Transformers a new idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transformers a new idea?

Hey guys, I've been following along on energeticforum for a while now. Forgive me if I'm a bit naive about electronics because I know very little about them compared to most people on these forums. I've watched several youtube videos showcasing transformers, joule ringers, joule thiefs etc. In nearly all of them there are some commenters that take jabs at the videos saying that they are "just transformers, this is old technology" - which being new to this area of study - I have no idea what to believe. It seems most are intrigued on how to get a 120v lightbulb to run on a 9v battery and others don't seem surprised at all.

I was hoping someone could set the record straight on everything. I've had a lot of fun replicating projects and such and I see value in running lights on a low battery source, but is this honestly new technology?

My question is this - why aren't companies that produce flash lights using circuits in them that can allow the light to run on 1 AA battery like the fuji joule thief? I'm not a big theory conspiracy guy, so I'm just wondering about the facts.

Thanks for any enlightenment!

my 2 cents

the co. that sells the flashlight ,probably also sells the batteries
    The whole system is designed to keep buying more,or else it dosen't work.
    For the rich that is.
    shylo

Comment

Originally posted by br0ns0n77 View Post
      transformers, joule ringers, joule thiefs.
      I was hoping someone could set the record straight on everything. Is this honestly new technology?

Why aren't companies that produce flash lights using circuits in them that can allow the light to run on 1 AA battery?
      Transformers have a variety of purposes such as raising and lowering voltage and matching "impedances".

Joule ringers demonstrated "resonance"

Joule thiefs are a form of "blocking oscilator"

Each is separate and of scientific curiosity but are fairly well explained in theory. In practice, much can be learned and questions are frequent.

To set the record straight on all of this in one response is a tall order, but separating the science from the myth is ultimately up to the individual observer. Science has not provided all the answers to all the questions that are being raised.

New technology? A big sector of the contributors on this forum appeal to the work of Nikola Tesla who died more than 50 years ago. The technology tossed back and forth is a mixture of old and new.

With regards to your last question, there are MANY products out there that rely on the Joule Thief principle if not the actual circuit itself. The big "product" in this category is the switching power supply.

I suggest you keep reading and join in trying to replicate some of the more ambitious projects. Watch out for confusing and contradictory opinions. There are a lot of stupid trolls out there that seem to love spouting off with nonsense.

The reason you don't see more flash lights based on a single AA cell is because a single AA cell only has a limited amount of energy it can deliver. In all this, try to remember that energy, not power or voltage is the limiting factor.
      There is a reason why science has been successful and technology is widespread. Don't be afraid to do the math and apply the laws of physics.

Comment

Originally posted by wayne.ct View Post
        Transformers have a variety of purposes such as raising and lowering voltage and matching "impedances".

Joule ringers demonstrated "resonance"

Joule thiefs are a form of "blocking oscilator"

Each is separate and of scientific curiosity but are fairly well explained in theory. In practice, much can be learned and questions are frequent.

To set the record straight on all of this in one response is a tall order, but separating the science from the myth is ultimately up to the individual observer. Science has not provided all the answers to all the questions that are being raised.

New technology? A big sector of the contributors on this forum appeal to the work of Nikola Tesla who died more than 50 years ago. The technology tossed back and forth is a mixture of old and new.

With regards to your last question, there are MANY products out there that rely on the Joule Thief principle if not the actual circuit itself. The big "product" in this category is the switching power supply.

I suggest you keep reading and join in trying to replicate some of the more ambitious projects. Watch out for confusing and contradictory opinions. There are a lot of stupid trolls out there that seem to love spouting off with nonsense.

The reason you don't see more flash lights based on a single AA cell is because a single AA cell only has a limited amount of energy it can deliver. In all this, try to remember that energy, not power or voltage is the limiting factor.
        Well said.

I like Squires statement "energy is conserved, power is not"

With an inductor or transformer we can pulse it with X amount of energy and X - losses can be obtained as an output. If the load was high in impedance then the voltage will rise to maintain the current but it will deliver for a shorter amount of time thus energy is conserved. If we do the volts times amps calculation on the input and output we see that power in terms of watts has gone up but remember the time factor, it is shorter so energy is conserved.

The paradox

If we make the input do work as well as the output, we have a paradox because we find that the total is more than the input. I know this sounds strange but bare with me on this.

A typical DC motor is 35 to 50% efficient but when used with pulse width modulation on the right type of circuit it appears to be 66 to 98% efficient. This is the figure that many manufacturers use when quoting the efficiency of their motors. The paradox is when we measure the heat output as well as the mechanical power and add them together, the result is more than 100% of the input. This only occurs with pulsed DC, why is this?

Of course it is the inductive kickback that adds to the input, it is very controversial when you point it out but is known and used all the time in pulse width modulation. Mainstream science has a problem with this and so does not look at it, you never see them run a motor on PWM in a calorimeter and measure the mechanical power at the same time.

In universal motors, which are transformers at the same time, the transformer output is used to compensate the motor improving efficiency and reducing sparking.

A similar phenomenon is also used with induction motors run on AC and it is the gain in energy that powers the rotor. The rotor is the secondary winding of the transformer. Yes Tesla knew about it and that is how he came up with the induction motor. A typical induction motor appears 80% efficient, double that of a typical DC motor and now you know why.

Comment

100W incandescent bulb generate roughly the same amount of light as 17W CFL , but did you ever thought where those 17W go in CFL ? Mostly it is radiated as heat in electronics inside it....

Comment

Originally posted by boguslaw View Post
            100W incandescent bulb generate roughly the same amount of light as 17W CFL , but did you ever thought where those 17W go in CFL ? Mostly it is radiated as heat in electronics inside it....
            Hmm A good point there. With a motor, We are powering the losses not the load or the load is only taking a small amount of power.

I tend to think that some energy has to be converted to light as light is energy but maybe it is a lot more efficient than we think. just think how much power we have to put into an LED and how much light it produces.

Comment

Originally posted by mbrownn View Post
              Hmm A good point there. With a motor, We are powering the losses not the load or the load is only taking a small amount of power.

I tend to think that some energy has to be converted to light as light is energy but maybe it is a lot more efficient than we think. just think how much power we have to put into an LED and how much light it produces.
              Yes, because there is almost no heat, btu pass too much amps and you will see heat too.... Anyway, I think you are correct, we are paying for losses in every electric company bill ..Would be great to eliminate all those fans in my computer This noise is killing my ears (after years of work I have kind of noise problem, when there is noise I can't recognize spoken words)

Comment

Working...
              X