Mechanical Magnetic Torque Amplifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 volt relay over gauging.

The Uxcell 12 volt spring press switch is not generating sufficient voltage through the contacts to trigger the 12 volt relay. I plan to try a mosfet next. I can't find specifications for the switch. The voltage through the contacts won't even light a 3 volt LED. It's measuring only around two or three tenths of a volt. The switch is obviously gauged to trigger a miniaturized semi-conductor, transistor or mosfet. This is a real operating cost savings advantage for the switch.

This is an adventure for me. I love fooling around with these kinds of components. The 12 volt relay would operate an industrial size oscillator. I was way off with this choice. Maybe I can find room for this large a switch later on. The 12 volt relay would need a mosfet to work it, but the mosfet alone will carry enough current to power the pulse coil, so the relays are on the shelf for now.
    Last edited by Allen Burgess; 05-17-2018, 04:45 PM.

Comment

• Uxcell "P" channel mosfet.

Thorough testing has proven that this Uxcell DPDT spring pressure switch was designed to operate with a "P" channel mosfet. The "P" channel mosfet closes the drain to source circuit when the gate voltage drops to zero. This switch generates the required negative voltage fine. All I have on hand are "N" channel mosfets, which require a higher gate voltage to close; So I need to mail order the correct "P" ones from Amazon. The project may be stalled up for a few weeks as a consequence.

I just ordered four IRF9540N's pictured above; They'll arrive by June the first. This configuration simply requires reversing the input and output to the opposite pins. The "P" channel mosfet improves efficiency by latching with zero gate input. Actually a bonus in the rough. Nothing in the sales literature for the switch even remotely hinted at this peculiarity. The "N" channel mosfet makes and breaks the circuit at the ground or source. The "P" channel makes and breaks the circuit at the power side or drain.

"If you're using a mosfet to switch a circuit, then you want to use a P-Channel mosfet if you're putting it between the positive voltage and the load, and an N-Channel if you are putting it between the load and ground".
      Last edited by Allen Burgess; 05-17-2018, 11:20 PM.

Comment

• DPDT momentary press spring switch secret revealed.

I finally have this stupid switch completely figured out. The two power pins don't do anything but illuminate the ring shaped LED around the button! I'll be dammed!

This is purely a mechanical switch that simply makes contact between the two outer pins when it's depressed and breaks them when released; While released it connects the two inner pins; These two outer pins disconnect when the button's released.

The power is useless to this switch. This switch is sold as a DPDT switch which is a falsehood and that's what threw me off. The manufacturer is defrauding the consumer. This is a DP"S"T switch. The two power pins are dead ends. No problem though, it will still work fine and will run the 12 volt relays too.

This switch would probably trigger a "P" channel mosfet from cessation of induction leakage, but that's not what it was designed to do. This is really just another piece of crap I got stuck with. This bit of legerdemain nearly drove me crazy; Oh well Ha, Ha , Ha, the jokes on me! Back to the drawing board.

This simple mechanical switch will wire up directly with no problem. We can add the relays if it over heats. The outer pins turn on when the button's pushed in. The pulse coil can simply be wired in series with the power source through these two outer electrodes, and the output channeled through the inner pins which are normally closed (On) the rest of the time. I'll do a video tomorrow to clear it up once and for all. Such is life. I feel like an idiot.

The tiny amount of inductive leakage from the LED would be enough to trigger a "Darlington pair of transistors" at the base, but that's for another day.
        Last edited by Allen Burgess; 05-18-2018, 03:30 AM.

Comment

• DPST reciprocating LED"s.

Here's a short video of the 4 pin spring pressure switch in action, illuminating a pair LED's in reciprocating fashion: This is all this puppy has to do to operate the oscillator and channel the output from the pulse coil to it's storage destination. The beauty of this switch is that it's normally latched closed for the duration of the upward and downward motion of the magnet piston, extending the output pulse time ratio :

https://youtu.be/rnnW4a2WzgI

Replacing the AA batteries with a 12 volt power source and the LED's with the 30 amp relays would reciprocally illuminate large banks of spot lights with sufficient power to the relays.
          Last edited by Allen Burgess; 05-18-2018, 10:32 PM.

