Use for the Tesla Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Observations of JB's Solar Tesla charger

It has been quite a while since I posted here and I haven't done any work on the bench since my father passed away in January. I'm not sure when I will get back to doing some bench work so I wanted to relay some thoughts I had been working on.

First, I want to pass along some thoughts on JB's Solar Tesla charger videos. On the input side we see a DC power supply set around 17v with current fluctuating from zero to around 3 amps. I was pondering on what kind of circuit or circuit function could cause the fluctuations that we see on the input. What do we know about the circuit?

1 The DC power supply is taking the place of a solar panel for demonstration purposes.
    2 The purpose of the circuit is to boost performance of charging a battery from a solar panel.
    3 From the name, the Tesla switch or some derivation of it must be part of the circuit.
    4 The output of the device is generating 10+ amp pulses to the charging battery that appear to be about 1/2 second apart. So we have an output that behaves exactly like the cap discharge circuit of the SG charging the battery. To show 10+ amp pulses on the amp meter, the voltage of the cap being discharged must have been quite high relative to the charging battery.

Under normal conditions, the voltage output of the panel must exceed the voltage of the battery for the battery to charge. So how do we keep the battery charging when the panel output voltage has dropped below the charging battery voltage? We need to boost the avaliable potential from the panel to a potential above that of the battery. How do we do that? The joule thief circuit and the SS SG will both accomplish this but they both draw constant current from the source. JB's charger shows fluctuating input current. So what other ways are there? One way would be to charge several caps in parallel from the panel and discharge them in series to get a potential higher than the charging battery. Sounds like what the Tesla switch or scalar charger does. That would also explain why the input current from the Power supply varies. The current would be the highest when the caps being charged were empty and would diminish as they charge up. Now this does not explicitly imply a single charging stage. A primary set of caps could be discharged into a secondary cap which in turn is discharged across the output battery. In this case, the charging and discharging of the primary caps into the secondary cap can be performed at a much higher frequency than the discharge of the secondary cap into the battery. Even in this two stage system, the input current would vary the same as before. It would diminish as the secondary cap gains voltage. It may be possible to draw some energy from the environment if the pulse from the primary caps to the secondary cap was kept short such as 100us or less.

This brings me to another thought on the behavior of caps to DC current. A cap will displace DC current until the potential on both sides of it equalizes. So by displacement it appears to pass AC current continuously and blocks continuous DC current. Can we use the partial DC current displacement to our advantage?
    Experiment: hook up a battery with a cap and a light bulb in series. The bulb will be lit by displacement current until the potential equalizes. Now disconnect the cap and bulb from the battery and hook the bulb in parallel with the cap. The bulb lights as before until the cap is drained. So we now have just lit the bulb twice using the battery only once.

What if we apply this to the 4 battery Tesla switch. Think of it as a compound Tesla switch. Arrange the switches so the left bank of 2 batteries is in series for 24 volts and the right bank is in parallel for 12 volts. Now connect several caps in parallel to each other and place this cap bank in series between the right and left bank positives with the negatives of the battery banks connected together. The parallel battery bank is charged via displacement current thru the cap bank until it equalizes. Now disconnect the caps from the circuit, hook the caps up in series and discharge them across the parallel bank. We just charged the parallel battery bank twice but only discharged the series battery bank once. It stands to reason this should be a net gain in charging even after the switching and cap losses.

Food for thought,

Alex

Comment

• Originally posted by hherby View Post
      It has been quite a while since I posted here and I haven't done any work on the bench since my father passed away in January. I'm not sure when I will get back to doing some bench work so I wanted to relay some thoughts I had been working on.

First, I want to pass along some thoughts on JB's Solar Tesla charger videos. On the input side we see a DC power supply set around 17v with current fluctuating from zero to around 3 amps. I was pondering on what kind of circuit or circuit function could cause the fluctuations that we see on the input. What do we know about the circuit?

