Use for the Tesla Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Matthew Jones View Post
    Hammer down brother!!! Put some pictures up. Test results. Scematics. Somthing!
    LOL gotta love the new guy.

Boy all the nasty thing I could write right now. But I'll refrain for a change.

Matt
    Yep, back to the bench for me.

Gee, if it's so easy why hasn't anyone done it

John K.
    http://teslagenx.com

Comment

• It almost seem "suspect" to me.....
      As soon as you start talking exact replication someone come along and says you don't have too replicate it exactly.

Be careful big brothers watching... LOL

Matt

Comment

• No other kind has worked. Not even for the people who could possibly build one.
        Can you offer a more specific evaluation?

What seems to be the 'problem' with the other kinds of transistors?

Could it be that it is not really the 'transistor' which is the problem but some other factor?

Comment

• As soon as you start talking exact replication someone come along and says you don't have too replicate it exactly.
          What precisely does that mean?

Is it believed that ONLY by using the exact same parts in a given 'project' will there by any chance of success?

Once one is able to 'zero in' on precisely which element of the process is essential in terms of the 'output' then the 'replication' may take many forms.

"Coil Bangin'" can be done in a variety of ways - some better than others. Once one is able to 'bang with purpose' then the results will follow.

A skilled player of the Xylophone will not use the wrong tool to strike the notes. Only the proper tool and technique will make the music.

So it is with electromagnetics.

Simple IS Better!!

Comment

• http://www.energeticforum.com/renewa...tml#post103731

That the post with the circiut. There are no electromagnetic involved.

Make it work.... You know what your doing.

Matt

Comment

• Yes, I have studied that diagram already.

There are several flaws.

The capacitors are too large. 15,000 microFarads is an unnecessary expense. Settle for 470 microFarads with low ESR.

The transistor drive circuit is inadequate to switch the transistors for speedy transitions and rapid turn-off. Use an enhanced base drive circuit which assures sufficient base current to attain saturation with a turn-off speed up circuit enhancement.

The pulse width is very critical and should be not more than 5 microSeconds.

The pulsing frequency should be between 1,000 and 3,000 hertz.

For best results the transistors should be N-Channel MosFets. Two of the transistors will require a 'high side driver' and the one low side transistor may be driven conventionally. Use Gate Driver chips to assure the fastest possible turn-on and turn-off.

The output pulses from the series connected capacitor pair must be very sharp and very brief with nanoSecond rise and fall times. The MosFet will be able to accomplish that sort of pulse characteristic when properly driven.

While the circuit is predominantly capacitive in nature, the inductance of the wiring cannot be ignored; low ESR capacitors are an absolute must in order to minimize adverse stray inductance effects. All high current pulse wiring must be as short as possible and sufficiently heavy to minimize resistive power losses.

This circuit is very similar to a type of Desufator circuit which is being very successfully utilized by lead-acid battery rejuvenators.

Pulsing characteristics are critical.

The instantaneous pulse amplitude will be in the vicinity of 100 Amperes or more.

Comment

http://www.energeticforum.com/renewa...tml#post103731

That the post with the circiut. There are no electromagnetic involved.

Make it work.... You know what your doing.

Matt
                Hi Matt,

I've just been going over the original circuit again. Did you ever notice that B&R were switching the load in parallel to the battery ONLY during the charge cycle? The load is NOT connected during the dis-charge phase. JB's drawings always had the load in series with the caps and battery and he never switched it out.
                Has anyone tried that?

@SeaMonkey:

Oxford definition of replicate:
                definition of replicate from Oxford Dictionaries Online

John K.

Comment

• ...repeat (a scientific experiment or trial) to obtain a consistent result...
                  Great definition! That is indeed the essence of replication - results matter.

'Appearances' can be very, very misleading...

Comment

• Originally posted by John_K View Post
                    Hi Matt,

I've just been going over the original circuit again. Did you ever notice that B&R were switching the load in parallel to the battery ONLY during the charge cycle? The load is NOT connected during the dis-charge phase. JB's drawings always had the load in series with the caps and battery and he never switched it out.
                    Has anyone tried that?

