Wimshurst machine...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wimshurst machine...

Just got one and thought someone else might be interested because this one came cheap $39.95 + s/h (basically 1/2 the price it's elsewhere and no I don't work for the company selling them I just found it cheapest there. )

Wimshurst Machine Electrostatic Induction Generator

It could be used as an electrostatic source of HV, it even has terminals to connect to. Otherwise you can just keep spinning the wheel and enjoy the light show, observing the discharge.

Are the ravings of a lunatic signs of a genius?

Originally posted by amigo View Post
    Just got one and thought someone else might be interested because this one came cheap $39.95 + s/h (basically 1/2 the price it's elsewhere and no I don't work for the company selling them I just found it cheapest there. )

Wimshurst Machine Electrostatic Induction Generator

It could be used as an electrostatic source of HV, it even has terminals to connect to. Otherwise you can just keep spinning the wheel and enjoy the light show, observing the discharge.

would it be a crazy leap to stick on some magnets with a coil and pulse this thing around?

Comment

it is just awesome, hook it to a tiny dc motor?

Comment

could possibly build a testatika around that

does anyone know if that has been successfully replicated? from what I have read it combines a wimshurst with gray's conversion tubes
        "Theory guides. Experiment decides."

“I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything.”
        Nikola Tesla

Comment

Yeah!

Amigo you rock!
          I've been looking for a cheap one, not much money around these parts lately.
          I seemed to only find these for around $100-$150 on the internet.
          This has actually been a project on the back burner for a while for me.
          This is an interesting link that got me thinking about some of Peter Lindemanns stuff.
          Spark Gap Experiments
          Peter, if you read this, excellent book the 'free energy secrets of cold electricity'. I've been meaning to throw up a post to thank you for sharing the information. I had finally come up with a few dollars so I got it, and it was well worth it. It spared everyone on this list a slew of stupid questions I had about the Tesla type discharges.. lol And it really explains a lot about what is going on in many of these devices out today.
          So yeah, anyway, I think I might order myself one of those, and give this experiment a go.
          If anyone else jumps on this, please remember to post, I'm interested..
          Thanks again Amigo..

Marcel

Comment

This is a really neat device, and it does work just as advertised. Get extra replacement belts just in case, they are only a few dollars but might be worth it, I got two sets...

With it you can get discharges probably about 3 inches or so, perhaps 4, which means those Leyden Jars pack a mean punch even though they look cheapish.

If you plan to wind it up as much as I do, get a fan or put it near an open window - this starts ozonating the air pretty fast.

It is cool watching the tiny discharges when the gap is made very short so the spark is almost constant (with powerful winding).

Makes you feel like you are back in the 19th Century studying the electricity. (LOL actually we are still in the 19th Century because we still don't know what electricity is)
            Are the ravings of a lunatic signs of a genius?

Comment

Originally posted by amigo View Post
              Makes you feel like you are back in the 19th Century studying the electricity. (LOL actually we are still in the 19th Century because we still don't know what electricity is)
              The more I study it the more I'm convinced that it's aptly named the Trick of the Elect.

Comment

A High Speed Influence Machine is frictionless.
                Would it be Insanity to hook this up to a Tesla turbine ?

A Tesla turbine generally has low torque, so running a frictionless
                influence machine would be perfect .. running 15/20 thousand rpm?
                A low pressure flash boiler could run the turbine.

William S. Spencer Patent 1415779 (May 1922)
                electrostatic generator produces alternating current.

Van de Graaff patent 3,323,069 May 30 1967
                High voltage electromagnetic charged particle accelerator
                apparatus having an insulating magnetic core
                and Van de Graaff patent 3,187,208 (June 1 1965)

Patents obtained from Electret Q&A - 02/07/01

just thinking
                randy

Also see powerful electrostatic motors here: The PFT Motor mk2 - by JL Naudin
                Last edited by Vortex; 11-29-2009, 10:07 PM. Reason: added electrostatic motors
                Remember to be kind to your mind ...
                Tesla quoting Buddha: "Ignorance is the greatest evil in the world."

Comment

Working...
                X