meyers dual wound inductor question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• meyers dual wound inductor question.

i have tried winding my own with some success but am getting frustrated with the time it takes to make one. SO i have looked at buying some inductors from jaycar as used in audio crossovers, they dont have a dual wound one but have inductors from 1mh-9mh could i use 2 of these as a shortcut to get my system running nice and reliable. i'm somewhat a novice to circuits but have good support from a friend of mine who is a expert i just want to handle this part on my own, after all its the only way to learn. i was thinking of going straight to the 9mh inductors and working out my frequencys to suit.

Are you referring to the Australian Jaycar store? I know the Australian Jaycar store has their two highest value inductors with ferromagnetic cores. The lower value inductors are air cored. One idea that came to mind, is if the air cored inductors had a large enough hollow to fit on the ferromagnetic bar. That might get a bit costly. If you have a Dick Smith store near you that carries parts, it might be cheaper to buy the ferromagnetic bar from them, and buy the air cored coils from Jaycar. That is, if the ferromagnetic core is suitably sized to fit the air core inductors and wide enough to cover the width of both of them. It is all relative, but still a little costly in my eyes. It is a bit time consuming in that you need to find the dimensions and may be more practical to go into the store to see weather the idea is practical or not.

That is one idea, but i would really need to see a circuit. Can you provide a link to a schematic/ circuit that you have been contemplating.

Comment

i'm using the calculator on waterforfuel to get the resonant frequency for the circuit at this stage my system is similar but not exactly the same as the schematic on that site. i am still sizing the capacitors and inductors before trying it again i used motor start capacitors and some inductors i raided from a old stereo crossover it worked but not amazingly well.

Comment

Working...
      X