aluminum wire vs copper wire for electromagnets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aluminum wire vs copper wire for electromagnets

does anybody have any experience using aluminum wire to make electromagnets?

what are the differences in regards to regular copper wire?

Use of aluminium wire is not a good idea as it can get very hot and cause fires.

. . .
    Regular service Signature:
    Follow along on my Algae growing adventure, where I'm currently growing Spirulina and two mystery strains (one of which can also produce Biofuel). All is revealed in the Growing Algae thread...

Comment

You can use aluminum but you need to stay within its ampacity rating. The same size copper wire can handle more amps. You would need a #10 aluminum wire to handle 20 amps compared to a #12 copper which handles 20 amps. A #12 aluminum can only handle 15 amps.

Ampacity Charts
      Last edited by Iotayodi; 01-21-2013, 12:09 AM.

Comment

I have been using Al-wire in some coils for transformers. It is a LOT cheaper, its conductance is slightly less (2.8 vs 1.7 *10^-8 Ohm.meter, I thought), it conducts heat better and it weighs much less.

They are using it in old fashioned welding transformers (the 50/60 Hz ones). I have seen it being used for 7-24 KW transformers. So I guess its OK for that application.
        For electromagnets, I honestly don't know, but my guess would be that it would be safe to use.

Ernst.

Comment

Aluminum or copper, make sure you know How to Make Proper Wiring Connections

Comment

Hi all,

I have found aluminum coils in micro-wave HV transfo so I guess that makes the Al wire safe for domestic use. Just follow the rating of your particular wire size.

Take care,

Michel
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYscnFpEyA

Comment

Working...
            X