No announcement yet.

Gray Tube Replication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ghst, whatever you stumbled on, it is interesting for sure.

So you have ONE capacitor and ONE HV diode and you're getting green flashes?? No extra coils or capacitors or diodes?
    (EDIT: Correction, 2 capacitors were used in the experiment)

Battery
    Microwave Capacitor
    HV Diode

If we can get real power from this, anyone with a soldering iron and a spare microwave could make one.

Keep up the great work, and keep us informed on the results of every variable you try.

thanks
    Last edited by Reiyuki; 04-19-2009, 05:31 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reiyuki View Post
      Ghst
      YouTube - 1Ghsty14U's Channel
      Ghst seems to be getting good flashes using only 1 capacitor and a coil.
      - 1.6uf @ 1750AC cap (microwave cap)
      - #22 1-200 turn coil, 5ohm or less, for sure.
      - Ignition coil driver. Arcs look way higher than 1750, over 5kv is possible without arcing over a microwave gap.
      Reiyuki: This got me to thinking. I already found out that MW diodes are better than 2kV. In fact, they're actually rated for 12kV to 15kV. So I checked on the capacitors, and they're higher too. Here's a link which says they'll hold up to 10.5kV:

Microwave Oven Capacitors

I should be able to use these caps with my 7.5kV NST. They're only one uF, but I've gotten plasma effects with much smaller caps than that.

Comment

• Elektrotek:

1uf might not be an issue. Power level (in joules) seems to dictate the minimum for an effect, because of all the similar replications over the years going from 50v to over 100kv, yet all using at least 2 joule in input energy. Finding the exact number ma

Electronics 2000 | Capacitor Charge / Energy Calculator

Your 1uf cap at 2kv will give you 2 joules. At 7.5kv it will give you 28 joules. doubling the voltage results in a LOT more strain on a cap, but it might handle it, you never know.

Careful with the 7.5kv transformer too; it's often 7.5kv RMS which means you could get peak voltages 30% higher than 7.5kv. Very easy to smoke 2kv rated capacitors at 10kv.

With the 7.5kv, I'd put a safety gap in parallel and guestimate the spacing. That's the easiest way to put a 'voltage cap' on your device.

..God, I'm loving this project. Such a simple design with wide margins and a clear sign of success (radiant events).

Comment

• replicator and ancestor

Since I can't experiment, I've been digging a bit today. 2 'replicators' I'd like to share.

1980's German 'Pulse Discharge' experiment:
          This experiment involved discharging 2 capacitors through a coil and resistive load in order to produce interesting' effects. Sound a tad familiar?

http://www.future-workshop.com/tachionator.pdf

Notable quotes:
          "The energy beam, which spreads out in the experiment, was not a
          conventional version of ion propulsion. This was easily surmised by:
          the form and the color temperature of the spark in the spark cap
          chamber
          ..."
          "The energy beam spread out direction of the sparkgap channel is
          sufficient, at a distance of about 4m, to cause air to collapse
          between the experimenter and the pulse device
          "

-----

Tesla coil vs Gray CSET

I always found it odd how all of Tesla's 'high frequency high potential' patents used 2 capacitors in his circuits. It came to mind that this setup is quite similar to the CSET designs. This seem a bit familiar?
          File:EarlyTeslaCoil.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The patent now referred to as the Tesla Coil featured *2* capacitors of opposing potentials colliding with each other across a fast-break sparkgap. Shouldn't that make a small fraction of Tesla Coils overunity in some manner? Maybe not as most users 'tesla coils' look nothing like the patents.

I'll leave you all with this to look over in case it helps.
          Overunity.com talking about Tesla's Radiant Energy quotes

Comment

• Reiyuki, yes I'm using a inductor coil between "grid" and capacitor. I'm using the primary coil taken from a microwave oven transformer. The winding is probably 14 gauge, 100 turns. I figured that the less resistance would probably save burning out the fine wire coils. Its working great so far. also although I can get the effect from a single Cap, I parallel two microwave oven caps for a total capacitance of about 2.8 uF. One cap is 1.9 uF and one cap is .9 uF, the voltage is as high as the lowest voltage cap (I think). 1750 V.
            I can also get the effect, forcing caps to ground, by wiring a additional cap to the HV as shown in the Grey Patent. I'm basically trying to find what will create the optimum effect, then go in that direction. I'll draw a schema to show exactly how to produce the massive nailed effects and post later.
            Last edited by Ghst; 04-15-2009, 08:49 AM.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfjs6gM8M6Q
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNQvf...eature=related

Comment

• I like the way this thread is going guys.

I have been collecting some gear and taking notes. Ghst Im amazed at all the different effects you are finding, all from that ignition coil am I right? What sort of current or input are you pushing? Keep it up.
              Last edited by ren; 05-07-2009, 07:05 AM.
              "Once you've come to the conclusion that what what you know already is all you need to know, then you have a degree in disinterest." - John Dobson

Comment

• "Nailed"

This is how I am currently setup.
                http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/646/nailedschema.jpg
                Ren, I really don't have a clue. The automobile points, are breaking six times per revolution, of the small ac motor driver, (see earlier posts) and I'm using a dimmer switch to slow the motor from full speed.
                ImageShack® - ghst's Profile Page
                Last edited by Ghst; 04-16-2009, 04:22 AM.