John K.
                    Ya I have tried it a bunch of different ways. Hit load on the way to the cap. Hit the load on the way back to the battery. Don't hit the load. Hit the load all the time.
                    No load doesn't work well at all. It would make sense to use the the return potential to power the load as it would be about 12 volt. If the load is going in the other direction you will only have 6 volt.
                    The B&R version only powers the switching device. That makes sense too.

Something to think about for sure..

@SeaMonkey
                    Eagerly awaiting your results.

Comment

Ya I have tried it a bunch of different ways. Hit load on the way to the cap. Hit the load on the way back to the battery. Don't hit the load. Hit the load all the time.
                      No load doesn't work well at all. It would make sense to use the the return potential to power the load as it would be about 12 volt. If the load is going in the other direction you will only have 6 volt.
                      The B&R version only powers the switching device. That makes sense too.

Something to think about for sure..

@SeaMonkey
                      Eagerly awaiting your results.
                      Matt,

Did you try putting the load in parallel with the battery? I was re-listening to the B&R interview on Open Mind. It was clear they had the load over the battery, not in the cap circuit at all.

The caps are just there for a voltage doubler I think.

I also noticed on the original diagram that the 3rd opto, which is driven by pin 7 of the 74367 and switches the 2W 22ohm in has been drawn in later on by someone afterwards. Study the diagrams again for me. Look at what was ruled and what was hand-written. See if you can spot the same differences as I did. Also compare that to JB's diagram from his website. There are some subtle differences.

John K.

Comment

• Fast trasition times

I think Seamokey's post 2886 makes a lot of sense.
                        Speedy transitions is something I have been chasing for a while. That is why I started to experiment with spark gaps, but I still have a lot to learn with that technology.
                        I think it is worth trying the scalar charger with low value caps ans higher frequencies with 5 usec duty cycles and a proper transistor drive circuit like the sziklai as we use in the solar charger, to try and get fast rise and fall times.
                        Maybe Seamonkey could post us a circuit on how to accomplish that transistor drive circuit.
                        I think the SG chip can give such short 5 usec duty cycles. The picaxe can only give a minimum of 1 msec on time and will not work here.

Comment

• My 'results' are within your reach if you care to 'grasp' them.

The 'power' is ultimately in what you decide.

I've conveyed, to any who may care to study them, the results of my own research and replication. Techniques that will, should they be applied, bring about accomplishment.

The results which bear 'proof' are those that come about by means of one's own hands. Tangible. Anything less is unsatisfactory.

Comment

• ...a proper transistor drive circuit like the sziklai as we use in the solar charger,
                            You raise an interesting possibility nvisser. The basic Darlington, or the Sziklai alternative, with a few additional components can be made to switch quite well. But even the best bipolar transistors are not as effective as a MosFet switch for producing sharp, well defined pulses.

A schematic will be forthcoming.

Comment

• Originally posted by nvisser View Post
                              I think the SG chip can give such short 5 usec duty cycles. The picaxe can only give a minimum of 1 msec on time and will not work here.
                              You can use the FREQOUT command to achieve higher results. Make sure to rectify the signal.

I've conveyed, to any who may care to study them, the results of my own research and replication. Techniques that will, should they be applied, bring about accomplishment.
                              The results which bear 'proof' are those that come about by means of one's own hands. Tangible. Anything less is unsatisfactory.
                              That real pretty talk but have you actually tried anything. Something you could share. Test results, similar builds, a good story. Are you planning on trying anything?

Matt

Comment

You can use the FREQOUT command to achieve higher results. Make sure to rectify the signal.

Matt
                                @Vissie,

you can also use the "pulsout" command. If you have a PICAXE that will run at 16Mhz, you can get down to 2.5 uSec per unit.

I have a PICAXE-40X2 that I can clock up to 64Mhz by dropping in the resonator that came with the chip. If I wanted I could get down to 0.625 uSec.

Fast enough buddy?

John K.

Comment

Working...
                                X