Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by citfta View Post
    Hey Matt,
    Is the transformer in the center special wound like you have been showing us how to do? Can you share the program with us?
    C Ya, Carroll
    Hey Carroll the transformer is is just 3 winding of #6 (Supposed to be anyway) the 2 primaries are equal the secondary or output wire is about 25% longer. This keep the potential up on the output.

You can use any micro controller it is just 2 switch's left and right.

If your interested in building either same size or smaller get a hold of me and I'll line you up with all the details.

Matt

Comment

• Web000x,
      Check your PM

Matt,
      I have all my notes put together from everything you have shared with us. I can't thank you enough for your willingness to put this out there for all of us to take advantage of. Now we need a boat load of people to replicate.

As you know, from all the times you've helped me in the past, I am not the brightest bulb when it comes to electronics, but I am going to give this my very, very best shot. I owe it to my dad, who lives off the grid right now using only solar to charge his battery bank. I would gladly make a trip to your place from CA to get this running for him, but would not want to impose on you for the time it would take walking someone like me through the process, so I will do my best to replicate it based on what you have shared here, One thing for sure, if I can do it successfully, any idiot can!!! As to that, only time will tell.

Dave Bowling
      “Advances are made by answering questions. Discoveries are made by questioning answers.”
      —Bernhard Haisch, Astrophysicist

Comment

• Originally posted by Matthew Jones View Post
        Hey all

This week RoseHill Works came up to the house all the way from Missouri to get his switch running.

It is the first steps in few but we have got his Simple Switch running like a champ. So far just 100 watt load running for testing purposes.

But this switch with IGBT's that drive it is more than capable of driving a 3kw load with long term power output, completely driven DIGITALLY. Of course we have to add the batteries, but this is it.
        Still needs few things likes the bells and whistles worked out but they are well on the way.

I just wanted to publicly thank him and his team for giving me the opportunity to help set it up.

Here is some picks for ya'll

Cheers
        Matt
        Hey Matt,
        3kw using IGBT's ? They would need to handle close to 250amps. Do you have a part number for it?

Thanks,
        Alex

Comment

• IGBT's

The IGBT combines the simple gate-drive characteristics of the MOSFETs with the high-current and low–saturation-voltage capability of bipolar transistors by combining an isolated gate FET for the control input, and a bipolar power transistor as a switch, in a single device. The IGBT is used in medium- to high-power applications such as switched-mode power supplies, traction motor control and induction heating. Large IGBT modules typically consist of many devices in parallel and can have very high current handling capabilities in the order of hundreds of amperes with blocking voltages of 6000 V, equating to hundreds of kilowatts.

Here is one location I found
          IGBTs, 900-1300V - STMicroelectronics
          “Advances are made by answering questions. Discoveries are made by questioning answers.”

Comment

• Surface Tension of Fluid Matter

There is a surface cohesion similar to water surface tension that has been noted in fluid matter. Could it be as simple as, when we disrupt the surface cohesion of magnetic fields that the sea of energy lend it energy to make that balance happen? I noticed a small boat passing thru the mile wide area near two islands. It was just a 18 footer with a 30 hp putter on the transom. He was making about 5 knots. There was a small wake but this wake made waves on both sides of the passage on the two islands shores of 5-8 inches and the noise was loud and continuous from these waves on both shores. The amount of water falling constantly from the waves must have weighted cumulatively thousands of pounds. How did this little boat lift all this water weight that was falling constantly? Nature must be correcting the surface tension?? So if this example is also how balance is regained what would it have to add back to a magnetic field rubbing another magnetic field to try to regain balance. Do you think this is where what we are seeking is coming from? I wonder like you all do, who can lend light on this? I am certainly curious for an explanation. I was reading the opening statements to this topic and thought this might be of use.

Comment

Hey Carroll the transformer is is just 3 winding of #6 (Supposed to be anyway) the 2 primaries are equal the secondary or output wire is about 25% longer. This keep the potential up on the output.

Matt
              I am very interested in how the transformer is working. I have been scanning through the previous posts and correct me if I am wrong, the setup is very similar to how I am doing it with the Lockridge device. Two primaries opposing and a collector over the top and resistance has to be very low?

Comment

• Shopping list and details

So I got alot of response and people want to build.
                But first I got to tell most of ya, this is the simplest way I can think of to build a Tesla Switch. I cannot imagine anything easier to build.
                So I do not have the time to answer questions all day but I will try to keep up with them, IF your actually building a version of one.
                I am going to give 2 recipes one for small and one for big. I know everyone can't afford the big one but it is really better in the long run.
                Also if you have question on the list of product I'll answer right now.... I do not care if you substitute parts as long as YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING. If it doesn't work out DO NOT ASK ME WHY...Period!

I will start out with a full list of material's needed so you can start to make choice about your budget. Then I will give give switching setup details. I will post a checklist of tests to run through to minimize mistakes and danger. Then you will get TUNING instructions and Measurement points.
                At the END I will post all this info into one PDF file for Download.

In addition to the list of material you may consider getting volt meters amp meters either clamp style or gauge style. This will help when tuning and gathering data. Scopes are nice so you can look at you power but not needed.

