Donald Smith Devices too good to be true

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by drak View Post
    My intuitive answer would be you are correct. But I'm no expert in transformers by any means so I can't answer that.
    Reading up on TC it looks like that formula is correct.

Here is some info on comparing different HF conductors used for TC's:

Experiment to compare the AC resistance of primary inductors.
    Primary AC resistance measurements

Conclusions:

1/4" copper tubing is a very good choice for primary coils. I'd recommend using the closest spacing possible. Do not under any circumstances use stranded or braided wire. Unresolved is if, and to what degree, unused outer turns and two-layer construction affect the AC resistance.

Also note that while this study gives definitive rankings to the AC resistance of various conductors and geometries, the actual impact to one's Tesla coil's performance was not addressed. It may be that spark gap losses are so far in excess of primary losses that the actual impact of conductor choice is negligible. Or quite possibly not.
    Cheers Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by zilano
      Hi!

inner 2" coil outer 3" coil diameter. 5 turns bifilar(5cw+5ccw) primary 80 turns. voltage fed 4kv=4000 volt. so voltage per turn in primary is4000/80=50v per turn so it will not burn insulation. see tesla is just a transformer that happens to be a resonant one. usually tesla coils r step up so we can swap wires and dont worry abt insulation if we keep voltage per turn lesser than 300 volts. it can be used as stepdown also. only u have to swap wires. when u using it as step up the secondary has high voltage and insulation dont burn up so when u use it as a step down it will handle high voltage input.

regards

zzz
      Hi Zilano

Thank you for the explanation. What wire size have you found that works in your 80 turn primary coil? Windings/turns per inch?

Cheers Mike

Comment

hi folks!

COURTESY: ENERGETIC FORUM

don bifilar

pic attached

zzz
        Hi Zilano

Interesting design. 7 turns primary and 20 turns secondary. What is the input voltage to the thick primary coil? Output voltage from secondary?

Cheers Mike

Comment

hI THATS JUST A PIC TO SHOW DRAK! AND ALL OTHERS WHO DONT UNDERSTAND BIFILAR BASICS IN DONS CIRCUIT. ITS FOR ALL THOSE WHO WANNA KNOW HOW TO WIND BIFILAR.

regds

zilano zeis zane!
          Thanks

Comment

hi folks!

COURTESY: ENERGETIC FORUM

don bifilar

pic attached

zzz
            He! Thats my coil

I'm waiting for caps to connect my nst and to resonate the primary the turns and length counts for 1/4th so the sec should get a harmonic freq and also resonate.

Currently i've used 3v input dc from pulse gen. and on resonance a led burns up bright But thats on the coils itself in the mhz.

Br,
            Webmug

Comment

• Lol! tnx...

My setup is using 12V 9Ahr lead accid battery with an inverter to 110V max 150Watt and with a neon dimmer i can turn my NST to max 9KV 30mAmps output.

But that maximum not needed I guess otherwise i will burn out my caps because of max amps that is going to swing through the cap and primairy coil.

I will also try to use a sparkgap in parallel of the tank circuit, because de tank also needs to be on resonance i can try sparkgap but also use a surgearrestor/lightingarrestor to limit the power, max amps will flow through primairy tank with both setups.

For the secondary side i'm not sure what to use yet, a parallel sparkgap and a tank to resonate through a isolation transformer i guess, and thats then also possible with surgearrestor/lightingarrestor.

But I think I'm needed to make al large primary also otherwise i't is to much power, i'm always searching for big isolation stepdown transformers but they are not so common so step down in this coil setup is safer to do and to test.

br,
              Webmug

Comment

• Dynatron work from Russia

Hi,
                I am following the work of this guy from Russia, he is doing some interesting work based on D. Smith devices. His channel on YouTube :TheDynatron's Channel - YouTube shows some big current on output with heavy loads plugged with only a 100w switching supply as source. He is publishing and sharing advances and information on this forum: Donald L. Smith, unfortunately is in russian so Google translation is not a great help but it seems that he is doing a very good work. You can find more than 2 hours long videos about his work. I enclose a google translated pdf with the first part of instructions for replication published by him.
                At least, someone that wants to share his work , get results and try to improve without hidden magical ingredients. The last 4 pages of the thread have a lot of information.
                Attached Files

