Cockcroft-Walton generator, or multiplier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cockcroft-Walton generator, or multiplier

Cockcroft-Walton (CW) generator / multiplier produces a constant DC.

A simple two-stage CW multiplier

The CW is basically a voltage multiplier that converts AC or pulsing DC electrical power from a low voltage level to a higher DC voltage level. It is made up of a voltage multiplier ladder network of capacitors and diodes to generate high voltages. Unlike transformers, this method eliminates the requirement for the heavy core and the bulk of insulation/potting required. Using only capacitors and diodes, these voltage multipliers can step up relatively low voltages to extremely high values, while at the same time being far lighter and cheaper than transformers. The biggest advantage of such circuits is that the voltage across each stage of the cascade is equal to only twice the peak input voltage, so it has the advantage of requiring relatively low cost components and being easy to insulate. One can also tap the output from any stage, like a multitapped transformer.

Ref Link: Cockcroft-Walton generator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Lecture - 5 Voltage Multiplier I did not watch this video, just thought it could be helpful.
    300KV Cockroft Walton multiplier home made caps!

I did not find this discussed on the forum, so I
    thought it should be noted here as an alternative HV option.

Randy
    Remember to be kind to your mind ...
    Tesla quoting Buddha: "Ignorance is the greatest evil in the world."

The Down Side

Originally posted by Vortex View Post
    Cockcroft-Walton (CW) generator / multiplier produces a constant DC.

A simple two-stage CW multiplier

The CW is basically a voltage multiplier that converts AC or pulsing DC electrical power from a low voltage level to a higher DC voltage level. It is made up of a voltage multiplier ladder network of capacitors and diodes to generate high voltages. Unlike transformers, this method eliminates the requirement for the heavy core and the bulk of insulation/potting required. Using only capacitors and diodes, these voltage multipliers can step up relatively low voltages to extremely high values, while at the same time being far lighter and cheaper than transformers. The biggest advantage of such circuits is that the voltage across each stage of the cascade is equal to only twice the peak input voltage, so it has the advantage of requiring relatively low cost components and being easy to insulate. One can also tap the output from any stage, like a multitapped transformer.

Ref Link: Cockcroft-Walton generator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Lecture - 5 Voltage Multiplier I did not watch this video, just thought it could be helpful.
    300KV Cockroft Walton multiplier home made caps!

I did not find this discussed on the forum, so I
    thought it should be noted here as an alternative HV option.

Randy
    Hey Randy,

Yes, the standard voltage multiplier is easy and low cost, but it is not very efficient. If each diode has a voltage drop of .6 volts, and the caps have a little bit of dielectric leakage, it doesn't take too many stages to start losing a bunch of energy.

For low voltage step-up supplies, a simple DC-to-DC converter with a single inductor is much more efficient.

If over all efficiency isn't important, these circuits can be quick and easy. But if over all efficiency is important, then this type of circuit is never chosen

Peter
    Peter Lindemann, D.Sc.

Open System Thermodynamics Perpetual Motion Reality Electric Motor Secrets
    Battery Secrets Magnet Secrets Tesla's Radiant Energy Real Rain Making
    Bedini SG: The Complete Handbook Series Magnetic Energy Secrets

Comment

Working...
    X