DIY DC Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY DC Motor

I'm building a large motor from scratch. This motor will be improved upon, in developing a large permament magnet motor for use in EVs (Electric Vehicle). Most motors being used today to power a EVs are Power consuming series wound DC Motors. That can use upwards of 120V DC @ 500 to 1000 amps. This much power consumption hampers the vehicles range of miles per charge. Large Neo Magnets can produce the fields that these power consuming hogs produce with a fraction of the power consumed. You can view my test motor at.

DIY DC Motor (DIY DC Motor)
    Comments and suggestions are welcome
    Last edited by Beshires1; 01-14-2009, 04:44 PM.

Updates have been added on Saturday October 4, 2008. I've added a Magnets page, with useful information and photos of my revised Neo-Magnet field setup.

Comment

That is great work that you have done
      Thank you for sharing.
      It's better to wear off by working than to rust by doing nothing.

Comment

Updates were added Sunday October 5, 2008. Go to the "Neodymium Magnets" page. I added a amazing video you must see.

Comment

Originally posted by Beshires1 View Post
          Updates were added Sunday October 5, 2008. Go to the "Neodymium Magnets" page. I added a amazing video you must see.
          Well done!
          “If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
          I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.” ~ Nicola Tesla

Comment

I've been told that sticking backing iron on my field magnet array (Neodymium Magnets)will increase torque and efficiency. Is this true?

Comment

Originally posted by Beshires1 View Post
              I've been told that sticking backing iron on my field magnet array (Neodymium Magnets)will increase torque and efficiency. Is this true?
              That's what I've heard. It tends to concentrate the flux towards the unshaded pole.
              Nice work on your motor. I like the way you made your commutator. I've built a few myself and I like your method much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Ewert View Post
                That's what I've heard. It tends to concentrate the flux towards the unshaded pole.
                Nice work on your motor. I like the way you made your commutator. I've built a few myself and I like your method much better.
                Thanks. If you make the commutator like I did . Use Goop Glue To fill the coupling. But do not fill the segment gaps with epoxy! The Commutator naturally will heat when running, and the copper needs the gaps for expansion. The epoxy filled gaps will deform into a octagonal form, causing the brushes to hop at high RPM.(When it cools it will resume the round shape again)

Comment

Very nice motor experiments!

Hello!

It is great seing some one else trying to actually construct their own electric motor design. Good work!

I have made a coupple of motor designs too.
                  Please have a look at "endless sphere" forum, under e-bike technical you will find "DIY electric motor". I have posted some pictures and info regarding my latest version; aircore watercooled brushless DIY motor.

/Axel
                  Attached Files

Comment

The videos on the site dont seem to work

But from the pictures ive seen it looks pretty cool. I dont know if you have run tests yet but i cant wait to see the results! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Updates have been added New page 3 coil rotor conversion "See 3 Coil Armature". Thursday 16, 2008

Comment

Updated have been added Saturday, October 18 2008. Added new updated video "DC Motor 7". Its on a new page added called " Video Page" The update shows the running of "the Beast" after installing new magnet array, and doing some balancing on the rotor. Check it out!

Comment

I think what you've done here is pretty neat. All be it a regular dc motor, just the fact that you have been able to document the construction and putnit there is real great too. Outside of some patent stuff there isn't much out there on construction of a motor, that I have been able to find.

When the monery gets going again I would like to try one of these. If it was successful I would mount it in one of these pvc carts:

build your own four wheel bike or pedal car, plans and kits

I think the whole project would be great experience.

Keep it up!

Cheers
                          Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Jones View Post
                            I think what you've done here is pretty neat. All be it a regular dc motor, just the fact that you have been able to document the construction and putnit there is real great too. Outside of some patent stuff there isn't much out there on construction of a motor, that I have been able to find.

When the monery gets going again I would like to try one of these. If it was successful I would mount it in one of these pvc carts:

build your own four wheel bike or pedal car, plans and kits

I think the whole project would be great experience.

Keep it up!

Cheers
                            Matt
                            Thanks. If you build one of these motors may I suggest in the rotor coil construction. Try to get the coils as close to perfect as possible. If I Build another I will construct a form to cast the coils in that will ensure that they are the same weight, and all will have the same amount of material cast on top of them. getting the outer contour to be perfectly round is the challenge to be made. And if the tops have at least 1/4 inch of material on them , I would then drill and mount the coils (after the core material hardens), then while running the motor use a file and like a lathe remove the material until it is perfectly round.This will insure you of getting the closest air gap between the rotor coils and the field magnets as possible. Rember when the money gets right to work thoughtfully and precisely.

Comment

one thing you could do, and I don't what size pipe your using, but say 4 ". You could make the cast using the inside if a 6" pipe for the bottom of the cast (Outside of the coils) then add 4 inch to the top (Inside of coils).
                              That might aid in the casting.

But I am pretty sure no matter what you do your most likely would need a means to balance the thing after you build it. Like an old bubble balancer. Most every kind of machine rotor, drum, shaft has to be balance after its built. Unless its very stable and solid material its bound to have inconsistancy in the material.

Cheers
                              Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X