Use for the Tesla Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rl2003 View Post
    Bits, I wanted to know if a version 2.2.3 TS would be appropriate for testing
    this set up, and is the code that was posted a couple pages ago ok?
    Also this version had two load outputs, "load" and "charge load"?
    This has the Picaxe 18x, and I was also wondering if the 18M will work as well?
    I would like to post some results using four 12v 8ah batteries soon.
    Mark P.
    You should be able modify this version and make it work. Make it as close as you can to Matts. As for the code just understand the switching points (pins) and modify it.

Thanks

Jeff

Comment

• FINALLY got my relay version up and running with some help from Matt (THANKS MATT!!!) I shouldn't reveal my stupidity, but I actually had it working and didn't realize it because the transformer was so quiet and my laptop was sitting right next to it on it's stand which has two external cooling fans in the base running off usb power from the laptop, so I couldn't tell the transformer was working and my light wasn't coming on. I kept checking and checking my connections and could not for the life of me figure out what was wrong. Finally, I checked the voltage at the light and realized I had almost 17 volts output. Bad lightbulb was my only problem. Played with tuning it for the last couple hours and I can see how important THAT is!!!

Almost have BOTH transistor versions wired up, and will run both of those and then pick whichever one of the three seems to have the best output to do some test runs with. Let the Fun Begin!

Sometimes Matt comes off as a hard guy, but he has been nothing but patient with me, first walking me through a whole lot of stuff when I did replications of his "Simple Motor" (I didn't know Matt at the time, but if John Bedini was interested in it, I figured it was worth a serious look) and now helping me to get my switch running. I can't wait to get the bigger one up and running too. Ordering the transformer tomorrow since I have everything else. I thought about using a different transformer, but after talking with Matt today I realized it's just NOT worth deviating even a little from what he has laid out because then the only question is whether or not you can put it together correctly and tune it.

Those of you who are thinking about this and just haven't built it yet, get your act together FAST, the window may be rapidly closing for you to get serious help on this. No one knows what tomorrow may bring, or take away.
      “Advances are made by answering questions. Discoveries are made by questioning answers.”
      —Bernhard Haisch, Astrophysicist

Comment

• Originally posted by ehsanco1062 View Post
        Hi Carroll.
        I finished winding my transformer with a lot of hard time but i did it at last .
        I have two wire 20 AWG with about 17m. and the AC wire is 21AWGand its about 21.5m long and i measure the resistance for the 12v wire and it was 0.9,0.8 Ohm but I have found that the resistance of the AC wire was 1.3-1.4 Ohm I don’t weather is it ;k or not because you had mention before that the resistance should be less than 1 Ohm .
        Thanks
        Ehsan
        That won't hurt ya bit.

Originally posted by Sobakin View Post
        I tried to improve the scheme, so that's what I'll try to build in 2-3 days.
        Using 4 switches and wouldn't need to swap batteries, if it'll work as I imagine.
        But Sobakin, This may work for you better, but is it better? Maybe you just need to work on your transformer so it closer to what the batteries want. Or get new batteries that are closer to what the transformer wants.
        Reconfiguring it may not be what is needed.

Originally posted by Turion View Post
        FINALLY got my relay version up and running with some help from Matt
        Its good to hear. You been working hard on it you deserve to get something going. Now make sure you walk through the steps and make the thing work better.

Cheers All
        Matt

Comment

• Small transformer wound

Got time to wind the small transformer today, used #18 wire.
          Will work on the switches next.
          Attached Files
          Live to experiment, Experiment to live (+_+)

Comment

• Hi folks, finished soldering the bs2 stamp kit. I guess I will give the 18 gauge wire a go and see what happens.
            Not sure what the urgency is with some folks here, we have done without decent suppressed technology for this long, I would think we can have the same patience with this, lol.
            Besides, the game of life is not who gets to the finish first, It's what have you learned or re(remembered) of who you are.
            Whether or not Matt continues to help is irrelevant, he has given us some creative ideas and that is what matters, besides, I have found it is very difficult to understand how an individual is expressing oneself in text on the internet.
            peace love light
            tyson

Comment

• Hi All
              i have a question. which is butter twist the three wire and wide it or just winde the three wire with out twist them together?
              because i have noticed that some of the guys here wind the wire with out twist them .

