Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jonnydavro
    replied
    Hi.Here is a video by Cosmic gnarler AKA CosmicFarmer.I have taken the liberty of posting it here as it is too interesting to let it slip away as it may be a self runner.
    Nice one Cosmic .Jonny
    YouTube - 0v Slayer Exciter ala Toroid.

Leave a comment:

• Zooty
    replied
    Slayer SEC with LED indicator wows!

Guy's, i just built the slayer sec with the 2 diodes and led from emitter to base. I ran it the first time with 10v and the led almost blinded me lol. Burnt my fingers on the top of the coil too. At 1.25v it draws 5ma when tuned, the led in the base looks like its at least 3/4 fully lit and i can get a neon to light near the coil.. I cant understand how the led can be so bright at 1.25v and just 5ma. These led's need 3.3v and draw 25ma. I haven't even tried an avplug with led's near the coil yet.

Leave a comment:

• rave154
    replied
    its late here....and....late at night....i often find myself with a mindset of "how can we round this up?, how can we tie this all together and come up with something useful"....

by useful.....i dont mean.......being able to light a couple of flouro's by placing them in proximity to a large coil......i mean.....REALLY useful...

so....what are we going to do, to pull in all the loose threads and make something "useful" happen

remember....everything ive said above.....is NOT an attack.....its meant in the spirit of being helpful ( if i can )

Ahimsa

David. D

Leave a comment:

• TanTric
    replied
    sory, me bad! i dont know the gage, but its arround 0.3, 0.4 mm!

i just putted an axle inside the tube and that make it easy, maybe you used the same method?

just like the video " SEC Tower (Round) MFG On Lathe " that The Cell show us in the previous post, but the mechanical work was my hands

here is a video of my tower: YouTube - jujusalva's Channel

sory for the bad understanding! peace
    Last edited by TanTric; 07-06-2010, 08:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Farrah Day
    replied
    Originally posted by TanTric View Post
    dont see why shee have missed something,

the coil is very well wound, considering that was wounded by hand!

strange, because mine is bigger and only took me arround 7, 8 hours by hand!

good luck with your setup farrah!
    We were joking TanTric, that's all - just humour!

Only 7-8 hours, what gauge wire did you use?

Leave a comment:

• TanTric
    replied
    dont see why shee have missed something,

the coil is very well wound, considering that was wounded by hand!

strange, because mine is bigger and only took me arround 7, 8 hours by hand!

good luck with your setup farrah!

Originally posted by rave154 View Post
    Farrah, i just looked at the piccys of your new coil, and all i can say is.....

you missed a bit.

Leave a comment:

• Farrah Day
    replied
    Originally posted by rave154 View Post

you missed a bit.
    Bugger! I'll have to do it again!
    Last edited by Farrah Day; 07-06-2010, 06:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rave154
    replied

you missed a bit.

Leave a comment:

• Farrah Day
    replied
    Thanks for that Slayer.

Ok, finally finished my L1 ... and it only took me 12 hours!

Imageshack - dscn1490i.jpg - Uploaded by FarrahDay
    Imageshack - dscn1491r.jpg - Uploaded by FarrahDay

After that mind-numbing experience I'm sure gonna be make a coil winding jig.

Anyway here are the specs:

Coil length: 15.5 inches (394mm)
    Coil Diameter: 2.75 inches (70mm)
    1450 turns of SWG34 (0.234mm) enamelled copper wire

DC Resistance: 123 ohms
    Inductance at 1KHz using Marconi LCR Bridge: 22.4mH
    Inductance using online Air Core Coil Inductance Calculator: 23.7mH
    (so a pretty accurate tool - Air Core Inductor Coil Inductance Calculator )

Test results to follow.

Leave a comment:

• slayer007
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCell View Post
    Slayer, I would like to reiterate that thought on the tuning...Please, any advice is welcome. If it is a trial and error can you give some guidelines...then I can make several of them quickly for the test and relay this to the forum.

Why not use all the resources available..???

Thanks for your videos, and JD as well. As much as I hate making the things, I can see where it is crucial... I played JD's 10 times until I figured out where I had made my mistake...So Please keep it up guys, and ladies...Farrahday, do you make videos?

Thanks again,

Bob Potchen

(just incase the Doc is wondering if I'm hiding behind my "cute" icon...that is my real name)
    @ Bob

I did not use any kind of formula for winding my coils.
    I wound quite a few differant L1 and L2 coils from small to big.

I think the diameter of the L1 coil does make a big differance.
    (4" by 16" is the biggest I made so far but the performance was about the same as with the three inch.)
    The bigger coils actually used less current and would put out more light.
    Also the pancake L2 with the plastic coated wire made a big differance for me anyway.

I haven't played alot with the differant wire size for L1 only 23 awg and 25.5 awg so far.
    I was thinking the wire size might play a part in the frequency this runs at.

