Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting a freezer into an overunity heater

Hi guys,

i've managed to salvage a heavy duty freezer that was being scrapped (nothing wrong with the pump/plumbing, just the casing) and with winter drawing near I thought why not convert it into a heater.

Does anyone know where I might be able to find the information I need to acomplish this?

If not, I'll just make it up as I go along should be simple enough, but I'm a little worried about whether it can withstand the higher temperatures.
    "Theory guides. Experiment decides."

“I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything.”
    Nikola Tesla

Originally posted by Sephiroth View Post
    Hi guys,

i've managed to salvage a heavy duty freezer that was being scrapped (nothing wrong with the pump/plumbing, just the casing) and with winter drawing near I thought why not convert it into a heater.

Does anyone know where I might be able to find the information I need to acomplish this?

If not, I'll just make it up as I go along should be simple enough, but I'm a little worried about whether it can withstand the higher temperatures.
    An electrition I met related an incident where he replaced ... I think he said a plug on an old fridge.... Anyway, He completed the job and later received a phone call from the client to say that the fridge was now hot on the inside and cold outside.
    He mentioned that he never knew "changing the wires the other way around" would have that effect. He changed the wires back to the original order and all was well.

have fun!
    Last edited by CitizenDC; 09-09-2008, 04:25 PM. Reason: spaling
    “If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
    I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.” ~ Nicola Tesla

Comment

lol... that is good to know that means either side of the pump can probably handle the pressure...

We'll see what happens!

“I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything.”
      Nikola Tesla

Comment

Originally posted by Sephiroth View Post
        lol... that is good to know that means either side of the pump can probably handle the pressure...

We'll see what happens!
        thats a big probably.

I know an antiquengineer that has a junk farm with fridges, air conditioners, all sorts of appliance and contrivance through the ages.

The fridge has a high and a low pressure side. The low pressure side is the inside of the fridge, and high on the back outside. Reversing the wires is not what you want to do, because the inside is designed to be only a few pounds above atmosphere, wheras the outside is like 90psi above. Alll you must do is utilise the heat output by the back of the fridge, otherwise pressurizing the inside, especially on aluminum coil fridges, causes the aluminum to electroplate away, then you lose your freon, and you're screwed...
        "If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called Research."

-A. Einstein

Comment

lol... yeah, I wasn't intending on reversing the pump... I just meant that it can probably withstand a higher pressure than I originally thought...

Nikola Tesla

Comment

I heard some where that some one was using this technology to drive a Tesla turbine close loop(using the gas), cant find the info any where DOH

Comment

Working...
            X