Best energy producer...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best energy producer...

Pondering some alternative heating choices around the home. With the onset of cold weather wondering where to get the most bang for my bucks in heat production...

*Oil heat? No thank you!
    *Natural Gas it is reasonable but with all the hype about running vehicles on it. I'm thinking it going to go up dramatically soon.
    *Electric is clean and easy and currently looks like a pretty good deal in turms of therms for $$.
    *Coal and Coke are too messy but available and not bad from what I see.
    *Wood is a lot of work but of course is still a good deal if you dont mind hauling and cutting.

Has anyone got a metric for calculating the ever sliding scale of energy economics.

I am thinking of having several concur ant systems in place and running whatever is best at a time...
    "But ye shall receive power..."
    Acts 1:8

The answer for technology at hand is "Heatpump".

And the water source heatpump would be the most efficient, if you have the water source available.

Von

Comment

Agree with Von. Have a look at the " Heat Pump water heaters ".
      If you get real good with these things - you could provide more energy than
      you will ever need for Low cost [ you do have maintenance ].
      Glenn.

Comment

Ever use this...Heat Pump Water Heater?

BuildingGreen.com - EBN: 17:7 - An Affordable Heat-Pump Water-Heater Retrofit

This link looked good. Anyone ever use this type of heat pump water heater?

Thanks for the great idea Von

Comment

Originally posted by wpage View Post
          BuildingGreen.com - EBN: 17:7 - An Affordable Heat-Pump Water-Heater Retrofit

This link looked good. Anyone ever use this type of heat pump water heater?

Thanks for the great idea Von
          Interesting device, first time I've seen one. But since I'm a professional at hvac, I just posted it in the hvac forum to see if anyone else has.

Btw if anyone uses a central airconditioning unit, one can use their a/c unit to heat water in the summertime, its called a desuperheater. Its free water heat while unit is operating. And it actually does the same as the unit in link.

I also been thinking about trying to see if a mag tube, which are used in our common microwave oven, could heat a water tank.

Von

Comment

Reply to W Page:

Originally posted by wpage View Post
            Pondering some alternative heating choices around the home. With the onset of cold weather wondering where to get the most bang for my bucks in heat production...

I am thinking of having several concurant systems in place and running whatever is best at a time...
            Hi W,

I would tend to agree with you in your thinking that a combination of two or more systems may be the best answer, depending on what sources are available and affordable to you.

I assume that you may already have ventured into the Friction Boiler thread. If not, I think you will find that a very interesting alternative heating solution. It uses wood, but does not burn the wood. One cord of hardwood is said to be capable of supplying heat and hot water for 5 years by this method.

Another very interesting idea is magnetic heaters. I remember reading that Dr Lindemann recognized these devices as being 10 times more efficient than standard heating methods. One such device was designed by Troy Reed, and the patent application can be viewed at:
            Magnetic heater apparatus and method - Google Patents

Best regards,

Rick
            "Seek wisdom by keeping an open mind to alternative realities, questioning authority, and searching for truth. Only then, when you see or hear something that has 'the ring of truth' to it, will it be as if a veil has been lifted, and suddenly you will begin to hear and see far more clearly than ever before." - Rickoff

Comment

Good info Rick and Von!

Hey Von and Rick,
              Great information. There is alot out there and certainly new stuff like the patent magnetic device Rick showed which is like star wars to me

Von's direction is more like what appeals to me. It could have a wind mill driving it but even if its redundant reliability is important with heat. Stoking a stove at 2am is one thing but meltdowns are something else

The idea of capturing wasted heat off the water heater in winter and useing the ac unit for hot water in summer attracts interests. Practical applications and viable solutions to these items we have in our homes now is worth brain storming.

Comment

To get free heat during the day, check out Mother Earth News Solar heat grabber. Simple to build and place on south facing windows. They could help reinforce other heat systems during the winter. Any heat that is free is money/resources saved. With a fresnel lens, some serious heat could be obtained.
                Last edited by Stealth; 11-25-2008, 12:11 AM. Reason: added a line

Comment

Solar plan 10 + 5 shipping

Thanks for that $15.00 for the plan sounds pretty good for solar plans...

may try it

Comment

Alternate approach to heating

Below is a course outline from chris ives at ERIA EcoSystems - Environmental Resourcefulness in Action

POWER DOWN course at John Abbott College Feb-Mar 2009

TAKE CHARGE OF YOUR HOME ENERGY-WATER USAGE AND IMPROVE THE HEALTH OF YOUR ENVIRONMENT

Who should attend:

Ordinary non-technical folk who want to learn how to “Power Down”, decrease energy and water bills, and improve the health of their home environments.

What you will learn:

• How to determine how much energy you are using & where you could cut
                    • Easy ways to decrease your home energy/water consumption and save
                    • How to keep winter heat in and summer heat out
                    • Make your home healthier and more comfortable – CMHC’s Clean Air Guide
                    • Improve your home’s renewable energy performance – The Top 10 Points
                    • Look at alternative energy sources that you can easily bring into your home
                    • Practical tips and tools

Chris Ives was a housing researcher from 1989-2007 with CMHC (Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation) and managed several “Healthy Housing” demonstrations. He is now the president of ERIA ECOSYSTEMS which is a renewable energy, project-management, innovation and consulting company located in Hudson.

Duration: 15 hours
                    Feb 21, 28, March 1, 7 and 14
                    9:30 am to 12:30 pm
                    Cost $125/per participant

Comment

Working...
                    X