No announcement yet.

The Ultimate Electro-Mechanical Device to Harness Gravitational Potential

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No no no... Diametric magnets have nothing to do with nothing. Orion is confused.

For B field magnetic bearings you just need regular ring magnets.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Jones View Post
      No no no... Diametric magnets have nothing to do with nothing. Orion is confused.

For B field magnetic bearings you just need regular ring magnets.

Matt
      yah, I get confused easily enough alright.

Sorry, thought you were talking about what I saw on your video. Didn't know you could make bearings with regular ring magnets.

Edit: Ok, just re-watched the last video with the double ring magnets....that looks like it might be quite strong and easier to do.
      Last edited by OrionLightShip; 01-22-2016, 05:09 AM.

Comment

Matt, that's awesome!

If I had known they were this easy I'd have made some by now!

Thank you very much for the info....

So there appears to be 4 of the small ones inside the Perspex, total 4 x 8 = 32 and the two larger ones sit in between the middle?

I could get these water jet cut from any material...... Would aluminium be the best choice?

I'm guessing the bouncing shaft happens because of the low repulsion of the smaller magnets.

Axially magnetized ring magnets get stronger with diameter not length.

Diametrically magnetized ring magnets are the opposite and get stronger with length.

I'm going to build a set of smaller bearings for a prototype for bigger ones.

Excited is an understatement!

Best regards,

Paul

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSvpcsVlBVo

This a good set but of course something in your case would be quite a bit larger.
          There's a lot of methods for distributing weight across the B field of magnetic assembly. You can tighten the placement on the radius of the outer stator.
          In the above set he has them at 60 degrees all the way around and where to carry more weight you might want to use 20 degrees across the bottom 180 degrees.
          Of course the tighter they all are together the less chance of movement.

Then you always have to have a small points of contact but that can be real small and greased you would never feel the friction.

Cheers
          Matt

Comment

Originally posted by soundiceuk View Post
            Matt, that's awesome!

snip<
            I could get these water jet cut from any material...... Would aluminium be the best choice?

snip<
            Best regards,

Paul
            I don't think I've got a clear picture of exactly what design you have in mind so this may be irrelevant but aluminum like copper will create a drag per Lenz on any magnets if they are in motion near the aluminum.
            There is no important work, there are only a series of moments to demonstrate your mastery and impeccability. Quote from Almine

Comment

Large Ring Magnet

Here's a large ring magnet. Overkill?

Comment

Originally posted by OrionLightShip View Post
                Maybe not if you can handle them!

This is why I decided to experiment with large ferrites just to work everything out. Then when its optimized switch to neos of the correct strength depending on application.

The arrangement drawing isn't finished.

What I wanted to add was a way of holding the magnets with a piece inside each one of the diameters of the magnets, that is adjustable on a slide, so it can be adjusted for an air gap.

With the magnets being the same size allows a concentration of the fields as I see them.

Basically what I see is we are trying to create a magnetic plane for all the bearings to align too.

I would also incorporate magnets on the shaft and inside the housing to prevent sideways movement of the axle.

I've got $50 dollars to put to the project.

Here are the magnets I propose.

100mm O.D x 50mm I.D x 12mm thick Y30BH Ferrite Ring Magnet - 9kg Pull | first4magnets.com

They would lift massive weight if they were neos.

Do you think the fields will work as expected?

Was thinking of using epoxy to fix the magnets.

What's the best choice of mounting material? Its going to be at least 340mm x 50mm x 340mm.

Best regards,

Paul

Comment

In theory the middle ring magnet should be able to be spun inside that assembly to test its operation.

Comment

Originally posted by ewizard View Post
                    I don't think I've got a clear picture of exactly what design you have in mind so this may be irrelevant but aluminum like copper will create a drag per Lenz on any magnets if they are in motion near the aluminum.
                    Not sure what the best material to use for the mountings.

Was fishing for ideas.

Yeah the way magnets react when falling through copper and aluminium tubes is real magic.

Comment

Of course the tighter they all are together the less chance of movement.
                      I hope I understood your design brief.

Cheers man, if this is right then you are a miracle provider!!!!

I've been searching for the answer to passive magnetic bearings for years.

I could just never get my head around the fields needed.

Comment

Aluminum will not have effect as long as you do not run the face of magnet perpendicular to the aluminum.

Your not going to be able use magnetic force to hold the thing in place you will have to have a point against something solid.

I'll do some drawings in the morning. The model you show will work but its even. You do not want that with heavy weight. You want more on the bottom then the top.

Matt

Comment

Aluminum will not have effect as long as you do not run the face of magnet perpendicular to the aluminum.

Your not going to be able use magnetic force to hold the thing in place you will have to have a point against something solid.

I'll do some drawings in the morning. The model you show will work but its even. You do not want that with heavy weight. You want more on the bottom then the top.

Matt
                          Not totally sure on the aluminum bit...

Maybe better to use acetal or nylon.

If each magnets distance is adjustable then the magnetism can be adjusted so the strength is focused more on the bottom.

If the shaft is tapped and threaded both sides and a flat disk magnet fixed to each end then surely two opposing disk magnets each end will lock the shaft in total suspension?

Best regards,

Paul

Comment

Paul, Matt, Thanks for all your hard work on this. I wish you good luck.

Paul I now have a pay pal acc. and could help a little. Let me know how.

Gene

Comment

Originally posted by soundiceuk View Post
                              Not totally sure on the aluminum bit...

Maybe better to use acetal or nylon.

If each magnets distance is adjustable then the magnetism can be adjusted so the strength is focused more on the bottom.

If the shaft is tapped and threaded both sides and a flat disk magnet fixed to each end then surely two opposing disk magnets each end will lock the shaft in total suspension?

Best regards,

Paul
                              No because you will never get 2 even magnets. It also only works cause its pushing in one direction. If you try to center it the shaft will go one way or the other.
                              You'll have to have very small point touching something. Very small though. And you can lower any drag caused by using end magnets but they will not suspend totally.

Matt

Comment

I'm sure I've seen a video on YouTube and there was no friction. The axle was completely suspended. I just had no clue of the magnetic field arrangement at the time.

I'm going to have a look for it now.

Comment

Working...
                                X