No announcement yet.

Use for the Tesla Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm going to build the small one first, since I have everything to build it already on my shelf except the Radioshack transformer, which I've ordered and the Stamp. So not much out of pocket expense.

I figure to build the large one right will cost at least $600.00, and I want to do it right the first time. (That includes a whole spool of wire, but I figure it won't go to waste, since I'm sure I will be building more of these.) Building the small one will give me the experience with how it operates, and won't be as costly if I make some learning mistakes. When I've got it up and running, I'll build the big one. So I'm in no hurry. I'll sit back and learn from the small one before I give the big one a shot. It will also give me a chance to get all the parts in before I start building.

Thanks again Matt

David Bowling
    “Advances are made by answering questions. Discoveries are made by questioning answers.”
    —Bernhard Haisch, Astrophysicist

Comment

• [QUOTE= Those big switch's with the driver are expensive and if you make even little mistake they go. Ask Rosehill
      Matt[/QUOTE]

You that got wright.! After a few $400 runs Matt was a real budget saver
      start small do it wright and you will not be disappointed
      William Reed

Comment

• At all
        after an eight hour run on two 55 watt halogen lights, and the transformer putting out about another 150 watts of heat, because I used five strands of #20 AWG for L1 L2 L3 (DO NOT DO THAT) Battery 1 lost .25v
        battery 2 lost .13v battery 3 lost .26v battery 4 lost .16v. So use #6 square wire on the big one!!!!!!
        All four battery's in the test where 105amp hour's each.
        Last edited by rosehillworks; 09-13-2011, 01:06 AM.
        William Reed

Comment

• Originally posted by rosehillworks View Post
          At all
          after an eight hour run on two 55 watt halogen lights, and the transformer putting out about another 150 watts of heat, because I used five strands of #20 AWG for L1 L2 L3 (DO NOT DO THAT) Battery 1 lost .25v
          battery 2 lost .13v battery 3 lost .26v battery 4 lost .16v. So use #6 square wire on the big one!!!!!!
          All four battery's in the test where 105amp hour's each.
          Make sure you get baseline by just running the loads on the batteries straight.

Matt

Comment

• Matt
            That is what I did. I was just running the load. (just wasting the power and putting nothing back)
            Or did you mean just run it on the battery's no tesla switch for the baseline?
            Last edited by rosehillworks; 09-13-2011, 02:10 AM.
            William Reed

Comment

Matt
              That is what I did. I was just running the load. (just wasting the power and putting nothing back)
              Or did you mean just run it on the battery's no tesla switch for the baseline?
              Ya NO Switch at all. Run it for 1 hour see what you loose. Next day run the switch for 1 hour see what you lose.

Cheers
              Matt

Comment

• Matt
                Thanks. I will do that.
                William Reed

Comment

Mike
                  That build is mine. The out put is 3000watts. Matt was vary kind in helping me getting it to work!!! I hope to post some test soon. I did not used the right wire so I have to wind it again with #6 transformer wire. Matt is right about the heat in the transformer so use what he said to use.

The caps I used are 18,000 uf x 7=126000uf
                  [ATTACH]8950[/ATTACH]
                  Wow, I'm trying to understand what you guys are doing and so far it looks great!
                  @Rosehillworks -- it's not clear to me yet why you need a transformer... can you explain its function? and what type you needed?

@Matt, I look forward to your detailed plans -- and what is your most recent video on this? Hey, thanks for this adventure and the progress made.

Comment

• I do not have any videos as they do not show much. I am putting together instructions on how to build several sizes of this TS. Later once few replicate I will give out the complete details on how to rotate batteries for long term use.

The transformer is used to collect the normally wasted magnetic energy on the wire and use it as current.

Matt

Comment

• In the beginning....

OK Matt,
                      Got my handy dandy Radio Shack transformer unwound and ready to be rewound.

There are two sections on the transformer. I know I am to use three strands of #20 magnet wire for this, but in what configuration on the transformer? I also know that at least one of the wires has to be shorter. I have read back through the notes, but all the actual references to lengths I can find apply to the bigger device, and are using #14 wire, so I am unclear as to how to proceed.

Oh, got my Stamp kit today too, so all I need are some switches and I'm set. Thought I'd use 20 amp relays until I find some switches for this that will work correctly.

David Bowling
                      Last edited by Turion; 04-20-2012, 03:12 PM.
                      “Advances are made by answering questions. Discoveries are made by questioning answers.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Turion View Post
                        OK Matt,
                        Got my handy dandy Radio Shack transformer unwound and ready to be rewound.

There are two sections on the transformer. I know I am to use three strands of #20 magnet wire for this, but in what configuration on the transformer? I also know that at least one of the wires has to be shorter. I have read back through the notes, but all the actual references to lengths I can find apply to the bigger device, and are using #14 wire, so I am unclear as to how to proceed.

Oh, got my Stamp kit today too, so all I need are some switches and I'm set. Thought I'd use 20 amp relays until I find some switches for this that will work correctly.

David Bowling
                        What kind of wire do you have handy?

Are the relays mechanical? Mechanical relays will not work. Do you have and transistors handy?

Matt

Comment

• I have one (1,000 ft) spool of #20, two (1,000 ft) spools of #23, and one (1,000 ft) spool of #26
                          I've got a bunch of transistors for Bedini projects 30 of the MJL 21194
                          Several from Radio Shack:
                          2 of NTE 331
                          3 of the 2N3904
                          3 of the TIP31 (40 volt 3 Amp 20W dissipation)
                          45 NPN that I can't see a number on
                          their h
                          /fe is 200
                          Vce 30v
                          Ic 800mA
                          Power dissipation 1.8W

But I will go buy whatever I need. That's just what I have lying on the shelf.
                          The relays I had ARE mechanical, so that's out. But the store is close. Fry's Electronics and Radio Shack both.

I thought I would start winding the transformer however it needs to be wound while I order the rest of my stuff that I can't just go out and buy.

Comment

• Wind the transformer with #20 awg. I am not sure off hand how much you'll get on it as far as footage but make sure 1 wire is 20% longer. So if you can fit 3 wires at 10 ft then make sure the 3rd wire is 12 foot. Follow ME?

Make sure you mark that wire aside from the other 2. Make sure you mark the the start and finish of all wires. If you don't you'll have a fire.

I'll set you up a circuit for the MJL's. Post it tomorrow.

Matt

Comment

• Matt,
                              There are two separate sections on this transformer. Do the two short wires go one one section and the longer wire on the other section? That is the way I planned on winding it, so want to make sure I don't screw it up from the get go. I assume they should all be wound in the same direction also.

David

Comment

• Just make it one section and wrap all the wires together. Use razor knife to score plastic and break it off.

Matt

Comment

Working...
                                X