X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lessons learned the hard way

Ok is thier any other way to protect the transistor besides
    a neon light?
    My small neon does not safe guard my transistor is the lesson learned to night after 3 transistors being burnt out. I hooked up a charge battery on my last transistor to make sure the charge had a place to go and every thing was great...
    The light still lights up if you plug it in to the wall socket for ac. But never does light up on my larger fan motor.

ww

Have you run it without load? How many amp that goes to the transistor? I usually calculate it with:
    Transistor amp = input voltage / Coil resistance

Running radiant oscillator with low coil resistance without recovery part can toast transistor immediately, especially at high transistor gain. Maybe you need higher resistance for base to limit current.

Make sure the voltage between base to emittor or collector never exceed 7V, limit it with resistor. Also make sure the current never exceed 10 Amp for most switching transistor.

Comment

wwdotme

Originally posted by wwdotme View Post
      Ok is thier any other way to protect the transistor besides
      a neon light?
      My small neon does not safe guard my transistor is the lesson learned to night after 3 transistors being burnt out. I hooked up a charge battery on my last transistor to make sure the charge had a place to go and every thing was great...
      The light still lights up if you plug it in to the wall socket for ac. But never does light up on my larger fan motor.

ww
      try 2 neons in series ,works a treat,your meter will show small volts thru the base but the neons need 90v to glow,go figure, cheers bill

Comment

well I need to get this one up so I can get some actual readings.
        The last transistor was my fault clutttered work area accidently unhooked the charge batter and poof.
        2 neons will have to try that..
        add more resistance? not really sure where so will get it up and get some readings.
        was charging my drill battery pretty good I thought .o1 volt every 20-30 seconds.
        thanks guys your a great help!

Comment

Originally posted by tai61 View Post
          try 2 neons in series ,works a treat,your meter will show small volts thru the base but the neons need 90v to glow,go figure, cheers bill
          But if you put the neons in series then it will need 180v to conduct... that means 180v spikes hitting the transistor instead of 90v

ww - you could try a zener diode... perhaps around 30-40v? But I don't know how long a zener can survive the spikes either...
          "Theory guides. Experiment decides."

“I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything.”
          Nikola Tesla

Comment

Up and running again!!

couple readings after running for half hour

2-13-09
            input 10.73 steady
            output c to e 9.61 steady
            output c to b 10.52 steady
            input .9 amps
            charge to drill battery pack 9.37 climbing slowly
            .35 amps output
            counterclock wise rotation