1 The DC power supply is taking the place of a solar panel for demonstration purposes.
      2 The purpose of the circuit is to boost performance of charging a battery from a solar panel.
      3 From the name, the Tesla switch or some derivation of it must be part of the circuit.
      4 The output of the device is generating 10+ amp pulses to the charging battery that appear to be about 1/2 second apart. So we have an output that behaves exactly like the cap discharge circuit of the SG charging the battery. To show 10+ amp pulses on the amp meter, the voltage of the cap being discharged must have been quite high relative to the charging battery.

Under normal conditions, the voltage output of the panel must exceed the voltage of the battery for the battery to charge. So how do we keep the battery charging when the panel output voltage has dropped below the charging battery voltage? We need to boost the avaliable potential from the panel to a potential above that of the battery. How do we do that? The joule thief circuit and the SS SG will both accomplish this but they both draw constant current from the source. JB's charger shows fluctuating input current. So what other ways are there? One way would be to charge several caps in parallel from the panel and discharge them in series to get a potential higher than the charging battery. Sounds like what the Tesla switch or scalar charger does. That would also explain why the input current from the Power supply varies. The current would be the highest when the caps being charged were empty and would diminish as they charge up. Now this does not explicitly imply a single charging stage. A primary set of caps could be discharged into a secondary cap which in turn is discharged across the output battery. In this case, the charging and discharging of the primary caps into the secondary cap can be performed at a much higher frequency than the discharge of the secondary cap into the battery. Even in this two stage system, the input current would vary the same as before. It would diminish as the secondary cap gains voltage. It may be possible to draw some energy from the environment if the pulse from the primary caps to the secondary cap was kept short such as 100us or less.

This brings me to another thought on the behavior of caps to DC current. A cap will displace DC current until the potential on both sides of it equalizes. So by displacement it appears to pass AC current continuously and blocks continuous DC current. Can we use the partial DC current displacement to our advantage?
      Experiment: hook up a battery with a cap and a light bulb in series. The bulb will be lit by displacement current until the potential equalizes. Now disconnect the cap and bulb from the battery and hook the bulb in parallel with the cap. The bulb lights as before until the cap is drained. So we now have just lit the bulb twice using the battery only once.

What if we apply this to the 4 battery Tesla switch. Think of it as a compound Tesla switch. Arrange the switches so the left bank of 2 batteries is in series for 24 volts and the right bank is in parallel for 12 volts. Now connect several caps in parallel to each other and place this cap bank in series between the right and left bank positives with the negatives of the battery banks connected together. The parallel battery bank is charged via displacement current thru the cap bank until it equalizes. Now disconnect the caps from the circuit, hook the caps up in series and discharge them across the parallel bank. We just charged the parallel battery bank twice but only discharged the series battery bank once. It stands to reason this should be a net gain in charging even after the switching and cap losses.

Food for thought,

Alex
      Sweet idea re the caps as a second stage. I've been doing the same using an inductor to charge the parallel batteries twice.

It works.

Sorry about your father,
      Peace, love and light
      Atoms move for free. It's all about resonance and phase. Make the circuit open and build a generator.

Comment

• Yes, Gene that's right...

Hi Gene,

Yes, the SS SG's at 6 strands will be master/slave variants - 1 trigger, 4 power and 1 winding for the FWBR. Why 6 strands? Firstly, because I already have them wound from another rotored SSG project. Secondly, because I already have the circuit boards made up - just minor replacement of some components, and thirdly because I have more room to play with to tune the load to the TS.

John K.

Originally posted by genessc View Post
        Hi John,

I take it the SS SG's at 6 strands will be master/slave variants eh?

At one time it occured to me that there must be a finite volume of space in which a bedini stator sits. That there must be a specific local volume that is filled to some specific point and no further. The master slave setup is one of the few bedini methods that supplies a dynamic shift of resistance that varies for Turn on versus Turn off. Supposing 10 strands at 1ohm a strand, if they all turn on at once its 1/10 or .1ohms as each conducts its portion of current that will fill that volume. When it turns off the resistances on each strand (presuming that we're using each power strand as the collector strand) shows this developed magnetic field a 10times higher resistance back at the 1ohm mark. Have you considered this?

The inductance of this layout overall doesn't shift as all inductances are the same guage wire at the same length. Putting inductances in parallel doesn't shift the inductance value if all the wires follow this requirement.

