Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Supreme Court ruling upholds Arizona law

Good news

Yesterday the U.S. Supreme Court upheld an Arizona law that imposes sanctions against businesses that hire illegal immigrants. The court, in a 5-3 opinion, said federal immigration law doesn’t bar Arizona from suspending or revoking the licenses of businesses that employ undocumented workers.

“Because we conclude that the state’s licensing provisions fall squarely within the federal statute’s savings clause and that the Arizona regulation does not otherwise conflict with federal law, we hold that the Arizona law is not preempted,” Chief Justice John Roberts wrote in a 27-page opinion for the court’s conservative majority.

The Supreme Court also upheld the Arizona law’s requirement that employers use a federal electronic verification system (E-Verify) to check the immigration status of workers.

This is a very important victory, and opens the door for other states to pass similar laws. Way to go!
    "Seek wisdom by keeping an open mind to alternative realities, questioning authority, and searching for truth. Only then, when you see or hear something that has 'the ring of truth' to it, will it be as if a veil has been lifted, and suddenly you will begin to hear and see far more clearly than ever before." - Rickoff

Comment

• Your tax dollars at work

If you haven't yet reached the conclusion that we are Taxed Enough Already, as the TEA Party name implies, you should definitely watch a newly released video that exposes shameful government waste of taxpayer dollars on so-called research programs. Representative Tom Coburn has been doing a lot of research into wasteful and unnecessary government spending, and this video exposes just a few of the most outlandish federally funded research grants. Top billing goes to a $500,000 science project that studies "shrimp on treadmills" - no kidding! And the other projects which are mentioned, some costing far more, are equally zany. These grants are so ridiculous that they might seem laughable, until you realize that your hard earned dollars are paying for this crap.

Rick
      "Seek wisdom by keeping an open mind to alternative realities, questioning authority, and searching for truth. Only then, when you see or hear something that has 'the ring of truth' to it, will it be as if a veil has been lifted, and suddenly you will begin to hear and see far more clearly than ever before." - Rickoff

Comment

• So, let me get this straight;

Are senate staffers paid with tax dollars?
        "Tom Coburn has been doing a lot of research into wasteful and unnecessary government spending," If so, that means 'we' are spending tax dollars, to pay Tom Coburn's staffers, to research wastful research projects, that are spending tax dollars.
        You ought to get in on this, rick.We've all been impressed with your tremendous research skills.You could get a tax subsidised job, researching the wasteful research of senate staffers, researching wasteful research projects!,,,,, Not making fun of YOU, you know that!Just the crazy mixed up world."Flush TWICE, its a LOOONG way to Washington D.C.

On the Az. employer sanctions law; the Lawyers who fought that, to the Supreme Court, and their clients, ('Civil rights groups' and the Chamber of Commerce) should have to re-imburse the Government for the cost of the legal 'defence' of that Law.It was sooooo obvious that it WAS constitutional.

I'm afraid sb 1070 is going to have a much tougher road to hoe.;-( Jim

Comment

• Originally posted by rickoff View Post
          Top billing goes to a $500,000 science project that studies "shrimp on treadmills" - no kidding! And the other projects which are mentioned, some costing far more, are equally zany. These grants are so ridiculous that they might seem laughable, until you realize that your hard earned dollars are paying for this crap.

Rick
          I know that many of the ideas we have on this site could be considered ...well wacky and just down right strange in some peoples eyes. However atleast we can all say it is our own money and we are learning from what we do with the hope of some day acheiving energy independance....

BUT

there is no way you can tell me that watching shrimp on a treadmill can give us any infomration we dont already know or can get from another more cost effective source

I want my money back...I want a refund
          Bizzy
          Smile it doesn't hurt!

Jesus said,"...all things are possible through God." Mk10:27

Comment

• Render unto Cesear

And Render, and render, and render.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bizzy View Post
              there is no way you can tell me that watching shrimp on a treadmill can give us any infomration we dont already know or can get from another more cost effective source
              Bizzy
              FACT: Shrimp Study Provides Insight Into Bacterial Infections In Marine Life Like Humans, "If Shrimp With Bacterial Infections Have Less Endurance And Strength, That Affects Their Ability To Survive." From a November 25, 2008, MSNBC article:

Serious science
              Jokes aside, [David] Schlock and [Rick] Burnett -- the latter of Grice Marine Laboratory at the College of Charleston, S.C. -- had a serious purpose to their peculiar exercise regimen: to learn how bacterial infections affected a shrimp's endurance. They hit on the idea of putting one on a treadmill. It's an important question, they explained -- one that's actually related to TODAY's recent Ends of the Earth special series, in which the TODAY anchors fanned out across the globe to investigate the strain put by humans on our most precious resource -- water.

Both climate change and the runoff from agriculture and human activities affect the composition of ocean water, which in turn can lead to higher levels of bacteria. If shrimp with bacterial infections have less endurance and strength, that affects their ability to survive.

