages for years, which I often looked at but never really understood until I'd done the experiment.

Ok, great. But how does this relate to the 4 battery Tesla Switch? According to folklore it should be as easy as adding a fourth battery to the 3 battery test and just switching between battery banks. In theory, all batteries should charge up without the need to rotate batteries around. Then the batteries could be used to power a load without the batteries ever having to be charged by any external source. Sounds easy, huh?

I began by replicating the original circuit that was printed in the Eike Mueller document from 1984, where Eike had spent a couple of days with JB after the Tesla Symposium to re-design JB's Tesla Switch that was originally designed for 5V NiCd batteries. My original design was using relays and a 555 timer to perform the switching between the two battery banks. This worked OK to a point, but I was losing a lot in driving the relays - as well as blowing up 555 timers regularly, probably due to bad hookups or bad connections. Also, I could not get the timing right and eventually the batteries ran down.

I then ordered a micro-controller to do the switching and timing to replace the 555 timers. I managed to get the circuit to work, although the best results I had, no matter what timing I used, was to get all batterires to very slowly increase their voltage by 0.01V every 10 minutes or so. Even then, the batteries would get to a point where they no longer charged, or ran down. I tried various different circuits, including the ones posted on JB's web-site and some other various circuits posted by other experimenters. Still, I could not get the circuit to charge the batteries like I expected they would. I also tried different types of batteries and different sizes, along the way varying the load and the timing.

I had already seen how quickly a particular battery would respond to a load in the 3 battery test and thought "why can't I get the batteries to charge as well as the 3 battery test?" (even with 4 batteries). I started to look at the circuit. Not being an EE, I wondered why did I need so many transistors and so many diodes to make the circuit work? It became fairly clear that with so many components, the losses within the components were having a drastic effect on the results I was expecting. No matter what type of load I used or the timing used to switch between battery banks, it made little difference to the results I was seeing.

Eventually, I became frustrated and looked at a different way to run the circuit. All I needed to do was to figure out the most efficient way to place two batteries in series and two batteries in parallel to get the most charge in one side without losing too much in the other side. So, I came up with a circuit that I thought would do that, which I have attached to this post.

The attached circuit does exactly that. I've removed all of the diodes that I've seen on the original JB circuit because I can't see a need for them so far. I also borrowed JB's suggestion of isolating the transistors from the switching curcuit to protect the components and added the parallel diode and capacitors to ensure fast and sure switching of the transistors. I'm not sure at this point in time if they are needed or not, but more testing will tell.

I've used a PIC controller to perform the switching because it's simple to change the timing "on-the-fly" and I don;t have to mess with 555 timers or the like. Currently I am not switching battery banks, because I am basing my experiment on the 3 battery switch and JB's suggestion of allowing the charging battery bank to become fully charged before swapping banks.

After 8 hours of operation I've seen a gain of almost 1.5V across all battery banks. Below is a snapshot of what I have so far:

Time B1 B3 B2 B4 Total voltage
    12:00 12.68 12.44 12.52 12.57 50.21
    14:15 13.22 12.92 12.25 12.49 50.88
    15:07 13.27 12.99 12.23 12.48 50.97
    15:56 13.34 13.06 12.23 12.47 51.1
    17:47 13.48 13.26 12.20 12.42 51.36
    20:09 13.58 13.38 12.16 12.36 51.48

The timestamp at 12:00 was taken with all batteries resting. Further timestamps are with the switch running on just one side. Of course, when the switch is turned off I expect to see B1 & B3 drop in voltage whilst B2 & B4 will increase in volatge once the load is released.

All batteries are Trojan SCS225 marine deep cycle batteries rated at 130Ah at the C20 rate. Normally each of these batteries would take over 6 hours to charge up to these volatges on a conventional charger.