I'll be curious to see how this sort of "pulsed" on time affects the batteries. I think I'll probably be following your path but will probably be looking at using the collection caps from the two sides to act as the "source" for the load since the alternating tesla switch switching should hopefully keep the batteries charged up. Was looking at some 12volt 230Ah batteries but they're at 200/each so that would get expensive for 6 of those. That would probably be what I need tho to make some decent current pulses of around 20amps at the C20 rate there...

Take it easy,
        Gene
        http://teslagenx.com

Comment

• Well I am getting close to having my big one ready.

I am building an ISCC circuit with an electric motor driving an alternator for the load. Some big batts and heavy duty relays.
          I have yet to finish the control system to turn the system on and off. Still waiting for some Opto's. I am also waiting for the pulleys and the wiring harness for the Alternator.

The motr is probably not big enough to drive the generator on a full load but all I am trying to do with it this time is back charge the primary batteries, then run them down while charging another bank. If it works I am building a huge one.

Thought I would throw some shots up. We need more pictures.

Batteries
          Motor / Alternator
          Pile of wire and switch's
          Pile of wire and switch's again

Cheers
          Matt

Comment

• Originally posted by Matthew Jones View Post
            Well I am getting close to having my big one ready.

I am building an ISCC circuit with an electric motor driving an alternator for the load. Some big batts and heavy duty relays.
            I have yet to finish the control system to turn the system on and off. Still waiting for some Opto's. I am also waiting for the pulleys and the wiring harness for the Alternator.

The motr is probably not big enough to drive the generator on a full load but all I am trying to do with it this time is back charge the primary batteries, then run them down while charging another bank. If it works I am building a huge one.

Thought I would throw some shots up. We need more pictures.

Batteries
            Motor / Alternator
            Pile of wire and switch's
            Pile of wire and switch's again

Cheers
            Matt
            What the heck was that old electric motor out of to drive the alternator?

Comment

• Originally posted by 1NRG24Seven View Post
              What the heck was that old electric motor out of to drive the alternator?

It was a Black and Decker Lawn Hog motor. Electric Lawnmower. They advertise it as 5 hp but its really a 5 hp gas equivalent. 1.5 kw motor or about 1 3/4 hp. The batteries that came with the motor were like 2 x 12 amp hour batts and they just died after one summer.
              Montgomery county, Maryland gave a couple thousand out to senior citizens in some kind of Carbon Offset program. They lasted 1 summer. You could find them all over up there in back yards. I got few of them after doing work on peoples houses.
              They are one of the biggest PM magnet motors I have seen on a regular basis.
              I got one more thats bigger. I had in a truck. Its 26 hp from an elevator company. It ran truck around for about year until the frame of the truck rusted through pretty bad. I wanna get running again too.

Matt

Comment

• Originally posted by nvisser View Post
                JB did mention some time ago that it was a mix of the 2 patents.
                "Circuits and related methods" and "device and method for pulse charging."
                Then he also mentioned the Bipolar switch to charge a cap
                If you look at the solar charger video you will see that the 0V from the power supply runs to the huge cap and the 17v to a black box in the back. Then a wire return from there. It is possible that the black box contains a joule thief circuit with the bifilar coil. I am not sure why it also draws pulse current from the supply as a ssg or joule thief draws a constant current.
                The 4 caps on the charger part could be 10 000uf 25V. 22mm wide x 40mm high
                In series they are 2500uf with a 100v capability
                In parallel they are 40 000 with a 25v capability.
                If charged up in series to say 40V with radiant energy from the large cap , they will have a output of 15v in parallel with hopefully good current pulses.
                It will be easier to try this with relays first to try and get it working.

Had some bugs in that drawing.
                Bit's
                Last edited by Bit's-n-Bytes; 03-18-2010, 12:28 AM. Reason: Removed drawing for editing

Comment

• Soon I am going to get back on the scalar charger.

Germanium Top Hat PNP's

Can anybody read Russian?

Matt

Comment

• Thinking along with you guys but since im not as experienced as most of you i was searching for more info on capacitance, discharging, impedance etc...
                    I found this page link and has lots of info on the subject, thought i should share.

