Gray Tube Replication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark,

I am not exactly sure and I am not proficient in this field. My expertise is in another field and this is just a hobby. More like an addiction.

The one other thing I noticed about grays commutator design is that it is very similar to Tesla's designs. Tesla designed a commutator with mica adjacent to the contact plates. Grays design appears to be similar in that regard. I believe there was some mention of oil in the commutator which may also aid in the abrupt shutoff

Can you think of any other ways of achieving the abrupt shutoff

Nat

Comment

• FFF Exploration Circuits

Dear Nat,

I don't think the transitions in this technology are all that fast when compared to modern high speed electronics.

I suspect that Marvin Cole started with an oscillation spark gap of some sort and that worked well up to a point. When Mr. Hackenberger finally figured out the technology he was able to design a power supply using slow transistors to eliminate the spark gaps. The square wave transitions are indeed fast but not super fast. As it is the original "Vibrators" operated at 100 Hz. The operation of the 2nd Generation Black Box electrostatic generator was 8 kHz. This was probably what was being applied to the "electrostatic" part of the system. There are construction details seen on the "Blue Engine" power supply where extra attention was placed on improving the shut off speed of the main parallel switching transistors. This was achieved by means of a push-pull gate driver circuit that required a negative bias voltage.

If my thoughts are correct then the oscillation spark gap or switching transistor is not the source of the anomalous energy. The action is probably taking place in the dielectric of the FFF. The sharp HV square waves are just what is required for the proper excitation. A static 90 degree magnetic field also seems to be required.

This means there is a lot we don't know about the FFF. The first thing is what kind of dielectric was being used? Polyethylene, Teflon, Delrin, Nylon, Styrene, who knows? The RG-6 is just a starting point. The next step is the removal of the shield and get something closer to what Dr. Tesla had with his Guta Percha covered wire.

Dr. Tesla constantly refers to his oscillator circuits as having two sections. The Local section includes all of the components on the primary side and the primary. The "Working" circuit is all of the components on the secondary side including the secondary. So, if we believe that the master was working with a non-classical energy in these circuits then the transition takes place between the primary and the secondary, or very close to it.

I know a lot of work has been done with various kinds of Tesla coils, however the impact of the dielectrics that Dr. Tesla used has been completely overlooked. This is where your observation of the employment of mica and liquid dielectrics comes into play.

Once Mr. Hackenberger got the production of the non-classical energy figured out and improved upon the next step was to control its release into the system of opposing electromagnet and PM magnets in the rotary device. Apparently the employment of Thyratrons/ Ignitrons finally worked well enough for this application. It remains to be seen if a large SCR can take the place of the Ignitron. I hope so, since they are much cheaper on the surplus market. But who knows what the impact of this non-classical energy will be on a PN junction. I'm not above using Ignitrons if that is what works. Mechanically operated vacuum interrupters might be an alternative but that is getting pretty $$$$

It appears that originally Mr. Cole used mechanical commentator switching to discharge the storage capacitors - at least that is what is disclosed in the patent documents. A separate switching chamber was used for this. Then there was the short lived use of the CEST. Richard then went back to direct mechanical switching in April of 1976. By 1979 direct mechanical switching was replaced with the Ignitrons. So, it appears that this technology has seen a lot of shifts. That is what makes it so hard to follow the technical progress from one photograph to the next.

For my initial tests I'm going to use the mechanical contactor. It appears this approach works for slow speed applications. - Just like Gray's open blade knife switch. Once I can fill the capacitor with anomalous energy then I shall look for some means to release it.

Side note: In examining the circuitry of the "Gold Pulse Motor" and the design of the commentator one will notice the 12 each small 1/4" round contacts. It appears that this was a means where the main storage capacitors were pre-charged in a series of 4 steps before the main discharge took place. I have no idea why this was done. It doesn't make any classical engineering sense. It must have something to do with the properties of the "Cold Electricity"

Mark McKay

Comment

• Mark,

If we assume you are correct then it must be the mercury in the ignitron performing some special function. On researching this apparently it can release low level ultraviolet light. I believe I purchased some Russian mercury thyratrons so I might test them out. I haven't been successful in getting them to work. Doesn't help being a novice in this field. If this is the case then it would explain why none of us has been very successful in replicating

Grays circuit does work but not very well without the right components.