Essentially my circuit is still the 3 battery test circuit, with a fourth battery placed in parallel. The circuit places B2 & B4 in series and at the same time palces B1 & B3 in parallel. The switching is set to pulse the low side (B1 & B3) for 1 second and then pause for 0.1 seconds. This allows the charging bank to "soak up" the charge, whilst also allowing a small rest period (0.1 second) to trick the source bank to think it does not have a load on it. The load I'm using is a 12V 55W quartz halogen lamp (aka MR16) that are commonly used in 12V downlights.

Well, I think I've bored you enough with the details, but it does appear to be working how I want it to work. My plan is to continue to allow the 12V bank to continue charging until either each battery gets to 14.5V, or the 24V bank becomes too low to support the load and the 12V bank will no longer increase in charge. This will probably take overnight to happen, either way - but considering the size of the batteries I need to be patient.

Please check the circuit for errors or if you think there could be improvements, otherwise feel free to replicate yourself. I hope to post a video or pictures in the next day or so, so if there is anything you want included, feel free to let me know.

John K.

P.S. I'm glad I got to get this posted before I stuffed it up again!
    Attached Files
    http://teslagenx.com

Comment

• Originally posted by John_K View Post
      Hi guys and gals,
      The attached circuit does exactly that. I've removed all of the diodes that I've seen on the original JB circuit because I can't see a need for them so far. I also borrowed JB's suggestion of isolating the transistors from the switching curcuit to protect the components and added the parallel diode and capacitors to ensure fast and sure switching of the transistors. I'm not sure at this point in time if they are needed or not, but more testing will tell.
      John K.

John K,

Good circuit, It is more like the scalar charger in configuration, and you are right, you don't need the diodes in this circuit. If the transistors are matched well, you have the same drop over the transistors and both batteries should charge well. Great mods

Leroy
      Last edited by ldissing; 02-17-2010, 02:31 PM.

Comment

John K.

Very nicely done John. I think that I am going to have a go and test this out.

Thanks

Bit's
        Last edited by Bit's-n-Bytes; 02-17-2010, 01:15 PM.

Comment

• Way to go John K . . .

Hi John K,

Nicely done (I'm remembering an earlier post about perserverance . . . way to go) - looking forward to 14.5V 4x4

Cheers,

Plazma

Comment

• Left out in the cold..

We were left out in the cold….
            Now we try every possible circuit we can think of to get batteries to charge themselves.
            Me myself have posted my fair share of modified circuits.
            I can recall that John Bedini , when he joined this forum for his short visit, said that he saw a lot of circuits of the TS and I am not to sure now but I think he mentioned that his version was the only that will work.
            This is now all from memory, but there were phrases like:
            It `s all in the device, not the switching.---so we all bought MJL`s!!
            See how much potential you can pass in a usec before the current starts to flow.
            And -- It’s a current charge pump.
            And many more confusing statements

I think we should stay with the original circuit with all the shotkey diodes and all 6 transistors and keep on trying and trying.
            I have my doubts on the 2 transistor circuit. No matter how I look at it, I see a dead short on the positive side over the top battery.
            He did say we should try to implement a capacitor with the bipolar switch into the TS and I think we should investigate that.

I still haven’t got a decent adjustable flip flop so my hands are tied a bit. I still try a little bit every night to get the sg chip running but the vero board that it was built on is such a mess now , I should start on a new one, but the change is there that that pic will come in the post any day now. Not sure why it take so long from the UK.
            Bits packet from the USA only took a week to reach me!!

Than there is the change that John Bedini will actually come back and help us out of our misery.
            He did after all promise to hang around till all of us got it working.

Comment

• Tesla Switch

Originally posted by nvisser View Post
              We were left out in the cold….
              Now we try every possible circuit we can think of to get batteries to charge themselves.
              Me myself have posted my fair share of modified circuits.
              I can recall that John Bedini , when he joined this forum for his short visit, said that he saw a lot of circuits of the TS and I am not to sure now but I think he mentioned that his version was the only that will work.
              This is now all from memory, but there were phrases like:
              It `s all in the device, not the switching.---so we all bought MJL`s!!
              See how much potential you can pass in a usec before the current starts to flow.
              And -- It’s a current charge pump.
              And many more confusing statements

I think we should stay with the original circuit with all the shotkey diodes and all 6 transistors and keep on trying and trying.
              I have my doubts on the 2 transistor circuit. No matter how I look at it, I see a dead short on the positive side over the top battery.
              He did say we should try to implement a capacitor with the bipolar switch into the TS and I think we should investigate that.