Just as with sick people, "we found that the diseased shrimp have a more difficult time performing on the treadmill," said Burnett. "The difference is, when you get a cold or an infection, no one tries to eat you."

Additionally, an October 2006 Live Science article points out that "[a] sluggish, sick human is easy to spot. But it's harder to tell when a shrimp is under the weather." Scholnick was later quoted in the Live Science article as saying: "These studies will give us a better idea of how marine animals can perform in their native habitat when faced with increasing pathogens and immunological challenges." [MSNBC, 11/25/08, emphasis in original; Live Science, 10/18/06]

National Political Updates | Democratic Party of Washington County

Al

Comment

• Originally posted by aljhoa View Post
                FACT: Shrimp Study Provides Insight Into Bacterial Infections In Marine Life Like Humans, "If Shrimp With Bacterial Infections Have Less Endurance And Strength, That Affects Their Ability To Survive." From a November 25, 2008, MSNBC article:

Serious science
                Jokes aside, [David] Schlock and [Rick] Burnett -- the latter of Grice Marine Laboratory at the College of Charleston, S.C. -- had a serious purpose to their peculiar exercise regimen: to learn how bacterial infections affected a shrimp's endurance. They hit on the idea of putting one on a treadmill. It's an important question, they explained -- one that's actually related to TODAY's recent Ends of the Earth special series, in which the TODAY anchors fanned out across the globe to investigate the strain put by humans on our most precious resource -- water.

Both climate change and the runoff from agriculture and human activities affect the composition of ocean water, which in turn can lead to higher levels of bacteria. If shrimp with bacterial infections have less endurance and strength, that affects their ability to survive.

Just as with sick people, "we found that the diseased shrimp have a more difficult time performing on the treadmill," said Burnett. "The difference is, when you get a cold or an infection, no one tries to eat you."

Additionally, an October 2006 Live Science article points out that "[a] sluggish, sick human is easy to spot. But it's harder to tell when a shrimp is under the weather." Scholnick was later quoted in the Live Science article as saying: "These studies will give us a better idea of how marine animals can perform in their native habitat when faced with increasing pathogens and immunological challenges." [MSNBC, 11/25/08, emphasis in original; Live Science, 10/18/06]

National Political Updates | Democratic Party of Washington County

Al
                As Bizzy said, we already knew that sick shrimp are slower and have less endurance than healthy one's. They are even slower when they are dead.

If the scientists didn't already know that diseased or bacterially infected shrimp would have less endurance than healthy one's then they have no business being scientists in my opinion.

Next they will be testing to see if three legged horses are slower than four legged one's. Increadible.

Cheers

Comment

• Originally posted by Farmhand View Post
                  As Bizzy said, we already knew that sick shrimp are slower and have less endurance than healthy one's. They are even slower when they are dead.

If the scientists didn't already know that diseased or bacterially infected shrimp would have less endurance than healthy one's then they have no business being scientists in my opinion.

Next they will be testing to see if three legged horses are slower than four legged one's. Incredible.
                  Good one, Farmhand

And in line with dutchdivco's thoughts on getting an equally silly research project going here with mega funding, here's how we might use these shrimpy runners as an energy source. Instead of having them run on a treadmill that does nothing but register the number of revolutions per day, as in the project that was noted, why not have them doing work? Just imagine 1 million shrimp running simultaneously on 1 million tiny treadmills. Let's assume that each treadmill could produce an average of 1/1000 of a watt of electrical power. Now that isn't much, of course, but with 1 million of these you could generate 1,000 watts of continuous power on a 24hr/7day a week basis. That would be enough to run most any household. With proper management, maybe we could squeeze out a little more work from the shrimp, perhaps by dangling a food source out in front of them (which they could only reach by running faster). I guess the way to do this project right is to have a breeding tank set up so that every few days you would have a fresh supply of enthusiastic and hardy young runners. The ones that are being replaced could be cooked and delivered to market (the ones we don't personally devour, that is). Of course to achieve economy of scale in the purchase of the treadmills, we would probably have to come up with a wide treadmill that could be utilized by many shrimp at the same time. But, then again, why worry about cost if the government is going to fund the research with taxpayer dollars?

Ahh, the wonders of shrimp! And they are good eating too. For two months of the winter here, the shrimp are plentiful in the Gulf Of Maine. In 2010 they sold for 1 dollar a pound, and this past winter the price was up to $1.25, but that's still quite reasonable. The way the dollar is going to hell the price will probably be around $5 or more next winter. I forgot to count how many were in a pound, but let's say there were 100. At that rate, we would need 10,000 pounds. In case you're wondering, yes they do come to market still live. Well, so even if they are $5 a pound, that would only be $50,000. If we can get an equally good deal on the mini-treadmill/generators, tanks, pumps, shrimp food, etc, I'd say this would be a viable project. Just think - a project like this could put renewable energy in every home. It could employ millions of currently unemployed persons, who would be manufacturing treadmill/generators, shrimp tanks, pumps, filters, etc. It could also feed multitudes of hungry people. This could be a cure all for so many problems.

