Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removing resistor from spark plug

Hello everyone

Has anyone here been successful with removing the resistor in a spark plug, without snapping the steel core running inside the spark plug?

One person on YouTube has shown how he removed the resistor from the spark plug. I presume it likely for water engine / Attempting to replicate s1r's water running engine.

I tried to do the same on two different Japanese brand plugs, but both snapped. The first one was heated about the same time as i saw in the video. The 2nd attempt on plug two, i heated for a several minutes.

I am hopping to get some used plugs from the family mechanic, so as to try this out again, but also some clues on something else to try that might reduce the probability of snapping the core conductor piece.

Thanks

Originally posted by alsy View Post
    Hello everyone

Has anyone here been successful with removing the resistor in a spark plug, without snapping the steel core running inside the spark plug?

One person on YouTube has shown how he removed the resistor from the spark plug. I presume it likely for water engine / Attempting to replicate s1r's water running engine.

I tried to do the same on two different Japanese brand plugs, but both snapped. The first one was heated about the same time as i saw in the video. The 2nd attempt on plug two, i heated for a several minutes.

I am hopping to get some used plugs from the family mechanic, so as to try this out again, but also some clues on something else to try that might reduce the probability of snapping the core conductor piece.

Thanks
    Why not just go out and buy some non-resistor plugs and your problem will be solved.
    V

Comment

+1, I also tried to remove resistors from some spark plugs, they all broke.
      It's better to wear off by working than to rust by doing nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by vzon17 View Post
        Why not just go out and buy some non-resistor plugs and your problem will be solved.
        V
        for me the reason is that most non resistor plugs are not the same thread size and have a fatter body and would not fit on my own vehicle.

hell the only one i know that makes em anyways is champion, no champion plug will fit on my vw that I know of.

removing the resistor from a oem plug would be the best way to go about it.

Comment

Here is a Frankensteinish idea for where non resistor plugs are not available;
          I can not say at this time if it works, but may be worthy of consideration with the criteria bellow.;
          - Have the skill and access to appropriate brazing/ welding equipment for such a delicate operation
          - intending to build or have built a welding torch from a HHO cell

The operation involves getting two sets of spark plugs.
          1. Plugs that fit the vehicle intended to have non resistor plugs used.
          2. Non resistor plugs of dimensions being as close to the original plugs of the intended vehicle.

Now comes the operation, which is based on finding and using suitably dimensioned parts, so that when the thread from one body is swapped onto the other, it can fit over the ceramic of the plug, so as one can weld/ braze/ fuse the new hybrid into existence.

Removing the threaded body from the main body involves placing in a vice. Hack sawing. Spinning the plug a little each time, and cutting at the point where the thread joins the main body of the plug. Continuing the process, until complete.

The idea came to me after i removed the threaded section from the main body of the plug using a hack saw. Looking at this threaded body separated from the main plug, i recalled an intention for a future project for making a HHO torch. I have seen a few YouTuber's make them, and they seem quite simple. Apparently they do need a good flash back arestor. One fellow used a cigarette butt as a flashback arestor, but it burnt within a half minute. He was incredibly blase about it, which i think is a bit careless, and have seen at least one other HHO experiementer with the same attitude after plastic bits exploded. I would like to stress what i believe needs to be researched carefuly and and the application or making to be done with equal care and consideration.
          Some people suggest using a water bubbler as an arrestor. I have seen a good DIY arrestor using heavily packed brass (i think) wool, and stainless mesh. Personally i like the idea of using both at the same time.

Would want to make sure the weld is good enough to hold and stays out of the cyclinder while engine's pistons are moving.

One last common sense point, is in regards the final length of the plug needs to be such that it does not get slammed by the piston during engine operation. Comparing the OEM plug to the new creation, is one way of determining this.

Comment

Working...
          X