X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seth
    replied
    Originally posted by jimboot View Post
    Thanks Seth, I drawing 600ma so I may try your diode setup. I just got one hell of a belt from my setup. Felt like a mains shock. Be careful folks, I wasn't expecting it. Also I've burnt out a resistor in my 240v 1watt led lamp. Scared to put my scope on it now I also get one wire lighting on the led. Getting a nice plasma spark gap from it as well.
    Hi Jim!

Have you got a link to your schematic, or a youtube channel? Are you using a flyback? (Ive heard they have internal capacitors and thats why they can pack a punch) Im really interested what other folks are doing here and i wanna replicate - I've spent the last 6 months setting up an online teaching business and so I'm more than a little behind on everyone's progress (I watch Xee, Johnny, Kyle, woopy, Slider and Lids channels cos Im a subscriber). But now its all going well, and I'm back in a position where I can spend an hour or so a day playing with elecy - Im all fired up and ready for action! Just send me in the right direction and Im with you buddy!

GOOD LUCK and be careful of the shocks.....all in the name of science and progress and fun anyhow
    Last edited by seth; 03-17-2012, 11:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jimboot
    replied
    Originally posted by seth View Post
    Hi Jim! That's a really good question. The circuit STILL works without them, but the current draw is much higher (makes sense I suppose - the neon and cap offer a larger resistance). About 200 mA instead of 50mA. So the main purpose is to make the circuit more efficient (though it does dim the lights a little bit too - so I'm not too sure it IS more efficient ). The diodes also drastically reduce the current draw

I first started using this arrangement as it helped me get the 'ringing' effect of the joule ringer - a CFL will stay lit if you exchange the battery for a large capacitor. Here is a video of a very similar circuit (no diodes - the diodes stop the ringing effect) doing just that...

Flyback ringer - joule ringer - YouTube
    Thanks Seth, I drawing 600ma so I may try your diode setup. I just got one hell of a belt from my setup. Felt like a mains shock. Be careful folks, I wasn't expecting it. Also I've burnt out a resistor in my 240v 1watt led lamp. Scared to put my scope on it now I also get one wire lighting on the led. Getting a nice plasma spark gap from it as well.

Leave a comment:

• seth
    replied
    Originally posted by jimboot View Post
    Hey Seth great work & music That is one big CFL. Pardon my ignorance but what is the purpose of the cap & neon?
    Hi Jim! That's a really good question. The circuit STILL works without them, but the current draw is much higher (makes sense I suppose - the neon and cap offer a larger resistance). About 200 mA instead of 50mA. So the main purpose is to make the circuit more efficient (though it does dim the lights a little bit too - so I'm not too sure it IS more efficient ). The diodes also drastically reduce the current draw

I first started using this arrangement as it helped me get the 'ringing' effect of the joule ringer - a CFL will stay lit if you exchange the battery for a large capacitor. Here is a video of a very similar circuit (no diodes - the diodes stop the ringing effect) doing just that...

Flyback ringer - joule ringer - YouTube

Leave a comment:

• jimboot
    replied
    Thanks Gnino - you're doing well getting filaments lit, and thats an interesting circuit diagram. How do you wind a multifilar coil?

Here's my latest output on a 1.5V battery at 50mA, and a 9V battery at 40 - 60mA

Oscillator with darlington pair on half a Watt - YouTube

And my latest Xenon tube test

Xenon on 72mA - YouTube

Enjoy the flamenco and light show
    Hey Seth great work & music That is one big CFL. Pardon my ignorance but what is the purpose of the cap & neon?

Leave a comment:

• seth
    replied
    H

Thanks Gnino - you're doing well getting filaments lit, and thats an interesting circuit diagram. How do you wind a multifilar coil?

Here's my latest output on a 1.5V battery at 50mA, and a 9V battery at 40 - 60mA

Oscillator with darlington pair on half a Watt - YouTube

And my latest Xenon tube test

Xenon on 72mA - YouTube

Enjoy the flamenco and light show

Leave a comment:

• gnino
    replied
    my version with multifilar coil
    12 volt joule thief 1 - YouTube

Leave a comment:

• kcarring
    replied
    Thats a nice solar power vid that you put up yesterday - a real eye opener for how quickly you can fill up a cap with one of those panels. I think I may well have to buy myself one, right after Ive bought myself a house, which hopefully should happen in a couple of months
    great news on the house! I have 13 of these panels and have come to the realization that for many hours of the day, combined, they are putting out about 12V @ 200 mA. Not a crime, but still... it's energy wasted.