I still haven’t got a decent adjustable flip flop so my hands are tied a bit. I still try a little bit every night to get the sg chip running but the vero board that it was built on is such a mess now , I should start on a new one, but the change is there that that pic will come in the post any day now. Not sure why it take so long from the UK.
              Bits packet from the USA only took a week to reach me!!

Than there is the change that John Bedini will actually come back and help us out of our misery.
              He did after all promise to hang around till all of us got it working.
              Vissie,

I think JB has given us all we need to get this working. But, we still need to think for ourselves and think outside of the box a bit. JB also said that we could do this any way we want, we don't have to stick to the original circuit. As long as the basic principles are stuck to, it should work.

The TS is a very tricky circuit to get working. I don't think JB ever quantified what he defines as "working", I mean if the batteries charge it works. How fats they charge is up to each person's expectations. I don't expect that the batteries should charge any faster they they would normally charge on a conventional charger, but I also believe they should charge a little quicker than 0.01V per hour.

Once your PICAXE finally arrives you'll be able to tweak it a bit easier than with the SG3524, which can be a bit flaky from all reports.

Keep perservering, you will get there but I don't think it's going to be handed to us on a platter.

John K.

Comment

• Tesla Switch

Originally posted by ldissing View Post
                John K,

Good circuit, It is more like the scalar charger in configuration, and you are right, you don't need the diodes in this circuit. If the transistors are matched well, you have the same drop over the transistors and both batteries should charge well. Great mods

Leroy
                Thanks Lero, Bit's and Plazma.

I cam ein this morning and found the batteries that power the PIC were dead, so at some stage during the night it stopped. The testing volatges still looked encouraging though, with B1 at 13.03 and B3 at 12.82.

I've switched sides to see what the other side will do but I noticed straight away that the 12V 55W halogen bulb is brighter on this side. Part of it will be because the 24V side is at a higher potential, but I think Leroy is right in that my transistors aren't matched very well. Today I'll try and find six MJL's that are within 5% of each other and then keep testing.

Of course with a big load like this, the middle transistor gets hot but I have them all on a massive heat sink which keeps them at around 30C (80F).

I have everything mounted on a bread board as well, which could be causing a few problems with crap connections as well.

Soldiering on...

John K.

Comment

The testing volatges still looked encouraging though, with B1 at 13.03 and B3 at 12.82.
                  Won't let me edit??

Should've read "The resting volatges still looked encouraging though, with B1 at 13.03 and B3 at 12.82.

John K.

Comment

• @Carroll

Carroll, thanks!

For anyone that wants the direct links:

http://www.energeticforum.com/82041-post1825.html

http://www.energeticforum.com/75195-post551.html
                    Sincerely,
                    Aaron Murakami

Books & Videos https://emediapress.com
                    Conference http://energyscienceconference.com
                    RPX & MWO http://vril.io

Comment

• @Caroll too...and Aaron

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                      Wow, I totally missed that first link to your schematic. It's the same one that I just posted are are currently testing.

Sorry I missed it when you posted it, it might have saved me a lot of time and frustration.

How is your testing going with that circuit?

John K.

