The air compressed automobile thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The air compressed automobile thread

I open this thread to learn and share experience about any kind of DIY air-compressed transport.

Air compressed vehicles videos;

#1. First Car Running on Compressed Air - YouTube

#2. MECH DONZ OF VLB !!!AIR MOTOR VEHICLE !!!! - YouTube

#3. $10,000 Car - AirPod - That Runs On Air - YouTube
    Last edited by AetherScientist; 11-09-2012, 02:08 PM.

Fascinating subject. Understanding the power in air is really cool.
    here is some info
    H.E.A.T. Technology, Book 3 incl. Wise Cycle Report | www.eagle-research.com

Here is the master of air car info
    Pneumatic Options Research Library Best site on the net for such info.

Here is his new forum
    Air Car Access - Home

Comment

The French air car is one of the worst designs imho

Check this guy out very beautiful design.
      Engine Air
      Super efficient engine

Comment

The Holy Grail of the idea Bob Neal
        Pneumatic Options Research Library: Bob Neal's Patent

Comment

Hey thank to join this thread and thanks for the links.
          I really like the Bob Neal's design and I didn't knew anything about it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The problem with that kind of motor design is when you put the air into one of the valves you're loosing energy because at the same time you're using the air to make pressure and move the mechanism to produce rotation and torque, you're also loosing energy while the air in the other valve is loosing pressure, because the mechanism needs to push up to put out the air. I prefer Di Pietro's design: Engine Air (you've mentioned it above).
          Last edited by AetherScientist; 11-06-2012, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Hi all,
            I have interest here and have spent some time looking at these systems.
            The links provided by you both have alot of good info and provide a good base for further study.
            But!! as I look out the window here in northern Wisconsin, 1" of snow & wind blowing, I find myself wondering how would I provide heat in my car? Especially when we many times have 20 to 40 below temps in mid winter. I see the same problem with electric vehicles. When at home one could use a friction heater, seeing the efficiency of the (Engine air) above I believe this could easily be accomplished.
            But!! what to do when working and your car is sitting in a parking lot for 8-12 hours? It takes a lot of heat to warm up that buggy.
            I find the possibilities of using solar & wind most interesting, energy storage at times of high wind or clear days might be incorporated into the auto design.
            The use of compressed air at home could be a very efficient means of energy storage, if one was to use the "Engine air" coupled to a generator.

Just my thoughts ,
            Gene

Comment

Gene,
              I think the heat can be obtained using a friction heater because it's more efficient than the classical mechanism. If not, use a nichrome wire to release heat and a fan to extend the heat inside all the car. For that purpouse you can add an secondary electric motor/generator based on air.
              The air pressure moves the generator and with that electric power you run the heater.
              The "fuel" is the same, the air. But in the main motor you use the air to produce torque and rotation to move the car and in the second generator you use the movement to generate electric power.

Last edited by AetherScientist; 11-06-2012, 07:50 PM.

Comment

While air engines are very efficient (ie more than 90%) compressing air is a very inefficient process with more than 80% of the energy converted to heat. Therefore the overall efficiency of a vehicle powered by compressed air is less than a vehicle powered by petrol, which makes me doubtful of any patent claiming to be a able to run a vehicle on air from an onboard compressor that uses the air powered engine itself to compress the air. Even if you are using renewable energy to compress the air do you really want to be wasting more than 80% of the electricity you produce from a source is not energy dense and unreliable?

Comment

phi1.62
                  Maybe no one (or not enought) people has thought about how to overcome that problem. The main advantage, and we know that is true, is that the air powered motors are very efficient. The problem is in the process to compress the air, because it's inefficient. The idea is to refill the container with air in a dedicated place. I haven't thought about compressing the air in the same car, extracting the energy from the generator. We know that is a waste of time.

The main advantage is that air-powered cars are very efficient and cheap. Other thing, that we can study also, is how to get a more efficient process to compress the air. But in any case, the air compression will be made in a place (not inside the car). So you need to go to that place to refill the car with air.

Comment

@phi1.62
                    Actually all text books I have read 100% of the energy is lost in heat. Bu then we still have the compressed aid in the tank. So we actually have over unity.

As AetherScientist said there are way of manipulating the system in such a way to make it pretty efficient. The Bob Neal patent was rejected at first because they considered it a perpetual motion machine. So he went to Washington with a scale model to prove his concept much like Stan Meyers and his water splitter.

Air is just another way to manipulate solar energy.

There are some anomalies that can be used in developing air motors. One is using the heat in compression to advantage.

There is also a way of using air as a spring 'mechanism" with other ideas. For example the Clem engine.

Comment

@phi1.62
                      Actually all text books I have read 100% of the energy is lost in heat during compression. But then we still have the compressed air in the tank. So we actually have over unity.

As AetherScientist said there are way of manipulating the system in such a way to make it pretty efficient. The Bob Neal patent was rejected at first because they considered it a perpetual motion machine. So he went to Washington with a scale model to prove his concept much like Stan Meyers and his water splitter.

Air is just another way to manipulate solar energy.

There are some anomalies that can be used in developing air motors. One is using the heat in compression to advantage.

There is also a way of using air as a spring 'mechanism" with other ideas. For example the Clem engine.

Comment

Air Compressor

Hello sykavy,

In reguard to the question of a compressor, by use of the falling water principal compression of air is available. however we have not gone to examine the energy needs of the shaft to rotate the liquid into a vertical standng. If of any assistance please make use of.

PS. Please note its the water not the shaft doing the compression. Air naturaly goes to the top, the circular water motion see it done so. The energy need to rotate the water?

Cheers Peter
                        http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/...COMPRESSOR.png
                        Last edited by DaS Energy; 11-09-2012, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sykavy View Post
                          @phi1.62
                          Maybe no one, or not a high amount of people, has been in the problem about how to increase the efficiency of the air compression technique. 80% of inefficiency means that some can be done in order to increase the efficiency of that process. It's just only to begin to examine the concept since the beginning again. It seems that it isn't too much complex. Just only compress volume.

Even Di Pietro motor seems to be quite easy to replicate. There are just a small number of parts involved. No more than 6 pieces I think.

Originally posted by DaS Energy View Post
                          Hello sykavy,

In reguard to the question of a compressor, by use of the falling water principal compression of air is available. however we have not gone to examine the energy needs of the shaft to rotate the liquid into a vertical standng. If of any assistance please make use of.

Cheers Peter
                          http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/...COMPRESSOR.png
                          Can be an option.

Comment

Just a thought, but would it be more efficient (ie more usable energy) to use a "Tesla Turbine" to convert the compressed air into rotational energy rather than a "piston" type design? Allegedly Tesla claimed efficiency of up to 95% (link: Tesla turbine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

It appears that piston-in-cylinder type engines inherently waste energy by the piston (and push-rods) having to change directions twice with each complete stroke.

truesearch

Comment

Does this air compressed vehicle thread close already ?

No one respond for many days.

Comment

Working...
                              X