Leave a comment:

• seth
    replied
    Ive just seen this video and I wondered if anyone had tried anything similar here... (its only 1 minute long and comes from the Russian forums - 'Kacher' seems to be their word for 'Slayer exciter')

KACER 2 - YouTube

Surely worth a try? Big piece of metal stuck in middle of secondary and wired up to a transformer with bulb on the other side of it. What better way could there be to spend the weekend? Should be able to try and get an output reading too.

Leave a comment:

• Slider2732
    replied

I always liked that coat hanger Jacobs ladder...I mean, way to go with stripping out the fluffy mathematics and build methods with such things ! Worked great.
    Welcome back Seth, to the same thread too lol. And i'm sure people need more of your ska tunes for their iPod's

Solar HV solutions are definitely related here and what I hope we'll see in the coming weeks of Spring and Summer. Why fill up caps and batts to the hilt to run a standard inverter, when a Tesla tower will light a fluoro well, down at 3V and 20mA or similar. Run a 12V system and off ya go, then add more bulbs for no increased amp draw !

Leave a comment:

• seth
    replied
    Originally posted by kcarring View Post
    @seth

That video is awesome and was very inspirational for me. In fact, it lead to the eventual horribly stupid runs I did with an IRF450 @ 48 and even 96 volts DC on my 21" tower. That was insanity. For the benefit of healthy teenagers worldwide I never made a video of that. LOL

I had a fluoro going in the next room. Scanner fired up all on it's own, and I fried a cap in my LCD moniter power supply. Baby monitor was screaming out in the garage LOL.

And it all started with you!!! hahaha
    Cheers Kyle! I would have never got the sucker working without the patience of Xee, Johnny and a few others on here who I havent seen for some time - they managed to explain the setup so that even I could understand.

Thats a nice solar power vid that you put up yesterday - a real eye opener for how quickly you can fill up a cap with one of those panels. I think I may well have to buy myself one, right after Ive bought myself a house, which hopefully should happen in a couple of months Then I'll have somewhere to put it! Keep making the vids as they always inspire me to get back into the tinkering.

Anyway - Ive missed all you guys and it feels great to be back.

Leave a comment:

• kcarring
    replied
    @seth

That video is awesome and was very inspirational for me. In fact, it lead to the eventual horribly stupid runs I did with an IRF450 @ 48 and even 96 volts DC on my 21" tower. That was insanity. For the benefit of healthy teenagers worldwide I never made a video of that. LOL

I had a fluoro going in the next room. Scanner fired up all on it's own, and I fried a cap in my LCD moniter power supply. Baby monitor was screaming out in the garage LOL.

And it all started with you!!! hahaha

Leave a comment:

• seth
    replied
    Some of you have seen this video about 50 pages back, but I wanted to show it again as it demonstrates the power of the MJE 13007 @ 32W input. It'll light halogens and filaments and xenon bulbs wirelessly with ease

exciter halogens - YouTube

I can get the same with the IRF series that Xee often uses at 15W input. (Cheers for your diligent work Xee - I'm always watching).

Thanks to all of you - I love ALL of your vids, and even though I havent made one for months, I constantly watch all of yours. I particulary loved the latest Woopy water sparking fun - that looked dangerous

Leave a comment:

• boguslaw
    replied
    Patented http://www.google.com/patents?id=i3p...page&q&f=false

Patent probably expired.

Here you see where Don Smith could found inspiration. Just in case : I don't think the version with two opposite diodes can be patented as was shown by Don Smith in his books
    We are almost here.... In the end remember : humanity is about not hurting others by your ego

Leave a comment:

• kcarring
    replied
    @woopy

you're very welcome. I love your videos. You have the best accent in the world, it's awesome. I could listen to you talk about dead weeds in the garden and still enjoy myself Fortunately your videos are far more exciting, than that, of course...

Leave a comment:

• jimboot
    replied
    Thanks guys il switch back to some mje3055 that I have on hand.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X