Threading a rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Threading a rod

I need to thread a screw onto the end of a metal rod, on both ends, centered, to have a balanced shaft. Any help to center it? I need 1/4" thru 5/8". I do have a small drill press.
    Thanks, Dan

I have had to do this before when I had bar stock that was too long to fit in a lathe. I made a drill block (a guide)

Take a 1" to 1 1/2" thick piece of bar stock.

Cut it off to say... 2" long.

Make sure the its width is wider than your threaded rod.

Clamp up the 2" piece of bar stock perpendicular the the drill.

Using your drill press, drill through it with a drill bit that is the size you need for the threads you will tap in the threaded rod.

Do not move the 2" piece of bar stock. leave it clamped in place.

Change the bit to the size needed for the threaded rod. You will be tapping this new hole so the threaded rod will fit in it.

Only drill 1/2 way through. Just enough to use a bottom tap to get enough to thread this bar stock on to the end of the threaded rod.

Thread the bar stock on to the end of the threaded rod and use this as a drill guide to drill your hole in it.

Tap this hole and you should be good to go.

This setup should leave you with a perfectly centered hole.

I hope I have explained it well enough. If not... holler back.

Comment

I re-read your post.... if you are not trying to drill in a threaded rod, just a smooth one....

drill the second hole (the larger one) just large enough to provide for a good interference fit and hammer it on to the end of your rod.

the procedure is the same otherwise.

Comment

Rodded thread

Hey Tuxair,
        Thank-you very much. Very easy to understand, as all simple solutions are.
        Dan

Comment

Working...
        X