Spikes from AC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spikes from AC

I'm looking for an easy way to produce spikes from AC.
    After some silly attempts I finally found one way.
    If anyone knows of a better way than below, please let me know.

YouTube - Spikes part 2

/Hob
    Attached Files
    Hob Nilre
    http://www.youtube.com/nilrehob

Thank you for this!

Comment

Oh, don't mention it, I'm sure there are other ways much simpler than this one
      Hob Nilre

Comment

Why do you have those three diodes in the EB circuit - are they supposed to provide a 3x0.7V drop?

From your scope shot it looks like that transistor(s) are not biased properly and so you have an overdrive occuring and cut-off of the signal. Have you tried using a trim in the EB circuit instead of diodes, for better biasing?

Also, I think since this is a darlington setup signal is amplified, but there's no signal inversion and that's why the spikes point down.

If this does not make sense, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, so please ignore it.
        Are the ravings of a lunatic signs of a genius?

Comment

If you make your own generator you can take a reed switch or commutate a connection to short the generator coil momentarily at it's highest voltage. When you short the coil it will magnetize then rapidly demagnetize giving you the same radiant spike that comes out of the bedini motors. remember though that if you are rectifying to dc you must short it on the coil side of the rectifier.

matt

Comment

Originally posted by amigo View Post
            Why do you have those three diodes in the EB circuit - are they supposed to provide a 3x0.7V drop?
            To tell you the truth, I don't know, I wanted them in another way first, but they just wound up there i guess

Originally posted by amigo View Post
            From your scope shot it looks like that transistor(s) are not biased properly and so you have an overdrive occuring and cut-off of the signal. Have you tried using a trim in the EB circuit instead of diodes, for better biasing?
            The scope is on the coil, that might explain it?
            I guess You're right, the diodes looks cool but a resistor is probably the way to go.

But on the other hand, with the diodes the circuit might work for any voltage?

I've stated it before, transistors are not my friends, yet.
            Hob Nilre

Comment

Originally posted by redeagle View Post
              If you make your own generator you can take a reed switch or commutate a connection to short the generator coil momentarily at it's highest voltage.
              I tend to fry reed's
              Besides, I'm looking for a simple non-mechanical solid-state-only way.
              Hob Nilre

Comment

If you make your own generator you can take a reed switch or commutate a connection to short the generator coil momentarily at it's highest voltage. When you short the coil it will magnetize then rapidly demagnetize giving you the same radiant spike that comes out of the bedini motors. remember though that if you are rectifying to dc you must short it on the coil side of the rectifier.

matt
                I tried it, although I didn't got it to work
                But I found another solution (if mechanics allowed): http://www.energeticforum.com/renewa...html#post55973
                Hob Nilre

Comment

Originally posted by nilrehob View Post
                  I tried it, although I didn't got it to work
                  But I found another solution (if mechanics allowed): http://www.energeticforum.com/renewa...html#post55973
                  Hmm...were you shorting the coil directly or after the BR? I have a newman that i'm running on a bedini circuit and it works fine with a reed shorting the coil. My generator coil is 500foot cat 3 six strand. would prefer magnet wire but it's hard to measure lengths that long without a foot ball field. the six strands are ran parallel and while lighting a radio shack neon with a built in resistor it has enough current left over to tickle my fingers. and as a bonus because the battery that i am charging is above the voltage generated by the generator the only lentz drag is from the brief period that the coil is shorted. so i could conceivably run several of these generators from the one motor. a true window motor would be great to test this on.

Sorry about clogging up your thread, But i am interested in finding out why it didn't work.

Matt

Comment

Hi Hob.

Interesting and very simple.

A couple of questions.

How are you collecting/utilising your spike? On the video the neon is lit up, but on the schematic it isnt included? Do you use a diode to funnel off the spike or is the spike inherent in your schematic and you just hook a neon up anywhere in the circuit? One or two legs?

Also, I respectfully challenge the heading of your thread. It would seem to me that the spike comes from dc, does it not? Since the AC input is Rectified to DC? The pulses come from the AC waveform (now rectified), so there is no real need to trigger the transistor as in most other cases. Self triggering at 60hz I guess, but still DC?

Did you find that the darlingtoned transistors was necessary for the effect?

I would like to see if the same effect could be achieved without the bridge rectifier in place. Perhaps the inclusion of a small capacitor in the right place could be of benefit.

Here is a page that isnt totally on topic, but the circuit diagram may give you some ideas?

12V to 120V Inverter

Regards

"Once you've come to the conclusion that what what you know already is all you need to know, then you have a degree in disinterest." - John Dobson

Comment

Hmm...were you shorting the coil directly or after the BR? I have a newman that i'm running on a bedini circuit and it works fine with a reed shorting the coil. My generator coil is 500foot cat 3 six strand. would prefer magnet wire but it's hard to measure lengths that long without a foot ball field. the six strands are ran parallel and while lighting a radio shack neon with a built in resistor it has enough current left over to tickle my fingers. and as a bonus because the battery that i am charging is above the voltage generated by the generator the only lentz drag is from the brief period that the coil is shorted. so i could conceivably run several of these generators from the one motor. a true window motor would be great to test this on.

Sorry about clogging up your thread, But i am interested in finding out why it didn't work.

Matt
                      By "shorting the coil" You mean just that, connecting both ends of the coil with a wire?

/Hob
                      Hob Nilre

Comment

Originally posted by ren View Post
                        Hi Hob.

Interesting and very simple.
                        Thanks, but it turned out to be quite silly, actually
                        The diodes seems to be replaceable with a resistor and then it's just vanilla, isn't it?

A couple of questions.

How are you collecting/utilising your spike? On the video the neon is lit up, but on the schematic it isnt included? Do you use a diode to funnel off the spike or is the spike inherent in your schematic and you just hook a neon up anywhere in the circuit? One or two legs?
                        I'm sorry I didn't include that in the circuit, yes, with a diode.
                        The neon was just across the transistors C to E.

Also, I respectfully challenge the heading of your thread. It would seem to me that the spike comes from dc, does it not? Since the AC input is Rectified to DC? The pulses come from the AC waveform (now rectified), so there is no real need to trigger the transistor as in most other cases. Self triggering at 60hz I guess, but still DC?
                        ;-)

I think the heading is correct, its about: "given an AC source, how do You produce spikes in the simplest way?"

Did you find that the darlingtoned transistors was necessary for the effect?
                        Yes, I thought I got better spikes in that way.

I would like to see if the same effect could be achieved without the bridge rectifier in place. Perhaps the inclusion of a small capacitor in the right place could be of benefit.
                        But You still need the change in voltage, so a cap would reduce that, and we don't want to go below 0V so I think the rectifier is a must.
                        I started out with a bunch of diodes from + to base, but I couldn't get it to work the way I wanted it to.

Here is a page that isnt totally on topic, but the circuit diagram may give you some ideas?

12V to 120V Inverter

Regards

I'll remember that circuit for future experiments, thanks!

/Hob
                        Hob Nilre

Comment

Originally posted by nilrehob View Post
                          By "shorting the coil" You mean just that, connecting both ends of the coil with a wire?

/Hob
                          I mean a momentary short at the instant that the voltage peaks on the generator. then the two ends of the coil is disconnected and you get a high voltage spike from the coil.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I mean a momentary short at the instant that the voltage peaks on the generator. then the two ends of the coil is disconnected and you get a high voltage spike from the coil.
                            Thats interesting, I'll try that!
                            Hob Nilre

Comment

Working...
                            X