Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best transformer book ?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if somebody could recommend a very good e-book on transformer theory. I was browsing this list of OLD books here:

A book written by an author who studied Tesla would be ideal I suppose, as it would probably be more "open minded" than the more recent academic works.

Thanks in advance,

Guy

Transformer books

You can get tons of them here just do a serach on it and lots of them will come up and you can download them for free.

Scribd

Comment

Thanks vzon, but I would rather choose among the older books available at the link I posted. The reason is that during the beginning of the century or so, the art of electricity was less structured than it is now, and more based on experimentation (rather than known rules and formulas).
      So, that's the kind of book I'm looking for.

Guy

Comment

If it's theory you are looking for you are in one of the best places right here. Many of these independant researchers have worked with a variety of transformers from air core to iron and ferrite cores. The frequency range it responds best to is largely dependant on the material. Magnetic cores tend to work better at lower frequencies because there is a frequency at which they can't magnetize fully before the current is reversed. On the other hand air cores perform exceptionally well at high frequencies because there is no core to magnetize. It all depends on the purpose you are looking for. It just so happens that the large joule thief thread is about nothing more than a pulsed dc toroid transformer with a simple transistor driver and two sources for charging batteries.

Comment

Try this one

Here is one from the site you suggested. I've downloaded it and am now reading it.

Link; Internet Archive: Details: Principles of Transformer Design

Thanks for the link.

Warren
          Men had been depending for too long on the authority of the great minds of the past and that they should rely more on their own resources in obtaining knowledge.
          Francis Bacon

Comment

Thanks redeagle,
            although I already have a good basis on transformers and electronics in general, I wanted to brush up on XFRs and also be able to do some design.

Also thanks for the heads up on the Joule thief thread, I had not gone through this one to see what it was all about. You saved me a lot of time.

@ mrbreau; I indeed saw this book, and many others at that site, but as I couldn't make up my mind, I decided to check here to see if anybody already went through those ones, and could recommend one in particular.

Cheers,

Guy

Comment

Working...
            X