Comment

• Re: no diode TS

Hi John,

Well the only thing I have really decided is that I can run a slightly larger load on the TS without the diodes without running the batteries down. If I keep my bulb sizes low I can run them for a long time on either TS. But on the TS without the diodes I can run a slightly larger bulb. I have not tried the really long time cycles that some of you have tried. I am keeping my on times in the lower ms range from 2ms to 50ms or so. The reason I am doing that is because of a post by JohnStone. On post number 2075 he discusses the problem of trying to turn on the transistor using the voltage from the collector side of the transistor. As soon as the transistor turns fully on the collector voltage drops and there is not enough left to keep the base fully biased for a full turn on of the transistor. I set my pic up for long time cycles and measured the drop across the transistors and he was right. After a few ms the circuit stabilizes and there is a voltage drop of about 1.5 to 1.7 volts across each transistor. I think this may mean the only way to get the TS to show real charging would be to use the original circuit with the transformer winding from base to emitter. Of course the problem with that is you are restricted to fairly short on times because of the transformer action. I noticed you said your transistors were getting warm. If you measure the drop across them you will see they are not fully on and that is why they are getting warm. I can run mine with a very short off time and they do not heat up as long as the on time is short so they don't spend a lot of time partially on. Well I have rambled on enough so I better post this before I hit a wrong key and lose it all. I have done that before too. You're not the only one!

Good luck on your testing, Carroll
                        Just because someone disagrees with you does NOT make them your enemy. We can disagree without attacking someone.

Comment

• Everyone seems to be saying there's no end in sight.

Bits has it working. So has John_K and citfta.

Skywatcher and citfta have replicated my findings with the 3 battery bedini coil hybrid TS.

My system is ridiculously simple.
                          Atoms move for free. It's all about resonance and phase. Make the circuit open and build a generator.

Comment

• Originally posted by Inquorate View Post
                            Everyone seems to be saying there's no end in sight.

Bits has it working. So has John_K and citfta.

Skywatcher and citfta have replicated my findings with the 3 battery bedini coil hybrid TS.

My system is ridiculously simple.
                            Define "working". Mine is "working" since day one, but that does not mean it charges. I can run a load fine, but is that "working"? If the batteries run down over time, is that "working". I do think a coil may be necessary, as we need a high voltage spike to get the batteries into a "real" recharge mode, so maybe the coil is the next thing to do.

Leroy

P.S. The TS circuit is ridiculously simple!
                            Last edited by ldissing; 02-18-2010, 03:03 AM.

Comment

• @Bits,

Inquorate says you have it "working". I see many different circuits coming from you...and they are all very interesting, but this makes me believe that you do not have it "working". Doing something, yes, but maintaining the charge and running the load, no. Please tell me you can run a load and NOT have the batteries decrease in voltage (but only if you really do), because I will be happy as a pig in slop because there is hope for me. I'm not bashing you at all, so I hope you do not take it that way, I just want to know. Do your batteries maintain the voltage and/or charge AND run a load? Even if your last circuit just charges the batteries with no load, I will be trying that circuit out tomorrow. Does your last circuit charge all 4 batteries? (How big are the heat sinks on the no-load battery charger?)

Thanks,

Leroy

Comment

• Originally posted by ldissing View Post
                                @Bits,

"working". Doing something, yes, but maintaining the charge and running the load
                                Thanks,

Leroy
                                Here is the scoop, I have designed, built, assembled and yes "Destroyed" many configurations, but I have only been able to "Sustain" battery voltage while running a small load (1157's). I have been able to charge caps through transformer action and direct that energy into a load. That said, "working" you bet, but am I satisfied, "Not at all". My goal is to be able to "charge" a battery bank of 4 batts and run an inverter to supply power to my home. I will achieve this (mainly because I am very persistent). I would also like to share a very pleasant conversation that I had with John last week regarding the information he shares in this forum. John is all about people "learning" and "exploring". It's to easy when the answers are given to the test, but if that is the case, do we "ever learn". He commented that there are many brilliant minds on this forum and with the "Clues" that we have been given, "We will obtain success". I am just as guilty as the next for coming up with different ideas on how to achieve our goal, but after speaking with John, as long as we understand the "fundamentals" there are no limits. After all, he will be the first to admit "He is an analog guy", but appreciates the digital age. Simply stated, John has not let us down. He has given us the opportunity to excel!

Comment

Working...
                                X