• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• residential electric, 12 volts from neutral to ground on receptacle

im getting 120v from hot to neutral
    hot to ground is 70v sometimes low as 55
    neutral to ground 12v

also my plug in outlet tester shows correct (two gold lights however the right gold light is blinking)

i appreciate the help

Digital voltmeter? Old house? 120 volts hot to neutral is about right but it sounds like you have a poor ground. Is you house ground rod in very dry ground? Connections on the ground solid and free of corrosion? check your incoming ground to the electric panel also -- be careful if you have to pull the panel cover. Neutral to ground should be 0 volts but sometimes a ghost voltage will appear which has essentially no current to it. You may want to get another copper plated 8 foot ground rod to install and parallel it onto the existing ground wire going the the main electric panel - may want to have an electrician do that.
    There is no important work, there are only a series of moments to demonstrate your mastery and impeccability. Quote from Almine

Comment

Originally posted by ewizard View Post
      Digital voltmeter? Old house? 120 volts hot to neutral is about right but it sounds like you have a poor ground. Is you house ground rod in very dry ground? Connections on the ground solid and free of corrosion? check your incoming ground to the electric panel also -- be careful if you have to pull the panel cover. Neutral to ground should be 0 volts but sometimes a ghost voltage will appear which has essentially no current to it. You may want to get another copper plated 8 foot ground rod to install and parallel it onto the existing ground wire going the the main electric panel - may want to have an electrician do that.
      yes a digital mm
      house is not old like 1972

i get these measurements on each of the 3 different receptacles in my dining room only

im going to check as many variables as i can, i find this vary strange since everything works ill tighten up some wires in the panel maybe

Comment

Working...
      X