But wait a minute - would the government approve funding for such a project? Well, probably not if they take the time to read some of the posts in this thread, lol.
                  Last edited by rickoff; 05-29-2011, 06:26 PM.

Comment

• I hope you took my comments in jest aljhoa, I was just trying to be funny. Sarcasticly.

Interesting concept for putting the crustaceans to work Rick

I think you make a better investigator than you would a shrimp wrangler though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Farmhand View Post
                      I hope you took my comments in jest aljhoa, I was just trying to be funny. Sarcasticly.

Interesting concept for putting the crustaceans to work Rick

I think you make a better investigator than you would a shrimp wrangler though.

Farmhand, pelsae ntocie taht:
                      I did not mkae any cmomnets,
                      I jest persneetd aontehr pniot of veiw
                      and taht trehe are olny cnousmres.

Al

Comment

• Rick, Rick, Rick

If your going to have ANY success applying for Gov't grants, you've GOT to change your mindset; from that of a taxpayer, to that of a profligate spender.
                        Think Billions, not millions.If the pricetag is too low, its not worth Washingtons while.
                        Favorite Washington quote; "Billion here, Billion there, sooner or later it starts to add up to REAL $!"
                        "be utilized by many shrimp at the same time. But, then again, why worry about cost if the government is going to fund the research with taxpayer dollars? "
                        " But, then again, why worry about cost if the government is going to fund the research with taxpayer dollars? " Thats the idea!
                        In fact, you want to design this treadmill with as many parts as possible; each part is manufactured in a different state, and the whole thing is assembled in yet ANOTHER state.That way you get as many Senators and Congressman as possible 'on board'.Oh, and if you could figure out some MILITARY application for this treadmill, well, then it wouldn't even HAVE to work! Don't worry about the Military not wanting the treadmill, or having no use for it, (even if it DID work) thats irrelevent. And I guess this is getting pretty irreverent.To true to be funny? Ah, well, laughters the best medicine, and sometimes you gotta laugh.Jim

Comment

• On a serious note

This talk about shrimp jogs my thinking, on something I was thinking back when we were talking about 'survivalist', after TSHTF, kind of stuff.Specifically, what to eat.I was thinking about FISH, but crustaceans would work, too.
                          What I need is some kind of fish, or crustacean; shrimp, crawdad, whatever, with a short life cycle.i.e. really fast growing.My idea is keep a small # of 'breeders' in an aquarium.If/when TSHTF, take out and set up 1 or more ez-set above ground pools, and 'seed' them with my breeders.Pool lites would attract bugs, fish/whatever eat bugs, I eat fish/whatever.
                          Would need system to provide enough protean for 2, with maybe extra to trade.I have no idea what species would be appropriate for this, and of coarse COULD have more than 1; say trout and crawdads. I recall that 'goldfish' grow according to the size of their environment; anyone know if thats true for all fish? And anyone know of a fast growing fish or crustcean?Jim

Comment

• Florida Keys Treasures - Fish

Note on that page, that there is one type of fish that can grow 3ft in 1 year. Perfect !
                            Umm, not really, it's a dolphin
                            However, that fact may cement Government funding ! particularly considering the area of the website survey is not a million miles away from BP's disaster. Horrendous stories from fishermen btw, of sickly catches.
                            Looking at these dolphin again, they look like they've run head first into an oil rig lol

Military shrimps gave a good laugh
                            Last edited by Slider2732; 05-28-2011, 06:30 PM.

Comment

• Damn!

I just don't think I could plan to eat a dolphin.Growth factor is just whaT I'm looking for, if it were a catfish, or something.Jim

Comment

• Originally posted by dutchdivco View Post
                                I just don't think I could plan to eat a dolphin.Growth factor is just whaT I'm looking for, if it were a catfish, or something.Jim
                                Mahi-mahi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                                Umm those are "Dolphin Fish" or Mahi Mahi, they are good eating fish, they can be caught here around the Great Barrier Reef too, kind of similar to Mackeral but different.They would be difficult to farm. If they grow fastest, maybe worth a shot.

Barramundi would be my choice of fish to farm.
                                Barramundi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They grow really really big, the biggest one in this gallery looks about 1.4 meters, I havn't caught any that big, my biggest one was 1.03 meters. They're really really yummy too. And they can be farmed in fresh water dams or ponds.
                                Barramundi Pics - Barramundi Photos - Barramundi Photo Gallery

I think there is an equivilent fish that inhabits the Florida area but I don't know what they are called, people Bowfish them there I think.

Comment

Working...
                                X