Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by John_K View Post
    Hi Matt,

I've just been going over the original circuit again. Did you ever notice that B&R were switching the load in parallel to the battery ONLY during the charge cycle? The load is NOT connected during the dis-charge phase. JB's drawings always had the load in series with the caps and battery and he never switched it out.
    Has anyone tried that?

@SeaMonkey:

Oxford definition of replicate:
    definition of replicate from Oxford Dictionaries Online

John K.
    I see now what your talking about. I guess that didn't stand out to me. I have been looking at Mr Johns circiut too long.
    I am going to fiddle with and see if you can pull a load off that point.

Let ya know.

Matt

Comment

• Thanks guys.
      I only got the picaxe18x. It is so easy to do basic things with it up to 1msec but that is where it stops for me.
      Now if you guys can tell me how to use the pulse out and FREQOUT commands to accomplish higher frequencies and shorter on times(duty cycles) I will truly appreciate it as I do not intent to go swot up the pdf's about this chip. To much other things going on at work and at home. Just started the complete Lexmark printer coarse at work. Nothing better to wake up a rusted old brain.
      I tried before to get it to work at 16Mhz but not with any success.

JohnK , could you post the circuit with the load in parallel with the battery. If I remember correctly from the audio files you send me, it sounded like the bulb was in series as when this thing went into resonance or whatever you can call it the voltage over the bulb measured 0V, so it could not be in parallel with the battery. On the hand drawn diagram signed ,BN-RB,(Bill and Ray), I posted yesterday they don't show the load.
      I also wonder why they show 15000uf caps there?

Comment

• Vissie,

Here's some data for you:

"With the -18X the internal resonator has a default value of 4MHz. However it can be increased by the user to 8MHz via use of the 'setfreq' command."

Some info on the 'pulsout' command:

pulsout
        Syntax:
        PULSOUT pin,time
        - Pin is a variable/constant (0-7) which specifies the i/o pin to use.
        - Time is a variable/constant which specifies the period (0-65535) in 10us units
        (4MHz resonator).
        Function:
        Output a timed pulse by inverting a pin for some time.
        Information:
        The pulsout command generates a pulse of length time. If the output is initially
        low, the pulse will be high, and vice versa. This command automatically
        configures the pin as an output, but for reliable operation on 8 pin PICAXE you
        should ensure this pin is an output before using the command.
        Restrictions:
        The 14M only supports pulsout on outputs 0,1,2.
        Affect of Increased Clock Speed:
        4MHz 10us unit
        8MHz 5us unit
        16MHz 2.5us unit
        Example:
        main:
        pulsout 1,150 ‘ send a 1.50ms pulse out of pin 1
        pause 20 ‘ pause 20 ms
        goto main ‘ loop back to start

So if you use 'setfreq m8' to clock the 18X to 8Mhz you can get the 'pulsout' command to work in 5uS units.

John K.
        http://teslagenx.com

Comment

• I went back and read them both, Johns right the pulseout is probably the better command to use.
          I didn't realize its potential.

Matt

Comment

• Originally posted by nvisser View Post
            Thanks guys.

JohnK , could you post the circuit with the load in parallel with the battery. If I remember correctly from the audio files you send me, it sounded like the bulb was in series as when this thing went into resonance or whatever you can call it the voltage over the bulb measured 0V, so it could not be in parallel with the battery. On the hand drawn diagram signed ,BN-RB,(Bill and Ray), I posted yesterday they don't show the load.
            I also wonder why they show 15000uf caps there?
            Vissie,

The load is shown on the controller diagram. It's the part of the circuit where the 2w 22ohm resistor is switched via the NTE3042 at the same time as the 'charge output'.
            The part in the audio files is where B&R say that they "put the bulb across the battery, and it shone full brightness" (can't remember the exact words, but it's there)
            I'm thinking that when the device is tuned to the sub-harmonic resonant frequency of the battery, the load (bulb) is seen as a dead short so the linear instrument all read zero. This is why the bulb shines so bright. Remember they were using a 48W bulb, or 4A @12V. That's like a quartz halogen bulb. Scalar waves can do interesting things

I also think we need to focus on tuning the 'thing' until the bulb lights up full and switch off the meters until we have that.

I'm going to draw up the full schematic soon, so I'll post it when I'm done.

John K.

Comment

• 108's are available!

Hi guys,

Here's the response from the guy in Sydney who has some 108's:

"I have a lot of SMS cards, so there would be plenty of 108s there.
              I guess I can let go of some. How many do you need?
              What are you restoring?"

Let me know how many you need guys and I'll see if I can get enough for all of us.

John K.

Comment

• Let me know how much I owe ya and PM your paypal or address or somthing.

See what he'll sell them all for.

m thinking that when the device is tuned to the sub-harmonic resonant frequency of the battery, the load (bulb) is seen as a dead short so the linear instrument all read zero. This is why the bulb shines so bright. Remember they were using a 48W bulb, or 4A @12V. That's like a quartz halogen bulb.
                My 4 amp quart halogen shine full bright at about 400 microseconds as a straight load.

