Alcohol as a fuel vs petrol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alcohol as a fuel vs petrol

While this is in no way new information there is a lot of misinformation out there and this video does a great job of explaining many things---> "Alcohol can be a gas" **** ( David Blume Alcohol Can Be A Gas discussion - YouTube )****

Thought it might be of interest to some of you, seems very feasible and renewable to me

http://www.energeticforum.com/images/smilies/sun.gif

http://www.energeticforum.com/images.../peaceflag.gif

Alcohol will work great as a fuel, only problem is that it creates much more heat, That is why an ICE will not burn more than 15-20% alcohol. The newer ICE's can burn up to 85% alcohol. They use harder seats for the valves and special hardened steel valves. Also use larger coolant systems to compensate for the additional heat. In some countries, like Brazil, they use alcohol exclusively for their motor vehicles. They use sugar cane to convert into alcohol, so there is only a small import of oil from other countries. We use corn here in the U.S. to convert into alcohol(ethanol). It has driven the price up for corn used in food production. We have cut our independence on oil but have increased the price on food. Good Luck. stealth

Comment

Another problem is alcohol absorbs water from the atmosphere by condensation
      in tanks and so forth, different oils may need to be used as well. On top of that
      it does require significant work to get to the pump.

As Stealth says it is used in Brazil for one place as a large portion of their fuel
      use. I use the (first take off portion) from my still for burner fuel to heat
      water and stuff using a spirit burner. At about 80% alcohol or 160 proof it
      works as a burner fuel and all is gone when finished, the 20% water or so
      might reduce the heat of the flame but cause it to burn longer, not sure, the
      flame gives off water and co2 so it's fairly clean.

Adding a significant amount of water to the fuel of an internal combustion engine is generally not a
      good idea if you want the head to stay attached to the cylinder block snugly.
      However water injection is used to improve power in some petrol engines.
      Water/alcohol injection would also work in that way I think (atomized I think is the term).

Research tells me that the V2 Rockets ran on 80% ethanol 20% water and
      liquid oxygen for the oxidizer, the fuel and oxidizer pumps were powered by a
      H2O2 reaction through a catalyst similar to the way a "rocketman" rocket
      pack is designed to give thrust is how the V2 fuel and oxygen pumps were run looks like.

Compared to petrol I think there needs to be a way to store the alcohol
      in order to prevent too much moisture getting into it. Maybe in "bladders" so
      there is no moisture laden air inside the containers.

Last edited by Farmhand; 01-15-2014, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X