Comment

hI i just used pvc insulated insulated wire i found lying in my home did not measure the gauge of it but its solid copper single strand.and used basic rule of thumb primary coil wire is half thick than secondary but results were low as i was not getting the amps. so i used thicker copper wire like kapanadze. and got amps. the basic is when u have resonance the thicker coil generates more amps and if u wanna keep input low make primary thinner. experiments make u learn wots better for u. i used single strand copper ac wire 2mm thick 220-230 v A.C. and for secondary used thicker alluminum wire first then changed to copper. 16mm thick.

regards

zzz
                  Hi Zilano

The 16mm thick secondary is a nice size to pickup lots of amps. What amp and volts does it output?

Cheers Mike

Comment

Hi mike!

40 amps output at 230=250 v
                    regards
                    zzz
                    Hi Zilano

Very nice

Is the 16mm a flat ribbon similar to this spiral design or is a 16mm copper tube?

Cheers Mike

Comment

yes its same that i have used!

solid copper hammered over iron pipe for coiling
                      regards
                      zzz
                      Very nice, 2mm primary windings to 16mm secondary

Do you lower your 30khz frequency after the 5 turn bifilar secondary, 30khz to 50hz? Or before?

How do you measure your modified 4kv NST output frequency of 35khz?

Cheers Mike

Comment

Hi!
                        inner 2" coil outer 3" coil diameter. 5 turns bifilar(5cw+5ccw) primary 80 turns.
                        Originally posted by zilano
                        use spark gap-very important

wish u all the luck. and if u feel u r not able to handle high voltage then use reverse tesla design.(make L1=primary 4 times of secondary L2.this means If L2 is 1 feet then L1 is 4 feet) and if using bifilar L2 then 1 feet+1 feet and 4 feet L1.

@Zilano

Eighty turns at 2" produces a wire length of about 42'. Five turns of 3" produce a length of about 4'. That disagrees with your statement about the secondary needing to be 1/4 of the length of the primary.

Please explain.

Comment

Hi mike!

my nst is sine wave 4kv 500 ma. downgraded voltage from 4kv to 250v hf. then i used r across my transformer that is 1:1 rated for 60 amps.and get 250 v ac. 50 hz

regards

zilano zeis zane!
                          Hi Zilano

So you lower the voltage after the spark gap? Do you have a schematic on this setup?

How do you do the resonate between the NST and the air core primary at such low voltage? We needed the 4kv to jump the spark gap.

Cheers Mike

Comment

hI MIKE!

NST IS 4KV FED TO PRIMARY. SECONDARY DOWNGRADES IT TO 250V. VOLTAGE IS NOT LOW ITS 4KV. DONT HAVE SCHEMATIC RIGHT NOW. BUT ITS SIMILAR TO THE ONE I POSTED AS A CRUDE CIRCUIT. MY SPARK JUMPS ALSO AT 4KV.

REGDS

ZZZ
                            Hi Zilano

Thank you for the clarification. Do you also downgrade the frequency from 30khz to 50hz after the secondary? Or before the primary?

Cheers Mike

Comment

hI MIKE!

MY R DOES IT! AFTER SECONDARY AND B4 MY 1:1 TRANSFORMER RATED AT 60 AMPS 250 VOLTS. R ACTS AS LOW PASS PASS FILTER. AND ALLOWS FREQUENCIES LIKE 50 HZ TO PASS THRU TRANSFORMER. AND STOPS HF PASSING ONTO TRANSFORMER.

RGDS
                              ZZZ
                              Hi Zilano

Very nice

So your R acts like a high bandwidth filter and low bandwidth filter and allows only 50hz to the 1:1 isolation transformer?

Is there a program that can calculate the R values?

Cheers Mike

Comment

well yes.!
                                and for r value calc there is no program. u have to print dons nomograph and use a transparent paper and draw lines and get R.

rgds

zzz
                                Ah, okay thanks

Yeah, Don also mentioned that in one of his lectures. Surprised that this is not common knowledge with an online calculator. There are online calculators for everything else LOL

Cheers Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X