Matt

Comment

• That real pretty talk but have you actually tried anything. Something you could share. Test results, similar builds, a good story. Are you planning on trying anything?

Matt

No, not at the moment. I've completed the most recent efforts to evaluate circuitry function for the topics of interest in this thread.

I'll be 'on the side' as an observer to see how the flow of progress develops and may occasionally 'chime in' with hints from time to time.

But I would like to emphasize once again the importance of the pulse characteristics and the need for fast and efficient switching. Once that is attained the other 'stuff' will fall into place.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeaMonkey View Post
                    No, not at the moment. I've completed the most recent efforts to evaluate circuitry function for the topics of interest in this thread.

I'll be 'on the side' as an observer to see how the flow of progress develops and may occasionally 'chime in' with hints from time to time.

But I would like to emphasize once again the importance of the pulse characteristics and the need for fast and efficient switching. Once that is attained the other 'stuff' will fall into place.
                    Ya we need another steering wheel like we need a .....
                    Nothing personal...
                    LOL

Matt

Comment

• Talkers and not builders

It still amazes me (I guess it shouldn't) that someone who admits they haven't actually built anything will start posting in a thread and tell all the builders what they are doing wrong. This seems to be a common problem on this forum. If you (Seamonkey) had actually read all the posts you would have known the pulse shape and duration etc. have been discussed many times on this thread. So I'll repeat what Matt said. Build a circuit that has the pulses like you think they should be, show us the scope shots and show us how well the circuit works. If you can't or won't do that then don't bother telling us we are doing it wrong.

Several of us here have gotten the TS to run for days powering a small load and not losing any charge on the batteries. Can you do that?

If you really want to help then you need to get rid of the attitude. Many of the people on this thread have been working with this technology for several years. I have only been working on the TS for a little over a year and I have learned a lot from these guys. Your writing makes it appear you think these guys are a bunch of dummies. I can assure they are not.

Carroll
                      Just because someone disagrees with you does NOT make them your enemy. We can disagree without attacking someone.

Comment

• Scalar Wave Charger

Hello fellow builders,

I've drawn up a schematic of what I think the 2 BN-RB diagrams would look like if they were joined together.

I've replaced the TTL IC's with a PIC and am powering the PIC separately for now, so no need for the capacitor to keep the TTL IC power clean.

I haven't built it yet, so I'm not sure if it works. I haven't done the PIC code yet, but it is simple - 50% d/c at whatever sub-harmonic resonant frequency your battery is

Let me know if you spot any errors.

John K.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by John_K; 07-16-2010, 01:44 AM.

Comment

• John K.

Regarding your diagram:

The base drive circuitry to the tree transistors will be ineffective as a switching speed-up feature unless it is totem-pole driven. In order for the diode/capacitor combination to produce the reverse-bias pulse at turn-off, the input point (opto-transistor) must be connected to the transistor emitter.

Without the two-transistor totem-pole driver, the stored charge on the capacitors has not discharge current path at the base-emitter junctions. Consequently, the base region carrier storage will not be depleted and the transistors will exhibit very slow turn-off.

The circuit, as you've shown it, is incomplete. Is it just a simplified example?

Comment

John K.

Regarding your diagram:

The base drive circuitry to the tree transistors will be ineffective as a switching speed-up feature unless it is totem-pole driven. In order for the diode/capacitor combination to produce the reverse-bias pulse at turn-off, the input point (opto-transistor) must be connected to the transistor emitter.

Without the two-transistor totem-pole driver, the stored charge on the capacitors has not discharge current path at the base-emitter junctions. Consequently, the base region carrier storage will not be depleted and the transistors will exhibit very slow turn-off.

The circuit, as you've shown it, is incomplete. Is it just a simplified example?
                            Thanks SeaMonkey, but I'm not looking for fast switching. I'm looking for minimal voltage drop across the transistor junctions.
                            Your theory sounds fine from an EE point of view but I am not working with "conventional" electronics. I'm working with scalar electro-magnetics and switching of potentials, not current. Which is very different to what is taught in the text books.

The circuit is complete. The component names and values were omitted on purpose, as experienced builders already know what they are.

John K.

Comment

• What is the purpose of Q1?

You may want to re-think the common connected bases of Q2 and Q3 since one is a 'high side' switch and the other is a 'low side' switch. In normal operation their base voltages will be considerably different while in conduction. You'll have to drive each of those two individually.

Comment

What is the purpose of Q1?

You may want to re-think the common connected bases of Q2 and Q3 since one is a 'high side' switch and the other is a 'low side' switch. In normal operation their base voltages will be considerably different while in conduction. You'll have to drive each of those two individually.
                                SeaMonkey,

I have absolutely no idea. I haven't got a clue.

John K.

Comment

Working...
                                X