Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Human Hair Solar Panel

Hi All,

Just read a very interesting article about a kid from Nepal who has built a 9V 18W solar panel using hair as opposed to silicon.

Teenager invents £23 solar panel that could be solution to developing world's energy needs..made from human hair | Mail Online

The melanin in the hair is the key and is light sensative, however I have not the slightest idea on how these are constructed, but am thinking that this would be an amazing project for home energy enthusiasts.

Cheers,

Steve
    You can view my vids here

http://www.youtube.com/SJohnM81

Originally posted by dambit View Post
    The melanin in the hair is the key and is light sensative, however I have not the slightest idea on how these are constructed, but am thinking that this would be an amazing project for home energy enthusiasts.
    Unless your balding .. like me.

That is an amazing idea!!!

Comment

Hi All
      There are many articles on the web saying this story is a hoax - just passing on.

Comment

Not necessary a hoax. He may use bare bone solar panels connecting them using hair.

Comment

Originally posted by boguslaw View Post
          Not necessary a hoax. He may use bare bone solar panels connecting them using hair.
          Hi All,

Hairs have melanin as component.

Let's read wiki:
          The photochemical properties of melanin make it an excellent photoprotectant. It absorbs harmful UV-radiation and transforms the energy into harmless amounts of heat through a process called "ultrafast internal conversion". This property enables melanin to dissipate more than 99.9% of the absorbed UV radiation as heat[3] and it keeps the generation of free radicals at a minimum (see photoprotection). This prevents the indirect DNA damage which is responsible for the formation of malignant melanoma.

So if melanin can absorb and transform UV-radiation to heat why do not suggest that it can transform radiation to electricity?

Comment

Originally posted by kdas View Post
            Hi All,

Hairs have melanin as component.

Let's read wiki:
            The photochemical properties of melanin make it an excellent photoprotectant. It absorbs harmful UV-radiation and transforms the energy into harmless amounts of heat through a process called "ultrafast internal conversion". This property enables melanin to dissipate more than 99.9% of the absorbed UV radiation as heat[3] and it keeps the generation of free radicals at a minimum (see photoprotection). This prevents the indirect DNA damage which is responsible for the formation of malignant melanoma.

So if melanin can absorb and transform UV-radiation to heat why do not suggest that it can transform radiation to electricity?
            Because it doesn't transform uv into electricity?

As said above it transforms it into heat. It's like saying a chalkboard can generate electricity because it's black.

I'm sceptical Sorry
            "Theory guides. Experiment decides."

“I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything.”
            Nikola Tesla

Comment

Originally posted by Sephiroth View Post
              Because it doesn't transform uv into electricity?

As said above it transforms it into heat. It's like saying a chalkboard can generate electricity because it's black.

I'm sceptical Sorry
              I've found interesting link PLoS ONE: Ionizing Radiation Changes the Electronic Properties of Melanin and Enhances the Growth of Melanized Fungi

Conclusions/Significance
              Exposure of melanin to ionizing radiation, and possibly other forms of electromagnetic radiation, changes its electronic properties. Melanized fungal cells manifested increased growth relative to non-melanized cells after exposure to ionizing radiation, raising intriguing questions about a potential role for melanin in energy capture and utilization.
              Nepalies have black hairs with a lot of melanin. This guy says that a key is melanin.

Comment

Working...
              X