X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seth
    replied
    Originally posted by xee2 View Post
    Thanks for the details. I was unable to get the TIP31C to work with my coil but I will give it another try. I think it does not have much gain above 1 MHz and my small coil seems to self resonate over 1 MHz. I am begining to see that the big coils work with the power transistors because they have so much self capacitance that they produce a self resonant frequency in the KHz range where the power transistors have gain. At least that seems like a possibility. I may have to make a big coil to get more current.
    I couldnt get my TIP31C to work on a smaller coil either.

Leave a comment:

• xee2
    replied
    Originally posted by Jiffycoil View Post
    Hi Xee2,
    I've been running this setup and I have had very little heating of the transistor. I do have it on a regular finned heat sink. I run mine for 10-15 min at a time with no problem.
    [/url], on Flickr
    Thanks for the details. I was unable to get the TIP31C to work with my coil but I will give it another try. I think it does not have much gain above 1 MHz and my small coil seems to self resonate over 1 MHz. I am begining to see that the big coils work with the power transistors because they have so much self capacitance that they produce a self resonant frequency in the KHz range where the power transistors have gain. At least that seems like a possibility. I may have to make a big coil to get more current.

Leave a comment:

• xee2
    replied
    correction

The last two circuit diagrams I posted were not correct. I have modified the posts to show the correct circuit. Sorry.

Leave a comment:

• Jiffycoil
    replied
    Hi Xee2,
    I've been running this setup and I have had very little heating of the transistor. I do have it on a regular finned heat sink. I run mine for 10-15 min at a time with no problem.

TIP31 transistor
    1 M resistor

12v power from converted computer PS

L1 3.5" form, AWG 27 magnet wire, 962 turns, coil capacitance 6.2pF
    coil inductance 17.1mH.

L2 Pancake coil 9 turns AWG 21 plastic coated solid wire

L3 3.5" form, AWG 27 magnet wire, 513 turns, coil capacitance 4.6pF
    coil inductance 8.4mH.

Slayer-2 circuit by jiffycoil, on Flickr
    Last edited by Jiffycoil; 09-02-2010, 02:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• xee2
    replied
    dual transistor circuit

Another test using transistor protection. Dual transistors with heat sinks do not get hot after 5 minutes at 12 volts. This seems to be a transistor safe circuit at 120 mA. Now I need to see if I can push the current up higher.

Whoops ---- I had my LED backwards. I have replaced circuit diagram to show corrected circuit. 1N4007 diodes were removed since they were not doing anything. Sorry about the mistake. This is just about what Slayer has already posted.

circuit = http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/9...circuitdua.jpg

heat sink photo = http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/5...tsinkphoto.jpg

coil photo at 12 volts = http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/9...ilphoto12v.jpg
    Last edited by xee2; 09-02-2010, 04:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Magneticitist
    replied
    im using an adapter in that video, 3.7V. what is necessary to normally light the LED's.

it can however work with a AA it just needs to be ran using a joule thief for those LEDs to light.

the power input is really of no concern, it has no bearing whatsoever on the receptiveness of the amplified Base, just how much current is being ran once the Base switches.

Leave a comment:

• xee2
    replied
    another tranasistor protection test

This test was with a transistor that has a higher Veb max than the MPSA06. The transistor gets hot slowly at 12 volts - needs a better heat sink. This circuit will light fluorescent tube wirelessly with 33 mA from an AA battery cell phone charger.

Whoops ---- I had my LED backwards. I have replaced circuit diagram to show corrected circuit. 1N4007 diodes were removed since they were not doing anything. Sorry about the mistake. This is just about what Slayer has already posted.

circuit = http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/4...circuit2n2.jpg

heat sink photo = http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/5...tsinkphoto.jpg

coil photo 12 volts = http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/9...ilphoto12v.jpg
    Last edited by xee2; 09-02-2010, 04:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• seth
    replied
    Thanks Xee, but im living not so far from Moscow at the moment and the postal service is poor - its never guaranteed that you'll get stuff thats sent through the post - i only buy stuff from amazon when i go back to the UK and then bring it over. Im hoping ill find that gadget in a mobile phone shop out here, and the transistors and diodes ill have to find in the radio market.

