Use for the Tesla Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bit's-n-Bytes View Post
    ... but I have only been able to "Sustain" battery voltage while running a small load (1157's)...
    So, was that with your circuit that contained PNPs? What was the size of the batteries you were using?

Leroy

P.S. People all learn in different ways. If someone showed me something and told me why it worked, I'd be able to do it again, and extrapolate from there and do other things. I will keep trying to get a sustaining system (your goal and mine are the same), but it may take me 30 years which is just a waste.

Comment

• Originally posted by ldissing View Post
      So, was that with your circuit that contained PNPs? What was the size of the batteries you were using?

Leroy

P.S. People all learn in different ways. If someone showed me something and told me why it worked, I'd be able to do it again, and extrapolate from there and do other things. I will keep trying to get a sustaining system (your goal and mine are the same), but it may take me 30 years which is just a waste.
      So far, sustainable loads with the NPN's, and PNP's. Able to charge with the "Pulsinator II" but not drive a load yet. Batt types are the ES5L-BS and the 210 CCA garden tractor batts.

Bit's

Comment

Here is the scoop, I have designed, built, assembled and yes "Destroyed" many configurations, but I have only been able to "Sustain" battery voltage while running a small load (1157's). I have been able to charge caps through transformer action and direct that energy into a load. That said, "working" you bet, but am I satisfied, "Not at all". My goal is to be able to "charge" a battery bank of 4 batts and run an inverter to supply power to my home. I will achieve this (mainly because I am very persistent). I would also like to share a very pleasant conversation that I had with John last week regarding the information he shares in this forum. John is all about people "learning" and "exploring". It's to easy when the answers are given to the test, but if that is the case, do we "ever learn". He commented that there are many brilliant minds on this forum and with the "Clues" that we have been given, "We will obtain success". I am just as guilty as the next for coming up with different ideas on how to achieve our goal, but after speaking with John, as long as we understand the "fundamentals" there are no limits. After all, he will be the first to admit "He is an analog guy", but appreciates the digital age. Simply stated, John has not let us down. He has given us the opportunity to excel!
        Thank Bits
        I will keep that in mind.

Comment

... I would also like to share a very pleasant conversation that I had with John last week regarding the information he shares in this forum. John is all about people "learning" and "exploring". It's to easy when the answers are given to the test, but if that is the case, do we "ever learn". He commented that there are many brilliant minds on this forum and with the "Clues" that we have been given, "We will obtain success". I am just as guilty as the next for coming up with different ideas on how to achieve our goal, but after speaking with John, as long as we understand the "fundamentals" there are no limits. After all, he will be the first to admit "He is an analog guy", but appreciates the digital age. Simply stated, John has not let us down. He has given us the opportunity to excel!
          Well put Bit's. Frankly, I would be disappointed if John came to my shed, tweaked a few things, said "There you go, easy!" and left, because I would not have learnt anything from it. I'd get more satisfaction if I figured it out by myself with the clues that John and the other experimenters had given me.

I've has a similar conversation with John. As the old saying goes, "...teach a man to fish..."

I've researched John's stuff for a few years now and successfully built most of his devices. The only ones that didn't work was because I didn't build it right, not because I was given false or misleading information.

All fun and games this...back 2 da bench!

John K.
          http://teslagenx.com

Comment

• charge or run

is the question whether or not we should try and charge and run at the same time, or realistically can we charge, turn off the TS and switch to run, then back to charge? are we using up the available potential with the load? JB spoke of a box he created in the jenkins interviews of just such a device it would run, then recharge itself..... it was some kind of mic preamp for mobile recording that ran of nicads. I will try and find the quote.

Tom C
            http://www.teslagenx.com

Comment

• Spikes

Last night I saw something for the first time. I got the Flip flop working for a while. Say about 3 minutes before it started going nuts again.
              I measured with the scope from the positive side of a series bank to the other side of the load. That means battery, series transistor, battery, parallel transistor and load. Nearly the whole path. Only the schotkey diodes were excluded.
              With a 50% duty cycle on a 1 sec pulse /side I got a normal square wave going to about 18v. That is 24V – voltage drop over the 2 transistors and the 12v 21W bulb.
              When I took the duty cycle down to around 40% I think, spikes appeared on the end of each 18V square wave, The spikes voltage went up from 18V to 23V .
              I`m not sure if this means anything and the time was to short to see what it does to the batteries
              Last edited by nvisser; 06-19-2010, 12:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by stonewater View Post
                is the question whether or not we should try and charge and run at the same time, or realistically can we charge, turn off the TS and switch to run, then back to charge? are we using up the available potential with the load? JB spoke of a box he created in the jenkins interviews of just such a device it would run, then recharge itself..... it was some kind of mic preamp for mobile recording that ran of nicads. I will try and find the quote.