Comment

• Cut conduit and switch wiring clips.

I'm in the "Diamond Lane" with this build now!

Last edited by Allen Burgess; 05-18-2018, 10:54 PM.

Comment

• Internal switch.

Here's what the actual internal switch looks like with all the useless crap removed; The pressure tension on the tiny button is only a mere fraction of what it is with the large button spring attached:

Last edited by Allen Burgess; 05-19-2018, 08:00 PM.

Comment

• Test report.

I tested this setup from early morning. Dozens of permutations. My conclusion after exhaustive experimentation is that it's best to eliminate the large button spring because the pressure can't be adjusted. That leaves magnet strength and coil power as the only parameters to achieve oscillation. I plan to modify the design to allow me to once again suspend the magnet piston from an over head elastic flywheel, with the stripped down internal switch below. This way I can adjust the spring tension.

The action from the button switch was clumsy and erratic. It has a sticking point at the top. Isolating the internal switch will streamline and improve the performance. More parts for the junk box. I may try and trellis the internal switch overhead.

Black Friday forestalled!
                Last edited by Allen Burgess; 05-19-2018, 11:39 PM.

Comment

• Internal switch wedged between stator with same pole facing up ceramics on each side.

Here's the pulse coil positioned on top:

Last edited by Allen Burgess; 05-19-2018, 11:36 PM.

Comment

• Video of Uxcell DPST internal switch working.

The outer button has a "camshaft lobe action" which causes it to stick at the top. The simple internal switch is just a regular "linear action" spring:

https://youtu.be/wIToIXwU5zg
                    Last edited by Allen Burgess; 05-20-2018, 02:02 PM.

Comment

• Inside the internal switch.

A DPDT switch would run power to the electrodes from the throw terminals. This would allow us to reverse the polarity of the connections, and reverse the Current direction. All this switch does is connect the upper pins in series then the lower pins in series: I have a better switch scheduled to arrive by mail very soon. This switch is really just a piece of SPDT crap.

"SPDT. A Single Pole Double Throw toggle switch connects a common terminal to one or the other of two terminals. It is always connected to one or the other. The two outside terminals are never connected by the switch".

Last edited by Allen Burgess; 05-20-2018, 02:55 PM.

Comment

• Electromagnet triggering SPDT switch with ceramic magnets.

The power pulse to the electro-magnet neutralizes the attraction of the ceramic magnets and allows the switch spring to release itself; Therefore the power would wire in series to the outside pins and the output to the center pins as the other design. The output would be timed with the closure of the overhead rocking ceramic magnets. I'll upload another video after it's wired for output and oscillating.

https://youtu.be/-jcGTfSJhis
                        Last edited by Allen Burgess; 05-20-2018, 06:30 PM.

Comment

• Oscillator motoring video.

Here's a video of the "Attraction Neutralization Oscillator" motoring with the SPDT switch for the first time. It's just a short run, but it's proof of concept. I plan to attach a paper hinge to the barbecue skewers so the trigger switch doesn't drift off the bumper nut; Then I'll be able to measure some output finally. Hope you enjoy it!

https://youtu.be/IN1F9EsM8vg

Comment

• First power in, power out measurements

I stabilized the oscillation and got everything hooked up and my first power comparisons are very strong. I'm uploading two additional videos right now; This is a tremendous success already. Preliminary measurements show I'm at around 50% pulse recovery. This is not BEMF but "Faraday Power".

Comment

• Stabilized Oscillation

Running steady:

https://youtu.be/ExeAJA99ZlM
                              Last edited by Allen Burgess; 05-21-2018, 01:04 AM.

Comment

• Pi/Po test results. Unity achieved!

I'm uploading the latest power measurement test video right now. This set up is running exactly at "Unity"!

Power in is exactly .45 watts and power measured out into a micro wave transformer through a full wave bridge rectifier is exactly .45 watts!

Power in measured .090 amps at 5 volts for .45 watts and power out .025 amps at 18 volts for .45 watts, with power building on the capacitor in excess of 13 volts. Quite an extraordinary accomplishment. The video will be up in a few hours. It's over five minutes long. This build turned out to be a tremendous success.

Comment

Working...
                                X