SHOPPING LIST

Little One

BIG ONE

If you are going to build this one you had better be able to follow basic schematic and you had better have GOOD organization skills so that you keep track of what you are doing and what wires are what. ONE WRONG connection can cause a serious damage to the system and operator. I do not take any responsibility for such mistakes. Safety should be your first priority. When in doubt do NOT do anything and ask.
                • 4 Batteries 100 amp hour or better
                • A Stamp module, Or IC controller, see above list
                • Transformer. 1 -3 KVA or 1000 to 3000 watts. BIGGER IS BETTER.
                  3000 Watts Step Down Voltage Converter
                • #6 AWG Square magnetic wire at 150 ft, OR #14 awg magnetic wire at 300 ft. Now you can use anything in between the 2 listed wire. But do not go smaller than 14 awg, and DO NOT THINK you can wrap 5 strand of 20 awg together to come up with that size. This a recipe for HEAT and does not work well. You cannot use insulated wire either, this is also a recipe for poor inductance.
                • 40 - 100+ amp switch's BIGGER IS BETTER.
                  ****See schematic details on switch's after list
                • 200 amp Bridge rectifier.
                  Digi-Key - FFPF15UP20STTU-ND (Manufacturer - FFPF15UP20STTU) ***Best Option you will need 50 of these and some Copper or PCB board.
                  Or you can spend big money and buy prebuilt Bridges. The above diode setup that recommend building is CHEAP and FAST with a low power loss. This is important when you start driving loads.
                • 1-3 farad worth of capacitors. Your choice. Quality capacitors should be used.
                • a 12 volt 100 watt load for tuning. Halogen light bulbs for automotive or home use are the best.

This evening I will start to post schematics and switching details.

Thanks
                Matt
                Last edited by Matthew Jones; 09-09-2011, 05:16 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mbrownn View Post
                  I am very interested in how the transformer is working. I have been scanning through the previous posts and correct me if I am wrong, the setup is very similar to how I am doing it with the Lockridge device. Two primaries opposing and a collector over the top and resistance has to be very low?
                  Ya the primaries are LOW resistance. The point is to collect the SPARE magnetic field and make it work while retaining your original power.

Matt

Comment

• Matt,
                    On the list for the large build it says 40 100+ amp switches. Did you mean that, or did you mean FOUR?
                    It also says 50 diodes for building bridge rectifiers. Should that say FIVE? (I realize one bridge uses four.)
                    Just asking. I will buy whatever, and I ALWAYS want extra of everything. I just didn't see that many switches or bridge rectifiers in the schematics, but then i'm not that great at reading schematics. And it's never BAD to have extras!!!!!

David Bowling
                    Last edited by Turion; 09-09-2011, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Ya the primaries are LOW resistance. The point is to collect the SPARE magnetic field and make it work while retaining your original power.

Matt
                      Yes that is the key to the power The bigger the inductance and the lower the resistance

Comment

• Originally posted by Turion View Post
                        Matt,
                        On the list for the large build it says 40 100+ amp switches. Did you mean that, or did you mean FOUR?
                        It also says 50 diodes for building bridge rectifiers. Should that say FIVE? (I realize one bridge uses four.)
                        Just asking. I will buy whatever, and I ALWAYS want extra of everything. I just didn't see that many switches or bridge rectifiers in the schematics, but then i'm not that great at reading schematics. And it's never BAD to have extras!!!!!

David Bowling

Between 40 amp up to 100 amp switch's or more if you can afford them.

It should be 50 seperate diodes. Your really going to use 48 but 50 is the price break, I think. Anyway your going to use 12 per slot. So you will have 1 bridge rectifier with 48 diodes, You'll use 12 in each slot instead of 1.

Originally posted by mbrownn View Post
                        Yes that is the key to the power The bigger the inductance and the lower the resistance
                        YEP!!!

Matt
                        Last edited by Matthew Jones; 09-09-2011, 05:20 PM.

Comment

• Thank you so much Matty , Will , Jeff et ALL
                          gonna write this up for you guys with all your credits.
                          beautiful to watch your team work my friends

Ash

Comment

• Matt.
                            Thanks for all your help

The IGBT's are 300 amp@1200v thay are rated for 4100watts of output
                            Matt has come up with a good switch!. He was a big help on this one! I will do some testing and will try to post it here.
                            William Reed

Comment

[*] 1-3 farad worth of capacitors. Your choice. Quality capacitors should be used.

This evening I will start to post schematics and switching details.

Thanks
                              Matt
                              Thanks Matt for the parts list and looking forward to the schematics.

What is the voltage for the farad caps? Would larger farad caps work even better in this design? Like the Maxwell Ultracapacitors +2000 farad caps?

Cheers Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by vrand View Post
                                Thanks Matt for the parts list and looking forward to the schematics.

What is the voltage for the farad caps? Would larger farad caps work even better in this design? Like the Maxwell Ultracapacitors +2000 farad caps?

Cheers Mike
                                No the cap just needs to be regular capacitor, 1 farad stereo type caps are nice cause they have some holding power with little to no resistance.
                                Those big caps aren't what you want. They are hard to charge and discharge cause of the High ESR on them.

Rockford Fosgate RFC1D Capacitor | eBay

I use an older equivalent.

The schematic is this one http://www.matthewcjones.com/power/SimpleSwitch.jpg.
                                Don't read to much into it its just an outline.

@all
                                The drawings of the switch's are taking some time so as soon as they are done I will finish up and compile the whole article.

Matt

Comment

Working...
                                X