@Magneticist - very interesting video. when i get some more transistors i absolutely have to try the darlington arrangement. I'm also curious - what kind of power source are you using? 1AA??

Leave a comment:

• dragon
    replied
    That's pretty cool Magneticitist ! Is this being powered by a AA battery ?
    ________
    MOTORCYCLE TIRES
    Last edited by dragon; 05-11-2011, 10:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Magneticitist
    replied
    i was playing with darlington arrangements and i was noticing some similarities between how it switched and how the SEC works..

with the darlington quadruplet the voltage needed to switch the base fully on is very very small. im talking the electrostatic charge from your body from across the room is enough to trigger it.

im thinking maybe this is how the SEC works too, and possibly using more of a darlington config could amplify it greatly..

from what i can see the transistor on the SEC is using one of the antennas as a way of amplifying the base voltage in, then stepping the battery voltage up with the HV transformer, and using your body as a conductive route to get it oscillating.

heres a little vid i made showing how sensitive the circuit is and how well it drives a couple LED's.
    YouTube - touch-activated LED driver, or close proximity activated.

from across the room lifting my foot from the carpet triggers it, and it will eventually oscillate on its own at low frequency with just the charge that has built up in the room.

i cant say its the same as the SEC because the SEC transfers its input wireless, and not the initial switching current, but there are some similarities.

i was hoping to get some thoughts on this or how this could be taken advantage of or how it could possibly shed some light on spacial coherence.

Leave a comment:

• xee2
    replied
    Originally posted by seth View Post
    Hope i can find an emergency phone charger soon
    You can buy them from Amazon:

Amazon.com: Motorola Micro USB AA battery Powered Emergency Cell Phone Travel Charger / Re-Charger in high grade Brushed Aluminum housing!: Electronics

Leave a comment:

• seth
    replied
    Originally posted by Jiffycoil View Post
    I didn't see a continuous plasma jet until I ran the setup at 12v (I'm using the basic transistor resistor setup). I ordered some of the variable capacitors and I'm anxious to see how they work with the setup and its tuning. I found a similar phone charger on Ebay, but they come from China (long wait) and I don't know what the quality is from the listing.
    Its a shame - i'm down to my last transistor.....ive blown three TIP31C and four MJE 13009thanks to using 12 or 6V batteries, so i wont be trying the plasma jet until i find some more robust transistors. Nonetheless, im happy playing with AA batteries. Here is another video showing almost 30cm wireless transmission to a big CFL on 1AA battery. It lights neons placed near the battery terminals also.

Im amazed i can get these effects on 1AA battery. Hope i can find an emergency phone charger soon....i think it will improve my output.

YouTube - 1.5V wireless exciter.flv

Leave a comment:

• Jiffycoil
    replied
    I didn't see a continuous plasma jet until I ran the setup at 12v (I'm using the basic transistor resistor setup). I ordered some of the variable capacitors and I'm anxious to see how they work with the setup and its tuning. I found a similar phone charger on Ebay, but they come from China (long wait) and I don't know what the quality is from the listing.

Leave a comment:

• seth
    replied
    Originally posted by xee2 View Post
    Nice video, thanks. You are getting great performance from your coil. Have you tried to generate a plasma stream?
    Not yet mate - tell me how I am hungry for new experiments. Is there a small modification necessary? Perhaps a diode somewhere??? If this is the case, I have to buy some IN4148 still, as i havent had a chance yet. I also wanna test the AV plug. Its a new one on me.

I really would like to try charging my own batteries - my coil works so well on 2 AA. Anyone got a link or video showing how they charged their batteries?

Cant wait to get one of those emergency phone chargers. wanna see what i can get out of 1AA with one of those beauties.

Old Chinese proveb goes ''Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand''. - Thanks for involving me guys. Happy experimenting.

Leave a comment:

• xee2
    replied
    Originally posted by seth View Post
    As promised!
    This is for Xee2 really....Its becoming an addiction.....
    Nice video, thanks. You are getting great performance from your coil. Have you tried to generate a plasma stream?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X