X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

555 Timer circuit

Originally posted by dllabarre View Post
    @LidMotor

I'd like to replicate the 555 timer circuit to light a CFL that was in your video but I can't see what all the components were.
    Can you provide a list or a copy of the schematic in the forum here?

Thanks
    Hi,
    Sorry for the blurry video. I had the camera set wrong. Here are the 555CN timer parts values:

10k pot in series with a 1k resistor between pins 2 and 7

.1uf cap between pin 2 and (-) ground rail

10k resistor between pin 7 and (+) positive rail

220 ohm resistor between pin 3 and base of TIP3055 transistor

1N4001 diode (protection diode to save 555CN from back spike) on (+) rail leading to 3.7v /120v wall outlet transformer

The video is good enough to freeze frame the circuit diagram and make a sketch of how it is all hooked up.

These parts valuse were just guesses with my good friends Mr."Trial" and Mr. "Error" helping out.
    The simple circuit was one I found somewhere to drive an car ignition coil to make HV and I modified it. It might be right or wrong for this application but it worked just fine. The light bulb was happy.
    I will try to find a different transformer like what Tyson is using so I can get more light output. His 555 timer circuit might be better than mine also.

Lidmotor

Comment

@LidMotor

Thank you.

Using PaintShop I was able to capture the image from the video so I can see how the circuit is laid out but couldn't make out all the component values.

This list helps me greatly.
      Don

Comment

Hi folks, here is a pic of the halo bulb running at 300 milliamps @ 12volts. That is a 22W bulb. Pulse frequency is between 1.5Khz-2Khz. You can see the transformer used on the right and the one behind it works well also. I am not using the capture method here.
        peace love light
        Tyson
        Attached Files

Comment

That works for me!!

Originally posted by SkyWatcher View Post
          Hi folks, here is a pic of the halo bulb running at 300 milliamps @ 12volts. That is a 22W bulb. Pulse frequency is between 1.5Khz-2Khz. You can see the transformer used on the right and the one behind it works well also. I am not using the capture method here.
          peace love light
          Tyson
          @Tyson---That amount of light at those numbers will work great for me! I changed the cap in my circuit already to push the frequency up to the 2Khz range and got better brighness. The next step is to get the right transformer.
          The capture setup that I showed in the video appears to be actually working. The 1.5 volt battery packs are charging up and the light is staying on. I have the amp draw way down at between 60 and 100mA. It is hard to tell if the system would run just as long or not if I just used the extra 8 AAs when the first set ran out. My rough calculations put the run time at around 2 days if I did it that way. As I write this the system has been running 29 hours. If it makes it past 48 hours then things get real interesting. I swap the batteries every 6 to 12 hrs. when I get around to it.

Lidmotor

Comment

Why cant we just keep filling up an empty capacitor and then put it in the battery position to discharge to another empty capacitor and so on till the energy disipates.Does anyone follow what I'm trying to say .How would one go about designing such a circuit .Oh well,Please forgive me for my rambling off topic here.

-Gary

Comment

Originally posted by gmeat View Post
              Why cant we just keep filling up an empty capacitor and then put it in the battery position to discharge to another empty capacitor and so on till the energy disipates.Does anyone follow what I'm trying to say .How would one go about designing such a circuit .Oh well,Please forgive me for my rambling off topic here.
              -Gary
              Is this what you are looking for ?. Look at file: flexflo2.gif. Thet use the same principles as the tesla switch

http://www.keelynet.com/expcirc/flexflo.zip
              Last edited by nvisser; 09-27-2009, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nvisser View Post
                Is this what you are looking for ?. Look at file: flexflo2.gif. Thet use the same principles as the tesla switch

http://www.keelynet.com/expcirc/flexflo.zip

Hi Nvisser,

Thx for the interesting zip file,That was some interesting reading material .I have tried a mechanical version of the Tesla switch but had very poor results .Peace out.

-Gary

Comment

Hi folks, something interesting that David Bowling stumbled upon apparently and also a group called magnacoaster seems to have been using a similar idea. Something about a dead battery that is sulphated beyond repair by any means is able to function in a different way. here is a pic of the simple circuit which is basically what this thread is based on and the so called Tesla switch. Again the only difference is that the receiver battery is deader than a door-nail.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Functional dead battery

Originally posted by SkyWatcher View Post
                    Hi folks, something interesting that David Bowling stumbled upon apparently and also a group called magnacoaster seems to have been using a similar idea. Something about a dead battery that is sulphated beyond repair by any means is able to function in a different way. here is a pic of the simple circuit which is basically what this thread is based on and the so called Tesla switch. Again the only difference is that the receiver battery is deader than a door-nail.
                    I have seen this before and wondered about it. Someone sould try it if they have a completely dead battery.
                    Here is an update on my "Crazy Light" project:
                    Last night at just about the 2 day mark the light started going out leading me to the conclusion that the charger design was no better than just running the light the regular way. BUT-- on closer inspection of the AAs I found that not all the AAs were depleted. Some of them still had enough charge left in them to form an 8 pack and run the light some more. It was like getting an encore out of group. It gave me another hour of light.
                    It was an interesting experiment but my conclusion was that it really wasn't worth cycling the batteries. There might be a gain but it is slight.

Lidmotor

Comment

Hi Lid, thanks for sharing those results. Thing is with the setup, apparently it has to tuned and load matched in some way as Bedini has done and in fact look how tuning matters so much in the SEC your testing. I do have a dead 6volt battery, though not sure if its dead enough in the proper way, but I'm going to run some tests to see what may have been going on.

Comment

Anyhow, i did run into pretty the same Circuit, just use my Timer to pulse it with one Transistor.
                        But seems the Wattage i need is pretty the same as the Bulb needs,
                        i guess, best you can say about it, it is like at a HHOCell, you need a certain Amount of Energy to fire up the Gas.
                        I did run it a 11W Cfl with 12V 40mA close full brightness.

The secondary there spits out some of ~400V 12mA, under load about 130V.
                        and if i connect 2 unpoled Caps, like Typ 104(10nf) in Serie between the Cfl it reduce a bit the Ampdraw for ~10mA.
                        Its same as i ve seen at a Tesla Circuit, and i think, it doesnt hurt, when they store some of the V's.
                        I still got a Pot for the Base of the Transistor, and when i turned it down,
                        well, got some bad sparks inside my Transformer, but it draws 2Ah
                        Theorizer are like High Voltage. A lot hot Air with no Power behind but they are the dead of applied Work and Ideas.

Comment

Working...
                        X