Tom C
                Tom C,

Ideally, the TS should charge the batteries at low frequency (2Hz) and run the load at high frequency (60Hz), since that is what JB said on the Jenkins interview.

I'd be happy just to charge the batteries at this stage and worry about running a load once the first part is fugured out.

John K.

Comment

• Tesla Switch

Hi folks,

I figured out why the 55W bulb was not lit the same from each side. It ended up being a dead 1N914 diode between the H11D1 and Q5 - a 1 cent part. Goodness knows how long it had been dead and I was chasing my tail!

So, make sure you check all your parts before throwing away a particular setup. You might have had it but because a 1 cent part was dead you believed the circuit wasn't working or you had a bad connection somewhere!

Testing has resumed, all parts have been confirmed as "working".

Beleive it or not, the batteries are slowly charging up, even after 15 minutes run time. I'll let it go overnight and report back in the morning.

John K.

Comment

• Originally posted by nvisser View Post
                    Last night I saw something for the first time. I got the Flip flop working for a while. Say about 3 minutes before it started going nuts again.
                    I measured with the scope from the positive side of a series bank to the other side of the load. That means battery, series transistor, battery, parallel transistor and load. Nearly the whole path. Only the schotkey diodes were excluded.
                    With a 50% duty cycle on a 1 sec pulse /side I got a normal square wave going to about 18v. That is 24V – voltage drop over the 2 transistors and the 12v 21W bulb.
                    When I took the duty cycle down to around 40% I think, spikes appeared on the end of each 18V square wave, The spikes voltage went up from 18V to 23V .
                    I`m not sure if this means anything and the time was to short to see what it does to the batteries
                    Vissie, I am able to see those spikes as well.

Bit's

Comment

• Self-charging batteries

Hi everyone.

I came across this pdf file a few days ago and it has a (Tesla type) self-charging battery system, using four 12V batteries, a high amperage rotary switch and a pulse transformer. Very easy schematic.

It uses the transformer to match the "load" to the Tesla switch, and it runs at 536 Hz.

Here's a quote:
                      "In effect the series 24 volt charges the 12 volt parallel units within 1/536 of a cycle and immediately change over to discharge across the other configuration. At resonance the batteries act as mere capacitors while the space field around the conductors act as inductive devices to provide the pulsing current. The transforming ratio of the secondary can be designed to match the load plus losses of the circuit thus imposing no power-load on the batteries. Experimental models have been test run successfully."

It's a HUGE booklet but the Tesla switch starts on page 377. Does anyone know how to copy the 5 pages into a small pdf file, or just post snapshots of the pages?
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by John_K View Post
                        Well put Bit's. Frankly, I would be disappointed if John came to my shed, tweaked a few things, said "There you go, easy!" and left, because I would not have learnt anything from it....
                        John K.
                        Yes, but if he tweaked a few things and said..."This is why it works, and this is why your way did not, then you'd know and you'd be able to duplicate it for any size system". AND, you'd have learned something.

Telling someone "the" answer is NOT a NON-learning experience, it can be just as beneficial as "finding" the answer, it just takes a lot less time and money. This is the big point, time and money, I'm duplicating what you're doing, someone is duplicating what Bits is doing, Inquorate is doing, etc. If it is the wrong thing, then everybody is burning time and money, but that doesn't mean they aren't learning someting. JB will not say, so we'll just have to figure it out. Hopefully, once someone figures it out, they will tell everybody else, but I doubt that. If one has to figure it out, that someone will want everybody else to figure it out, there is never a free lunch, right?

I think I finally found the answer, the reason it charges, how to get it into recharge mode and can run a load (10W 12V bulb) but I will let it run for a while and let you all know after the results of today. It should be obvious to us all, but it took me months to (hopefully) figure it out.

Leroy
                        Last edited by ldissing; 02-18-2010, 04:53 PM.