Comment

• Looks like a good setup Ren. I ran into an interesting effect years ago in that it appeared as though there was as much energy available off the grid as there was from the original input into the Cset.

I also have a theory that the same ampere turns/identical coils under this type of discharge will give more magnetic force than a low voltage/higher current source driving the coil would. This may be one reason the Gray system worked as it did.

My idea was to use two opposing coils, 1000 turns of 20 to 30 gauge wire and run a high voltage capacitor discharge through it, the top coil would be restrained by a spring with a scale. Get a baseline for force produced by the high voltage coil, and then run the same test on a set of coils with the same ampere turns rating on low voltage capacitor discharge of the same Joules and see what the difference is. I bet you will see more force produced by the high voltage discharge. I don't think science has identified this anomaly yet, but I believe it is there.

Originally posted by ren View Post
                  I like the way this thread is going guys.

I have been collecting some gear and taking notes. Ghst Im amazed at all the different effects you are finding, all from that ignition coil am I right? What sort of current or input are you pushing? Keep it up.

Comment

• Originally posted by UncleFester View Post
                    Looks like a good setup Ren. I ran into an interesting effect years ago in that it appeared as though there was as much energy available off the grid as there was from the original input into the Cset.

I also have a theory that the same ampere turns/identical coils under this type of discharge will give more magnetic force than a low voltage/higher current source driving the coil would. This may be one reason the Gray system worked as it did.

My idea was to use two opposing coils, 1000 turns of 20 to 30 gauge wire and run a high voltage capacitor discharge through it, the top coil would be restrained by a spring with a scale. Get a baseline for force produced by the high voltage coil, and then run the same test on a set of coils with the same ampere turns rating on low voltage capacitor discharge of the same Joules and see what the difference is. I bet you will see more force produced by the high voltage discharge. I don't think science has identified this anomaly yet, but I believe it is there.
                    I think you're right that there will be more force with the HV, when both voltages pull the same Joules. Voltage equates to velocity so the HV Joules will be applied in a shorter time. In the patent, Gray states that the counter productive CEMF increases with time. If so, a faster pulse would produce less of this counter reactive force as the voltage in the coil rises.

Comment

• Alternating Sparks

Here's a new circuit I set up:

The Sign Transformer is center tapped, so the voltage is only 6kV. The 1uF MOC works fine at this level. The two inductors in series with the caps are from defibrillators, but the secondary windings of MOT's work almost as well. (The primary windings don't have enough copper to produce the puff sparks.) I'm using a single "hot stick" jumper wire connected to the middle inductor, switching back and forth between the top and bottom discharge electrodes. When I alternate the discharges at just the right speed, the larger cap charges up enough that a plasma spark will start appearing at both discharge points. After a while, the top cap fully charges, but this isn't noticeable - from the size of the effect - until it's discharged later. Once it's charged, I get a large puff spark at both discharge points if I use two jumpers at the same time.

I tried putting the inductor in front of the diode, as shown in Gray's first patent, but this arrangement doesn't produce the plasma effect. When it's in series with the capacitor, it produces a time constant, and this is what causes the effect. Changing the time constant of the transformer doesn't do anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by Electrotek View Post
                        I think you're right that there will be more force with the HV, when both voltages pull the same Joules. Voltage equates to velocity so the HV Joules will be applied in a shorter time. In the patent, Gray states that the counter productive CEMF increases with time. If so, a faster pulse would produce less of this counter reactive force as the voltage in the coil rises.
                        Thanks for the input, I will build a test setup and see what the difference is. I plan on building the motor after I build the Lindemann attraction motor. I already know the Gray tube works, so it's kinda pointless to play with it without the motor side.

My original experiments used a Marx generator to fire the Cset, worked very, very well.

Tad

Comment

• Tad: That's interesting about the Marx Generator. I know they'll work quite well at the appropriate frequency.

I'm thinking about getting a Smart Drive motor from a Fisher and Paykel washing machine. I hear they're around $50 on E-bay.

Comment

• Originally posted by Electrotek View Post
                            Tad: Here's a post on another thread which backs up Gray's statement about minimizing the CEMF with short pulses:

http://www.energeticforum.com/renewa...html#post52026

edit: message #137

Comment

• I didcovered something interesting. Today I connected another microwave oven cap between the Neutral grid and the battery ground. the rest of my circuit was left like it is shown in the nailed drawing. With no HV jumping to the grid, I was getting a voltage reading off the added grid cap of fluctuating 15 to 17 VDC. I think this is significant, since the battery charge reading is at 12.30 VDC. What this means is that I'm getting 15 to 17 VDC reading from a 12V battery's ground and a neutral grid with no visible sparking to the grid. The neutral grid has to be absorbing energy from the multiple spark gap and or discharge. I'm going to test this voltage to see if it is usable.

Comment

• Neutral Grid

I thought I should post a picture showing how I have the Neutral grid setup. Its just a regular tubular shaped grid with a large hole cut to allow no contact to the LV electrode which can be 12V positive or 12V ground its your choice. For the grid to be neutral it should not have sparking going to it at all.
                                http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/1426/neutralgrid.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X