Need advice on RE system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on RE system

I have a dream in mind - to live off grid. I am planning on supplying all or most of my power needs from photovoltaics, but also have a propane generator for winter days when I may be running low on sunlight. I plan on using between 5-7Kwh per day but would also like to have battery storage backup for about 3 days. I am planning on building in northwest canada and during the winter months on receive about 1.2 solar hours per day. The electrical utilities I would be using is deep water pump and water heating, refrigerator and freezer during the summer months (can be stored outside during the winter), laptop * hours/day, and LED lighting for a few hours at night.

I was planning on using a 24v PV systems tied into 24 6v deep cycle batteries. I am very new to all this and want some feedback if I am getting any of this right.

I would also like a few external solar powered outdoor lights not tied into the main battery bank, that are motion triggered- in use probably max of 2 hours a day. Any ideas on good brands or systems to get?

Do you have any thoughts on closed-loop glycol solar hot water heaters? Are they really worth the cost/benefit for northern climates?

Thanks,

Jimbo

Hi,

I would suggest for solar water/glycol heating the vacuum tubes solar heating system (probably the best available now).
    Vacuum tubes solar heating specifications page
    Best Green Living | Cost Effective Solar Water Heating

You could do a check of the average wind speed where you will build and get a 24V windmill and tower if the conditions are right but don't expect too much if the average wind speed is low, I get about 5% of my battery system charging from the windmill and the rest is from solar panels. They work best during a storm, when you need it most since the solar panels output will be low due to lack of decent lighting conditions.

Hope this helps a little,

Michel
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYscnFpEyA

Comment

Working...
    X