Comment

• Tesla Switch info

Here is a smaller PDF of the important info from the "Self Charging Battery System" page 377
                          Last edited by Turion; 04-20-2012, 03:13 PM.
                          “Advances are made by answering questions. Discoveries are made by questioning answers.”
                          —Bernhard Haisch, Astrophysicist

Comment

• "The expansion rate of C1-x times the cyclic displacement ratio
                            x gives 536.48 cycles per second if C is the frequency at a metre
                            wavelength in 1.010845 secs. If the battery current is switched on
                            and off sharply, in the circuit configuration shown below, the
                            batteries remain charged despite having a load"
                            Now we all knew that...LOL
                            Any human being can understand this pdf!!!

Only joking.
                            That circuit is like the last one from Cifta and John K. No diodes.
                            Switching frequency of 536.48Hz. Every 1.86 msec and immediately
                            change over to discharge. I wonder if this also applies for solid state.
                            With the JB solid state switching we maybe got fast switch on times but I am not sure about sharp cut off times. The commutator can give that sharp overshooting or can you call it switch bouncing?
                            536 cps is (536 x 60) =32 160 RPM!!! if I`m not mistaken. How do we get a motor- commutator to run at that speed?
                            With solid state it a walk inthe park but we dont get that fast rise and fall times. The opto`s has get a rise time of 3 usec and I think a terrible fall time.
                            Mosfets on the other hand driven by mosfet drivers can give rise and falltimes better then 50nano seconds. Now that is fast. Mosfet drivers also ensure that the mosfets switch on and of fully everytime
                            You probably will have to use a opto driving the mosfet driver and then the mosfet. I know JB doesnt like mosfets on the TS but how are we going to get the fast switching?
                            Tom Bearden also mentioned that nobody gets the Bedini generator to work because you need microwave switching techniques- fast rise and fall times.

Do you guys think that 536hz is the resonant frequency of a lead acid battery?

Comment

• fast commutotor

Originally posted by nvisser View Post
                              "The expansion rate of C1-x times the cyclic displacement ratio
                              x gives 536.48 cycles per second if C is the frequency at a metre
                              wavelength in 1.010845 secs. If the battery current is switched on
                              and off sharply, in the circuit configuration shown below, the
                              batteries remain charged despite having a load"
                              Now we all knew that...LOL
                              Any human being can understand this pdf!!!

Only joking.
                              That circuit is like the last one from Cifta and John K. No diodes.
                              Switching frequency of 536.48Hz. Every 1.86 msec and immediately
                              change over to discharge. I wonder if this also applies for solid state.
                              With the JB solid state switching we maybe got fast switch on times but I am not sure about sharp cut off times. The commutator can give that sharp overshooting or can you call it switch bouncing?
                              536 cps is (536 x 60) =32 160 RPM!!! if I`m not mistaken. How do we get a motor- commutator to run at that speed?
                              With solid state it a walk inthe park but we dont get that fast rise and fall times. The opto`s has get a rise time of 3 usec and I think a terrible fall time.
                              Mosfets on the other hand driven by mosfet drivers can give rise and falltimes better then 50nano seconds. Now that is fast. Mosfet drivers also ensure that the mosfets switch on and of fully everytime
                              You probably will have to use a opto driving the mosfet driver and then the mosfet. I know JB doesnt like mosfets on the TS but how are we going to get the fast switching?
                              Tom Bearden also mentioned that nobody gets the Bedini generator to work because you need microwave switching techniques- fast rise and fall times.

My first attempt at a high speed commutator would run at almost 550 HZ....

The 10K motor was screaming, it is a wonder everything stays balanced at that speed....200 parts spinning 10k is kinda freakishly cool....

I have been kinda snowed in for the past few weeks but version 2.0 is on the table ready to be machined.

Hopefully it will require no semiconductors at all and be able to out perform the version 1.0....we will see.....

regards,

Murlin

Comment

• Originally posted by nvisser View Post

Vissie,

LAB would resonate in the single MHz range, say - 1.5, for example. It is possible that 536Hz is a sub harmonic of resonant freq.

Vtech
                                'Get it all on record now - get the films - get the witnesses -because somewhere down the road of history some bastard will get up and say that this never happened'

General D.Eisenhower

http://www.nvtronics.org

Comment

Working...
                                X