Thanks
              Ehsan
              Take the wisdom even from the mouths of the insane

Comment

Hi All
                which is butter twist the three wire and wide it or just winde the three wire with out twist them together?
                Without twist. At least You may lay more wire this way, winding would look more accurately and it'll work better.

Comment

Hi All
                  i have a question. which is butter twist the three wire and wide it or just winde the three wire with out twist them together?
                  because i have noticed that some of the guys here wind the wire with out twist them .

Thanks
                  Ehsan
                  I think I said PDF you do not need to Litz your wire together. If you do you will get less wire on your spool as Litzed wire has a larger circumference and therefore takes up more space.

Matt

Comment

• Thank you Matt and Sobakin, I have already Litz my wires and I will see the result if it’s not ok then i will wind the transformer with the new 20 AWG I ordered and hopefully it will come next week. And Matt ya you are right about the spacing and I am sure if wind it without litz it I would lay more wire .

Thanks
                    Ehsan

Comment

• Transformer Winding Estimator

Hello All,

This is my attempt to come up with a way to ESTIMATE the amount of wire needed to wind a transformer that Matthew describes. Download the file and rename it from TSWindings.xls.pdf to TSWindings.xls so you can open it in Excel. The calculations are based on how much a single winding will fit on a spool perfectly wound and then calculates the lengths of the primaries and a secondary which is 25% longer than the primaries. The Test data is based on a 200VA 120V-24V transformer that I have dissassembled and measured the bobbin dimensions. I haven't had a chance to wind it yet.

Enter the diameter of the magnet wire and the bobbin dimensions.
                      To remove a layer, delete the highest layer number. To add a layer type in the next highest layer number.

Actual wire length needed will be affected by winding neatness, tightness, insulation thickness etc... Most likely you will use less wire than calculated.

Please take a look and see how close it comes to your actual results and report back so I can tweak it. This is a work in progress. Use at your own risk.

Alex
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Hi Matt,
                        I found that i have center tap 12v transformer so I disassemble one wire and remove the center tap and rewind the wire again and then when i took the resistance of each wire i get 0.5 and 0.4 Ohm and for the secondary wire the reading was 25 Ohm!!
                        Does the last reading work.

Thanks
                        Ehsan
                        Last edited by ehsanco1062; 10-16-2011, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Hi Matt,
                          I found that i have center tap 12v transformer so I disassemble one wire and remove the center tap and rewind the wire again and then when i took the resistance of each wire i get 0.5 and 0.4 Ohm and for the secondary wire the reading was 25 Ohm!!
                          Does the last reading work.

Thanks
                          Ehsan
                          Ya you'll end up with something like 120/240 volt so you gotta have load to match that. Maybe you could just rewind that section.

Your choice.

@Hherby

Thanks, I'll look at that. I appriciate the effort no matter the outcome.

Matt

Comment

• Originally posted by Matthew Jones View Post
                            Ya you'll end up with something like 120/240 volt so you gotta have load to match that. Maybe you could just rewind that section.

Your choice.

@Hherby

Thanks, I'll look at that. I appriciate the effort no matter the outcome.

Matt
                            do you mean 240 DC load?
                            if thats what you mean the i would rather rewind that section with 19AWG that I have in my hand.

Thanks
                            Ehsan

Comment

• Everything thats comes off the transformer is AC. If you run it through the rectifiers than its DC.

Matt

Comment

• 2nd Switch up and running!!

Got the Sziklai pair switch up and running. Just followed the directions and it ran the first time I flipped the switch, Having spent all that time fighting to get the relay version to work did me lots of good. I have a much better understanding of how this stuff goes together now
                                Picture of my relay switch build is at post #3783 and here is a pic of the Szziklai pair build.

I also video'd it on my YouTube channel. 11Turion
                                Last edited by Turion; 04-20-2012, 03:12 PM.
                                “Advances are made by answering questions. Discoveries are made by questioning answers.”
                                —Bernhard Haisch, Astrophysicist

Comment

Working...
                                X