Help needed with fly-back transformer project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed with fly-back transformer project

Hi guys, building my tesla hairpin circuit soon, gathering the pieces.. I thought maybe ppl could help me build a fly-back transformer, or just share their own experiences for the group.

is this transformer old enough to use?

YouTube - is this too new to make into a hv fly-back transformer?

Love and light
    Atoms move for free. It's all about resonance and phase. Make the circuit open and build a generator.

Hi,

Maybe these links are useful in answering your questions:

All Solutions For Electronic Repair, Troubleshooting and Service

monitor flyback transformers

flyback transformers secrets and tips

I am not sure what you mean by the transformer old enough to use... but nevermind

rgds, Gyula

Comment

Tnx for the links

Thanks for that gyula,

Apparently the old flyback transformers are easier to use than the new ones; embedded diodes etc..

Apparently. Every time I take on a new project, I realise how little I know about everything. Should have been an engineer
      Atoms move for free. It's all about resonance and phase. Make the circuit open and build a generator.

Comment

Originally posted by Inquorate View Post
        Every time I take on a new project, I realise how little I know about everything. Should have been an engineer
        I feel exactly the same way!

And I'm also interested in flyback transformers, thx for this thread, I'll be monitoring it.

- Michael / Geminitric

**it is self-limiting to believe that everything you see is everything that is**

Comment

Keep in mind that the hairpin circuit as with any Tesla circuit needs a substantial amount of power for the disruptive discharges and if you want to run at high frequency, even more so.

Just make sure that a flyback can charge your capacitors fast enough, or you may want to consider a higher power option like a microwave oven transformer.

Comment

MAKE A HIGH VOLTAGE SUPPLY IN 5 MINUTES

Comment

Thanks again ppl

This is what I was looking for;

How to find the primary and the secundary coils of a FlyBack transformer by Jean-Louis Naudin

Love and light

Comment

Wouldn't car coil much better than flyback transformer?

My oil filled mallory car coil do have serious output. I never see plug give out such spark:
                YouTube - Three leg spark plug vs standard

I never see spark that big on standard bike or standard car, never see modified one. Or maybe it is because I use radiant charger to drive it?

Comment

Updated plans

Found this really simple flyback driver circuit, and the page also has a number of videos etc.. And everyone loves sparks.

loneoceans.com - Flyback Circuits

I have however decided to drive several transistors to around 20khz with a 555 timer.

Love and light

Comment

Variable duty cycle PWM circuit using one 555 timer

ok, so i've found a rather simple way to build a pwm using a 555 timer and achieving a variable pulse width, (virtually0% to 100%) that when adjusted, does not affect the frequency...

this circuit:

http://a4.vox.com/6a0110169c703a860d01101683bb4c860c-pi

with this adjustment:

http://a0.vox.com/6a0110169c703a860d011017ff30e8860e-pi

i will be using a dual contact 12 pin switch to switch between different timing capacitors, for a broader range of frequencies:

2 Pole Sealed PCB Rotary - Jaycar Electronics

which will be in series with an adjustable RF "puff" cap for fine tuning...

60 - 160pF Miniature Tuning Capacitor - Jaycar Electronics

and here is a 555 monostable frequency calculator:

LM555 Timer Circuits

wish me luck

Comment

ok, so i've found a rather simple way to build a pwm using a 555 timer and achieving a variable pulse width, (virtually0% to 100%) that when adjusted, does not affect the frequency...
                      Great find . Although I still think that frequency would change if we change the duty cycle. And I think you should only use the equation mentioned in the second link because of the modification.

Comment

Originally posted by sucahyo View Post
                        Great find . Although I still think that frequency would change if we change the duty cycle. And I think you should only use the equation mentioned in the second link because of the modification.
                        oh yeah, the frequency would change when the pulse width is altered...

hrm, anyone know how to get around that, or should i just use 2 555 circuits, one in monostable mode for the frequency, triggering another in the astable mode for the pulse width??

Comment

solid-state flyback

I have this book and will be building this circuit soon.
                          It looks very nice:

Electronic gadgets for the evil genius - Google Books

Comment

oh yeah, the frequency would change when the pulse width is altered...

hrm, anyone know how to get around that, or should i just use 2 555 circuits, one in monostable mode for the frequency, triggering another in the astable mode for the pulse width??
                            Hi,

In another thread I have uploaded a schematics on a 555 circuit variant where the duty cycle and the frequency can be varied independently, see here:
                            http://www.energeticforum.com/renewa...html#post61324

You can use the normal bipolar type NE555 instead of the CMOS LMC555CN if you do not need to go higher in frequency than a few hundred kHz. The pins of the LMC555 are the same like for the NE555, and you do not have to use the CD40106 gates if you do not need a heftier drive stage, in this latter case use the usual pin 3 of the 555 as the output to drive your further circuits.

rgds, Gyula

Comment

independent freq - duty alternative

Or you can try this:

RMCybernetics - DIY Homemade Signal Generator with Pulse Width Modulation

I am too lazy to find LM393, so I use the regular 555 one, but the circuit that gyula posted is interesting because I only to add diode.

Comment

Working...
                              X