No announcement yet.

Pulse Generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A quick update, without the ignition coil i can fill up a 10,000uf 100v cap in about 5 seconds at 150ma draw. Will the ignition coil make much difference or is that just for cfl purposes? I dont understand how the ignition coil can make a difference if only its primarys are connected. Im gonna try it anyway

Comment

Originally posted by voodoo_chicken View Post
      A quick update, without the ignition coil i can fill up a 10,000uf 100v cap in about 5 seconds at 150ma draw. Will the ignition coil make much difference or is that just for cfl purposes? I dont understand how the ignition coil can make a difference if only its primarys are connected. Im gonna try it anyway

That was more for the CFL.
      You should get a better charge rate without it.

You could allso hook it up like another coil,just take that diode out between the collector and the ignition coil.
      That way you get big light and more power out but it'll cost you more in amp draw.

Comment

Thanks Slayer, ill be back soon with results and maybe a video if all goes well. The more people hear about this stuff, the better

Comment

@ voodoo_chicken:
          Very interesting, would that also make the transistor obsolete? Which is where some energy gets lost in the circuit as it is until now.
          So you are just feeding the supply battery into your special coil setup and it will self-oscillate, if i understand that right?

Comment

@Xenomorph, i should explain myself a bit better, Think of the trifilar coil as a bifilar with an extra coil.. the bifilar part is the bedini ssg circuit with no mods so unfortunately the tranny is still there. Im just feeding the output of the bedini circuit in to the third coil like slayer has shown us and yes it does boost voltage and drop input considerably. I also noticed the oscilator speeding up as the cap filled up. Once i have finished testing, ill put a diagram up if its worth while. I still think the reed switch may be better. I am not sure if the trigger winding is intefering with the other two windings during the collapse of the field(off time). I am toying with the idea of passing the output to the low side of the ignition coil then from there in to the hv side and back out to the cap, its similar to what is already happening on the bifilar coil..

*EDIT*

Forgot to mention, you need a high resistance on the trigger coil. I have a 1k fixed resistor and 1k variable in series. The pot tunes the speed of oscillation but i believe the faster you go with this, the less juice you use and the less output you get because the primary pulses get weaker.
            Last edited by voodoo_chicken; 02-05-2009, 07:07 PM.

Comment

I'm having a strange effect with my pulse generator.

I replaced the 1k resistor with a relay coil and placed a rectifier on both sides of relay coil to pick up the back spike from the coil.

I'm not realy sure if its the power its putting out in the air thats messing with my gauges or it's some thing else.

But as soon as I use my meter to read the rectified voltage the amp intake goes backwards.

It is a strange effect I'll have to look it more.

Here is a video of it.

YouTube - Pulse Generator With Relay Coil For Resistor

Comment

Hi Slayer,

It is possible your circuit becomes an unwanted oscillator when you replace the 1kOhm with the relay coil. Try to shunt your battery with some hundred nanoFarad capacitor (not electrolytic) and also with some hundred microFarad capacitor (electrolytic) to see if those oscillations are gone (watch the current meter).
                Also, try to place the relay coil away from the rest of the circuit with a bit longer wires to find if its closeness influences the oscillations or not. An oscilloscope would surely help to see those oscillations.
                Also, if the relay coil is in a transistor collector, then try to to touch its base and emitter simultaneously with your slightly wet finger to see if current consumption reduces.

rgds, Gyula

Comment

I let it run for about an hour then checked the voltage on the battery.
                  It didn't go up but it didn't go down eather.

I think it was just putting a lot of power in the air that messed with my meters.

Comment

Yes, it is a possible explanation. In this case, to make sure, you may try placing away the relay coil to more remote positions from the rest of the circuits. If the AC voltage was a few Volts peak-to-to peak across the 1kOhm, then now this voltage probably gets higher due to the inductance (coil) effect, hence the EM field also increases nearby.

Gyula

Comment

• @Slayer007:
                      Maybe shielding it with thin metal sheets helps, if you can`t create enough distance? (if a field-related influence was the cause for this at all)

Comment

• What about using some cap slayer to see if you are getting voltage or not!

Comment

• I did notice using the coil inplace of the resistor I can light a 90v neon off the reedswitch.

I think thats why my meters were going crazy the reedswitch was pumping energy in the air like an ingnition coil.

It also helped to bring the BEMF voltage up quite a bit.

I also tried this with my Joule Theif in place of the 1k resistor.
                          It worked very well I attached a rectifier on both sides of the coil then ran that back to the source battery.

It helped bring the amp intake down quite a bit and also made the light a lot brighter at the same time.

Comment

Working...
                          X