Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High Speed Mechanical Switching Vs Transistors (aka purple flashing)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sucahyo View Post
    I tried using oil filled relay today, in attempt to reduce the spark. With other relay for timer I can make the relay oscillate in about 1Hz. But when I connect car coil with CFL load to it. The relay contact stuck.

Curious, I tried again with wire and steel bar. It stuck real good too and there is still glow spark in the contact right after it separated even when still submerge in oil.

My conclusion now:
    - Oil do not prevent spark as much
    - prepare for sticky contact halting the oscillation
    - releasing sticky contact require considerable power.
    Is the entire relay in an oil bath?
    Atoms move for free. It's all about resonance and phase. Make the circuit open and build a generator.

Comment

INQ, Suchayo...

as for relays in oil to protect them, i seem to recall that tesla put his coils in oil for the same reason BUT......he used "boiled out oil" ...whatever that is.

hope this helps....

David. D

Comment

Boiled Linseed Oil. You can find it in your hardware store in the paint section.
        If you boil it again, it will be double boiled, and extract any air bubble via vacuum, you will have what Tesla used.

David

Originally posted by rave154 View Post
        INQ, Suchayo...

as for relays in oil to protect them, i seem to recall that tesla put his coils in oil for the same reason BUT......he used "boiled out oil" ...whatever that is.

hope this helps....

David. D

Comment

Originally posted by Inquorate View Post
          Is the entire relay in an oil bath?
          My relay has detachable cap. I place it up side down, fill it full with automotive oil and then close it again. Since oil prevent the moving part to move rapidly, I use low frequency. I think any relay with enclosing container can be filled with oil if you place it up side down.

My relay has weak electromagnet, maybe car relay will perform better.

@rave154 and eternalightwithin, thanks for the info . I guess overcooked palm oil may have the same result if I can't find boiled linseed oil here. I wonder if it can prevent sticky contact.

Comment

Important development

Scope shot of my mechanical switch in series with a 12v bulb and 12v battery; and the difference sparking on the switch contact makes with reference to the scope shot..

YouTube - scope of sparking on mechanical switch

Love and light
            Atoms move for free. It's all about resonance and phase. Make the circuit open and build a generator.

Comment

INQ,

interesting how the voltage gained ( over 12V ) WITH the spark...

i remember reading ( cant remember what it was now dammit ).....it was about how if you take a HV source..for example, a flyback driver, or ignition coil driver etc... take the high voltage output and let it spark across to a screwdriver tip for example.....it will heat up the tip yet no extra cirrent is drawn from the supply...in other words.....theres "free stuff" IN the spark

btw, that scope & those waveforms were almost as sexy as yer missus

Comment

Sparks

I've always thought it must have been hard for tesla to get high frequencies and see radiant effects..

I'm really wondering now though if the absence of sparks is why we are not seeing what he was seeing.

And the Sillyscope is a sexy beast innit.

Love and light

Comment

INQ,

my velleman personal scope happened to be facing the screen when i played your video.....its now in the corner sulking.

i have to agree with you about the spark, maybe its "lucky" that tesla DIDNT have transistors and MOSFETS back then.....he may not have discovered this effect at all !!!

something .."weird" / "odd" / "exotic" ...happens when a spark discharges across/through the air...what we 'do' with this exotic thingie.....is up to us.( as it was up to tesla to do what he did with it )

Comment

Negative resistance in spark gap

I found this quite relevant in regards to my sparking switch experiment above

Frolov on resonant tuning and the Avramenko plug

Love and light

Comment

sparking switch update

I replaced the strip of razor blade on my mechanical switch, as a large part of it had been burnt away.

I then put a new strip in place, and the voltage gain at switch sparking is no longer showing up on the Oscilloscope.

So I've been doing research on carbon and sparks and negative resistance characteristics, coming across this (which I don't know if I support, but definitely find interesting)

ZPEnergy.com - E. V. Gray Analysis and Dirac Quasiparticles

And also this;

Electrons lose their mass in carbon sheets - physicsworld.com

And I'm wondering if the steel blade of the old switch gathered carbon during extended use with ignition coil experiments I was doing previously.

And became 'conditioned'

So; to re-iterate, mechanical switching alone does not cause this;

This is the 'switch' piece

21082009731 - Vox

And here is a home made diode using a steel razor blade exposed to flame

Chapter 4: Radio

Something funny going on here gentlemen.

Love and light

Comment

Very interesting .

Comment

YouTube - investigating mechanical switch

investigating the switch; turns out each 'on' is a number of off and on switches. At the end it cut out sound of me saying that an LC circuit's oscillations between the capacitor and the inductor could increase the switching frequency yet again - high mhz should be achievable by mechanical means.

Still trying to replicate previous voltage gain.

Love and light

Comment

Adding an LC circuit to mechanical switch to increase frequency

Thanks to ren for pointing this out to me, and thanks to rave for showing me tesla's capacitor and relay driven switch for the primary of a transformer, which in turn prompted ren to replace the relay in the sketch I drew with a simple spark gap..

This is how tesla must have gotten such high frequencies without modern components.

YouTube - How to add an LC circuit to mechanical switch output, to increase switch frequency

Ps, does anyone know what tesla used for a diode, or did he only utilise vacuum tubes?
                            Last edited by Inquorate; 08-22-2009, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Ony vacuum tubes, tube diode

Thanks to ren for pointing this out to me, and thanks to rave for showing me tesla's capacitor and relay driven switch for the primary of a transformer, which in turn prompted ren to replace the relay in the sketch I drew with a simple spark gap..

This is how tesla must have gotten such high frequencies without modern components.

YouTube - How to add an LC circuit to mechanical switch output, to increase switch frequency

Ps, does anyone know what tesla used for a diode, or did he only utilise vacuum tubes?

Comment

old switch gathered carbon

I replaced the strip of razor blade on my mechanical switch, as a large part of it had been burnt away.

I then put a new strip in place, and the voltage gain at switch sparking is no longer showing up on the Oscilloscope.

So I've been doing research on carbon and sparks and negative resistance characteristics, coming across this (which I don't know if I support, but definitely find interesting)

ZPEnergy.com - E. V. Gray Analysis and Dirac Quasiparticles

And also this;

Electrons lose their mass in carbon sheets - physicsworld.com

And I'm wondering if the steel blade of the old switch gathered carbon during extended use with ignition coil experiments I was doing previously.

And became 'conditioned'

So; to re-iterate, mechanical switching alone does not cause this;

This is the 'switch' piece

21082009731 - Vox

And here is a home made diode using a steel razor blade exposed to flame

Chapter 4: Radio

Something funny going on here gentlemen.

Love and light

just add precision dimensions and speed control.
                                Last edited by sigzidfit; 08-26-2009, 10:53 PM. Reason: the photo
                                A Phenomenon is anything which can be apprehended by the senses.

Comment

Working...
                                X