Nat

Comment

• In reading up on some very old books I may be able to answer your question about the round contacts in the commutator. I came across a book about the different type of discharges. It was talking about disruptive discharges requiring rounded points on spark gaps perhaps this also applies to the commutator

This makes sense to me. Might have to try that.nice observation

Comment

• Basic E.V. Gray Systems Theory (Speculated)

Dear Nat,

The part of the circuit I'm working on is what I suspect was contained in the non-rotary Electrostatic Generator. This device had an impressive output at a COP of about 4.0. Which would make me jump for joy if I could achieve just half that.

But then there is the second stage process that takes the energy gain from 4.0 to 275 in the rotary designs. This is what appears to happen in the rotating arcs, the CEST, or the Ignitrons. All of these are an arc process. I have no idea what goes on there, but I firmly believe that a certain amount of the non-classical energy has to be present in order for the 2nd stage process to take place.

In my study of the EMA4 Free Energy Engine there was a specific operating cycle that took place for 120 degrees of rotation that was dedicated to energy production. The remaining 240 degrees of rotation was devoted to the conversion of this energy into torque through magnetic attraction and repulsion.

This energy cycle involved the "Major" electromagnets being fired directly opposite each other. This is the only time that connections are made to the rotor. It appears to me that a direct arc was struck between the cores of these electromagnets. This approach seems to have been abandoned when it was determined that this 2nd power process didn't have to take place in the engine. So, the EMA6 design moved the 2nd stage arc to the CEST devices - which didn't work as well. Later, Hackenberger made a new commutator and once again struck his 2nd process arcs in that device. I doubt that was going to work for long since the one photo we have that shows this system operating displays enough arc flame to erode the contact surfaces in a few hours.

The last Free Energy ever made was the "Blue Engine". It is the most compact model ever built and is triggered with Ignitrons. I would certainly like to know how Richard was able to get away from the dynamic or moving arc. The fixed distance arc in the CEST device failed - so how did the fixed arc in the Ignitron work better? Also in Richard's early engineering reports he talks about the importance of oxygen for the arc. Well, there certainly isn't any oxygen in an Ignitron so what happened to that argument? Perhaps he was wrong the first time around? I don't know. He must have come up with a work around solution. Maybe he was able to somehow modulate the arc in the Ignitron to simulate physical movement. Maybe he changed the timing or component parameters to eliminate the need for stretching. Whatever it was it appears to have greatly simplified the design of the Engine and hopefully increased its output.

He must have been pretty proud of himself in December 1979. Here he had constructed a system that was 30% the size of the original EMA4 and had only 20% of the parts. I assume at a similar power level.

Anyway, until we come up with some amount of the anomalous energy I think that exploration into the 2nd stage arc process is going to be futile. But I could be wrong so don't let me rain on you parade. I'm just presenting my working model so we can better compare notes.

I'm sure that a detailed study of various kinds of fixed and moving arc electrodes will be useful - Once we can create the initial "something" to run through them.

That "something" involves an electrostatic process that we haven't much of a clue about except some observations of the hardware employed.

Let me know if I'm beating a dead horse by going over these historical speculations time and time again.

Well, keep up the exploration.

Mark McKay

Comment

• Detail of the E-5 Pulse Motor Commutator

Dear Nat,

Concerning those 12 round contacts on the E-5 "White" Pulse Motor. Here is a recent clcose up photo of what I was refering to. There are 12 of the 0.250" brass contacts equally spaced around the inside of this commutator system. There are three of the rectangular copper contacts.

The brass contacts seem to pre-charge the main storage capacitor bank from a smaller bank. For this to work the voltage on the first bank has to be higher than the collected charge on the main bank. Perhaps this was done for isolation purposes - I don't know. However Ignitrons were employed to make this transfer.

The copper contacts are used to trigger the main power Ignitrons. This dumped the charge from the main storage capacitors through the opposing electromagnets.

Now, keep in mind that this is early technology from a Pulse Motor and not the technology that was used in the Free Energy Engines. However they are very similar.

Mark Mckay
              Attached Files

Comment

• Mark,

Thanks for the info on the commutator. Yesterday I started to build something similar to grays commutator but i will use the dielectrics that Tesla used - mica.

@everybody/all
                But now to let the cat & horse out. You will have to trust me when i say that the mercury in the ignitron is the missing component to producing this radiant energy. I found the original source of Tesla's design for his flat pancake copper strap coils and mercury was indeed used in the design. So this leads to my next question. What modern day switches contain mercury in them? The only ones i know of a thyratrons and ignitrons. Do you know of any others that i can test?

cheers
                Nat

Comment

• Mercury Contactors

Dear Nat,

Ken Hawkins was the man who gave me the 1986 Gray promotion video and lead Norm Wooten to Dodge City, KS to recover the E-4 and E-5 pulse motors in 2000. He claims that Gray used Mica in his capacitors and iron wire for the original engine electromagnets. I have no idea how he knew this, but since he had the location right for the equipment he must have had some exposure to this drama. I do know that Mr. Gray paid the high price for custom capacitors, which could have been required to get large values. I certainly keep these facts in mind and have a collection of transmitter mica capacitors, but nothing that approaches 5 uF let alone 12 uF.