Maybe someone with a good scope or SA could test this for me.
    Wind two coils the same diameter and the same uH but with differant wire size.

Thanks Everyone
    Last edited by slayer007; 07-06-2010, 01:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Farrah Day
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCell View Post
    @ Farrahday
    Incidentally, I've spent half the day winding my new L1 on a 16" length of 3" dia downpipe and I'm still only half done... bloody tedious work with 34SWG isn't it!

Farrahday,

This winding is fun business....

YouTube - SEC Tower (Round) MFG On Lathe

There is also another one for the square tube...what a pain...that one took 30 min...

YouTube - SEC Tower (Rectangle) Making on lathe

(Sorry about the audio)

I would be happy to send you one or two...just tell me what you would like.. It's only fair since the Doc decided to SEClude you from "His" thread..

We love you here

Bob Potchen
    Thanks Bob. I've given up trying to reason with the Doc, he seems very set in his ways and clearly has his head so far up his own backside that he'll never be open to other interpretations of what is going on. And frankly, regarding electrolysis, I think he's getting it very wrong. It would have been nice to talk and resolve some issues but plainly this will not happen. He couldn't even be arsed to respond to yourself or JD... just plain bloody ignorance if you ask me!

Anyway, he doesn't want me over on his thread, which is fine by me, so I'll leave it to the folks that are prepared to pander to him.

I don't do video at the moment, but I'll be posting pictures as I go.

That round coil in the video looks around the same size as the one I'm making at the moment. I usually use 30SWG, but I'm waiting on an order so used some 34SWG that I've got knocking about - it does take forever to wind by hand. Thanks for the coil offer, Bob, but as I envision making quite a few coils of various sizes, I think I'll also fabricate a winding jig from an electric drill for further coils.

The way I do it by hand is gluing every so often with superglue, which holds the windings very firm, and of course sets in seconds. This way I can at least put it down to rest my arms from time to time without all my hard work unravelling.
    Last edited by Farrah Day; 07-06-2010, 10:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• kazm
    replied
    Re: Wireless Reed Switch Spark Gap

Originally posted by TanTric View Post
    maybe is not the gas being exited, but the reed switch turning on and off very fast maybe because off a big magnetic pulsed energy?
    @TanTric - Looking at it further i'd say it's acting like a standard spark gap, same as that "bottle cap" spark gap you had in one of your videos, except that it's not directly touching the output wire. the near is end is collecting enough energy from the air to reach breakdown voltage, the spark jumps and then the process repeats. Reed switches make a distinctive clicking sound when they close and i'm not hearing it.

Originally posted by Farrah Day View Post
    Is there any position you can hold it within the cup whereby the potential difference is not enough to see the affect?
    @Farrah Day - It stays a continuous spark no matter what the position, as long as it's near enough to the exited tray.

Originally posted by jonnydavro View Post
    @Kazm.Nice findCan the sparking reed switch be used to complete a circuit?Jonny
    @jonnydavro - Yes it will spark to the other side and the circuit continues but energy is being lost through the gap, a neon will light up only half as bright on the other side. I was able to brighten it back up again using a transformer (i used a JT toroid, 4kv/10kv trigger transformers did nothing) but not back to the same level as before the gap.

@TheCell - 10 minutes for that monster tube? fantastic
    Last edited by kazm; 07-06-2010, 03:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• TheCell
    replied
    Tuning the Tower Coil

Slayer, I would like to reiterate that thought on the tuning...Please, any advice is welcome. If it is a trial and error can you give some guidelines...then I can make several of them quickly for the test and relay this to the forum.

Why not use all the resources available..???

Thanks for your videos, and JD as well. As much as I hate making the things, I can see where it is crucial... I played JD's 10 times until I figured out where I had made my mistake...So Please keep it up guys, and ladies...Farrahday, do you make videos?

Thanks again,

Bob Potchen

(just incase the Doc is wondering if I'm hiding behind my "cute" icon...that is my real name)

Leave a comment:

• TheCell
    replied
    PLan B for winding

@ Farrahday
    Incidentally, I've spent half the day winding my new L1 on a 16" length of 3" dia downpipe and I'm still only half done... bloody tedious work with 34SWG isn't it!

Farrahday,

This winding is fun business....

YouTube - SEC Tower (Round) MFG On Lathe

There is also another one for the square tube...what a pain...that one took 30 min...

YouTube - SEC Tower (Rectangle) Making on lathe

(Sorry about the audio)

I would be happy to send you one or two...just tell me what you would like.. It's only fair since the Doc decided to SEClude you from "His" thread..

We love you here

Bob Potchen

Leave a comment:

• rave154
    replied
    yikes farrah....34SWG !!...holy crap..my 30SWG drove my crazy

just noticed something else, when i appraoch the end of L1 with the terminal of the flouro...the end of the L1 is attracted to the terminal almost like magnetised or static attraction...clingy

Leave a comment:

Working...
X