Also came across the LT3751, maybe a way to charge those caps?

@Bit's, Do you have some more info on how to do the battery sensing part with the LM324?

regards,

Comment

• Originally posted by scratchrobot View Post
                      Thinking along with you guys but since im not as experienced as most of you i was searching for more info on capacitance, discharging, impedance etc...
                      I found this page link and has lots of info on the subject, thought i should share.

Also came across the LT3751, maybe a way to charge those caps?

@Bit's, Do you have some more info on how to do the battery sensing part with the LM324?

regards,
                      @scratchrobot, are you talking about my earliest version of the D-TS? If so, for the Batt 2 and 4 sensing test points I think that I use the part of the LM324 as an "Inverted" as opposed to the "Non-Inverted" type. I had also changed the reference point to be the same for all of the sensing on a later version. Hope this helps.

Bit's

Comment

• Originally posted by Matthew Jones View Post
                        Soon I am going to get back on the scalar charger.

Germanium Top Hat PNP's

Can anybody read Russian?

Matt
                        Hi Matthew.
                        1T906A= 75V 5A 65MHz

GT906A=15W, 75V, 10A, 30MHz

GT806B 100V |15A |30W |Hfe 40-100 |F 10MHz

1T813V (or GT instead of 1T) 100V |30A |50W |Hfe 40-120 |F 10MHz

You can't use: GT108 10V| 50mA| 75mW| Hfe 60-130| Kn 6dB| Fe 1MHz

What else you need to read from russian?

Regards, Valentin
                        Last edited by vallentin; 03-17-2010, 11:44 PM.

Comment

• Hey thanks

I wanted to confirm from the Data sheet the specs. IT906A's

I am also looking for a pinout but I have not been able to find the datasheet on them.

I don't know if they will even work but I am giving them a try and see if there is a difference.

Matt

Comment

• Good luck then!
                            Mind the AMP capabilities of your top hats.
                            I will try to get myself some 1T813V from ebay but I think I'll wait to see your results first.
                            ASZ15 datasheet and Application Note, Data Sheet, Circuit, PDF, Pinout | Datasheet Archive for pinout.
                            Last edited by vallentin; 03-19-2010, 08:17 AM.

Comment

• @Bit's, I built the latest version of your TS and want to use battery sensing on that, i wil figure out a way to do it. BTW thanks for introducing me to the picaxe chip

JB is showing us his famous waveform going to the batterys in one of his solarcharger vid's, I think that is wat we want in our TS also. I also see the same waveform in gotoluc's self running coil vid's (i attached the scope shots)

I found a pdf of what i think is JB solar-kick charger, maybe that's the way to go. It's using IRF260 mosfet's but i can't find any info on them?

I also noticed that the energenx site has changed and they now have the solar-kick charger on their product list, i want one

regards, scratchrobot
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Scratchrobot,

The waveform looks like a standard SS SG waveform to me. It's the same as a rotored SG "h" wave, without the hump which occurs when the magnet passes the coil's core.

Patrick Kelly's document shows Bedini's patent which uses mosfets, which is apparently the design used on the Bedini commercial chargers. No one knows except Bedini what he's using in the Solar Tesla Amp, it's anyone's guess as it's proprietary. Bedini did say on this forum though that mosfets "are not the way to go" on the TS.

I can't see where Energenx's website has changed in the last 2 years! The pic you see of the solar-kick is an old prototype. Have you seen the videos which clearly show the latest production version?

John K.

Originally posted by scratchrobot View Post
                                @Bit's, I built the latest version of your TS and want to use battery sensing on that, i wil figure out a way to do it. BTW thanks for introducing me to the picaxe chip

JB is showing us his famous waveform going to the batterys in one of his solarcharger vid's, I think that is wat we want in our TS also. I also see the same waveform in gotoluc's self running coil vid's (i attached the scope shots)

I found a pdf of what i think is JB solar-kick charger, maybe that's the way to go. It's using IRF260 mosfet's but i can't find any info on them?

I also noticed that the energenx site has changed and they now have the solar-kick charger on their product list, i want one

regards, scratchrobot
                                http://teslagenx.com

Comment

Working...
                                X