For mercury switches; there are small commercial mercury pool contactors available in my local market for about $30. They take the place of mechanical contractors when a high in-rush current is expected. They have to be mounted in a vertical position and are operated by a coil that moves a contact in a sealed tube with mercury at the bottom. The advantage is that the contact surface is self cleaning. The down side is the slow repetition rate. I think you would be pushing it at 2 Hz. The current range of the ones I'm thinking of is around 30-40 amps at 240VAC 60 Hz. If your applied voltage was high enough they would probably work as arc tubes - but I don't know that for sure.

Could you share with us the source of your information about the Tesla technology that describes the use of these materials?

If a mercury pool eliminates the need for moving electrodes then I'm all for it.

Mark McKay

Comment

• Mark,

Please advise your email address. I will send to you tonight when i get home from work.

Thanks
                    Nat

Comment

• Mark McKay presenting at the Bedini-Lindemann 2012 Conference

Here is a direct link to Mark McKay's bio and presentation topic - he will be speaking at the Bedini-Lindemann 2012 Science & Technology Conference on the Ed Gray motor technologies.

http://www.energeticforum.com/conference/#mark

The rest of the conference information is on that same page.
                      Sincerely,
                      Aaron Murakami

Books & Videos https://emediapress.com
                      Conference http://energyscienceconference.com
                      RPX & MWO http://vril.io

Comment

• Contact Email

Originally posted by nat1971a View Post
                        Mark,

Please advise your email address. I will send to you tonight when i get home from work.

Thanks
                        Nat
                        Sure thing. My job email is mmckay@simplexgrinnell.com

Comment

• Mark,

Is that an aluminum ring on the commutator?. So we have brass & aluminum? and carbon brushes

Cheers
                          Nat

Comment

• "White" Pulse Motor (E-5) Commutator Details

Dear Nat,

Yep, not only one aluminum commutator ring but two (2) side by side. So there are two rotary switch systems combined into this device. However they do share the same wiper.

When Nelson Schlaft rewired this system he didn't need the 2nd common slip ring and removed the wires that were attached to it. So we have no idea as to what they were controlling. I would venture to say that one slip ring was associated with the 12 each round contacts intended to pre-charge the main storage capacitor. The other slip ring was part of the main discharge control system. Since two switching systems were involved two slip rings were needed. If isolation was an issue then by rights the wipers should have been separated as well, but they are not.

There are two more slip ring assemblies in these E series Pulse Motors. One is at the front of the motor just behind the commutator and another is at the back end of the motor. These slip ring assemblies are odd in their construction since the brush is on the rotor and the slip ring is fixed. In every other industrial motor I know of it is the other way around. This layout allows easy replacement of the contact brush. Why Mr. Cole did it this way is unknown to me. The only proposal I have heard is that this kind of arrangement works better for high voltage, but you have to completely remove the rotor shaft to get at the brushes, which would be a real pain once the engine was installed. IF this proposal is correct then the expected voltages were much higher than 5 kV. The 2500 HP DC motors used at our local aluminum rolling mill operate at 2675 DC and use the common brush to slip ring method just fine.

Aluminum is a poor choice for a slip ring surface - in my opinion. I have never seen it used in industry. Special alloys of brass are the preferred materials along with Beryllium copper - which seemed to have been used in the commutator contacts. Perhaps cost and availability were issues at the time.

These commutator systems hold a lot of hints. They point to the large number of state changes required in this technology to yield the huge COP's

Mark McKay

Comment

• mark,

l will build a commutator using the same metals and see if there is some special unknown feature - it wont be exactly the same but should provide some insight - i have been wondering whether the aluminum ring is important too. I suspect there must be as Gray's circuit has way to many features of Tesla's circuits.

Did you receive my email?

Cheers
                              Nat

Comment

• ok so hears a photo of my very rough and ready commutator. Interesting enough when i checked the resistance when engaged i got 30 ohms. Makes me wonder if the spark is getting choked somehow in the metallic lattice.

Still untested yet. I will be happy if i get a couple of test runs out of it before it stops working.

After building it i now realise the extreme precision that has gone into it.

cheers
                                N.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X