Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

help!: a mathematical formula for leedskalnin research needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help!: a mathematical formula for leedskalnin research needed.

"In my location at Rock Gate, between Twenty-fifth and Twenty-sixth Latitude and Eightieth and Eighty-first Longitude West, in three-foot long magnet the South Pole end is about a sixteenth of an inch longer. Farther North it should be longer yet, but at Equator both ends of the magnet should be equal in length. In earth's South hemisphere the North Pole end of magnet should be longer.

All my hanging magnets or compasses they never point to the earth's magnetic pole, neither to the geographical pole. They point a little Northeast. The only reason I can figure out why they point in that way is, looking from the same geographical meridian the North magnetic pole is on, the South magnetic pole is one hundred and fifteen longitudes West from it. In rough estimation the earth's South magnetic pole is two hundred and sixty miles West from the same meridian the earth's North magnetic pole is on. That causes the North and South Pole magnets to run in Northeast and Southwest direction My location is too far away from the magnetic poles so all my magnets are guided by the general stream of individual North and South Pole magnets that are passing by."

Magnetic Current pg 6-7

it's obvious that Ed, performed some method of calculation right from CC coming up with this assumption.

has anybody managed to figure out HOW Ed came up with this number of 260 miles? it should be a scale value. longitude near the euator is about 60 miles apart. latitude is app 69.2 miles apart. can somebody please help me figure out this equation?

thanks!

make a drawing first
    The pure in heart will see the light.

Comment

i already did...

Comment

Let me try....

260 miles is 418 Km.

The south pole differs 115 degrees from the north pole, he says.

On the equator 360 degrees equals 40,000 Km, so 115 degrees would be 12,777 Km.
        But the meridians get closer together, the closer you get to the poles.
        At the poles themselves the distance between any two meridians is 0.
        This depends on the cosine of the latitude.
        This cosine appearently is 418/12777, so this gives us a latitude of 88 degrees south roughly.

Does that answer your question?

Ernst.

Comment

err... not really.

based o n ed's writings, there is a 1/16th of an inch difference on his 3 foot magnet. so how would yuo scale that?

Comment

As shown, if you already know the latitude of the south pole, the second paragraph gives you the difference in longitude, and that gives you all you need to figure out the 260 miles.

I think Ed may use the information from the first paragraph to calculate the distance from his location to the south pole, but he does not supply sufficient info here to reconstruct that calculation.

Knowing this distance, you can draw a circle on the globe on which line the south pole is to be found. Then you need one more thing to find the exact location. Can be either latitude or longitude.
            Reading the text that you copied I do not think that he has scaled up 1/16" of 3' to directly arrive at 260 miles.

This is my opinion after reading just what you have supplied here. Of course there could be more info in his book which would make a different approach possible.

Ernst.

Comment

thanks for the info and time ernst!

Comment

Working...
              X