X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• totoalas
    replied
    Originally posted by Slider2732 View Post
    Aint that the coolest validation for Slayer, your circuit working better than a commercial product !

Tyson, the ends really need to be soldered...a few seconds for the tip to burn off the enamel and be coated with solder is what's required. The lighter method works well, but still may leave blackened ends, that short the connections. A touch of solder paste on both old end and new end will secure them properly.
    I hope you get it to run !

Here's another demo of a 'Walgreen'. This is 5 out of 6 poles from 2x RF-300 cassette motors as secondary, with 3 turns of 22 gauge bell wire in a pancake as primary.
    Circuit is the time served C3198 transistor based one, power is from the usual Nokia cellphone charger....
    Lighting a candle with the plasma

YouTube - Lighting a candle with plasma
    Nice fire starter Slyder
    Have you tried the output plasma to trigger another primary / coil
    and produce more
    Or try to charge a cap via av plug the cap fully carged in seconds is then shorted to the other primay coil ?????
    the pancake coil of Jiffy coil will be a nice lanching pad
    YouTube - Jiffy Puck Powered by the Slayer Exciter
    http://www.energeticforum.com/renewa...tml#post116121

cheers

totoalas

Leave a comment:

• Slider2732
    replied
    Tickle those airwaves Scott
    Thing is, I bet we've all done exactly the same when messing with these fields !
    Great vid, it really showed how the effects could change.
    A field effect transistor (MPF102, BF245A or something) could affect a 555 based tone and then we'd have a theramin..replacing the radio with a source tone

Good to hear of the satellite receiver reuse Jim. You might find chokes, LED's and more in that too

Leave a comment:

• twinbeard
    replied
    Hi All,

I have not made it through this thread all the way yet, but I did have some fun with a small magnifying transmitter driven by a joule thief, Joulini style, and an old school crystal radio last night.

Here is the video:
    YouTube - Joule Thief, Magnifying Transmitter, and ye olde tyme Crystal Radio.

Battery is 2x 3.7V lithium ion cells in parallel.
    FET is IRF840, heatsink cooler than the cat.
    Rheostat is 500ohm ohmite, and there is a 15ohm fixed resistor in series.
    JT toroid is @40 turns bifilar #34AWG & #26AWG; two full layers on a T37-2 core.
    Tower primary is 3 turns of #8AWG, and the secondary is 100 or so turns of #22AWG.

Cheers,
    Scott

Leave a comment:

• jimboot
    replied
    inspired by slider i pulled apart my old humax sat receiver and pulled out a cs2331. getting wireless plasma on my haider tube 19mm away from the tower. stronger wider field.

Leave a comment:

• Slider2732
    replied
    Aint that the coolest validation for Slayer, your circuit working better than a commercial product !

Tyson, the ends really need to be soldered...a few seconds for the tip to burn off the enamel and be coated with solder is what's required. The lighter method works well, but still may leave blackened ends, that short the connections. A touch of solder paste on both old end and new end will secure them properly.
    I hope you get it to run !

Here's another demo of a 'Walgreen'. This is 5 out of 6 poles from 2x RF-300 cassette motors as secondary, with 3 turns of 22 gauge bell wire in a pancake as primary.
    Circuit is the time served C3198 transistor based one, power is from the usual Nokia cellphone charger....
    Lighting a candle with the plasma

YouTube - Lighting a candle with plasma

Leave a comment:

• jimboot
    replied
    @slider love the plasma you're getting. The knob on the set is just a variable resistor. I plugged it in to 240v got plasma but then got better plasma off my 4" tower rapt

Leave a comment:

• SkyWatcher
    replied
    Hi slider, thanks for the added tips. Though I already know from making this exciter what you mean about the darn wire sticking, had it break a couple of times because of it, so had two extra splices to make in addition to the normal ones needed to splice in the other stator poles.

Not sure if all those splices caused it not to work properly.

I just used a lighter to clear off enamel and twisted the wire ends together.

I haven't been able to get it fired up as far as i can tell, using 2 turns of 18 gauge, maybe i made the primary diameter too large.

Will make more adjustments and see if i can get it to work.
    peace love light
    tyson

Leave a comment:

• xee2
    replied
    @ Slider2732

Thanks for posting the Walgreen wireless exciter videos. Plasma from such small towers is amazing. I will see if I can make one.

Leave a comment:

• Slider2732
    replied
    Dr. Jim now ? hehe Wow, I thought it was a 19th century medical kit. Wonderful device !
    So, do those tubes give different output effects ? and what does the dial do ?
    The fact that they do all that off your own rig must have made for a huge grin

Tyson, this wire is 22 gauge. 18 gauge may show that just 1 turn will work well. RF-310T wire is ideal, those Mabuchi's are in everything and if your tower goes well you may find yourself walking around the house looking for gear that could make donations to a good cause lol ! One tower will probably take 2 motors to complete. If you get stuck opening the motors, you can use pliers to prise the little tabs out from the casing, then the base pops off. Use the pliers to snap away the wire connections piece and also remove the plastic spacers. The central shaft should push through with some gently applied plier force, enabling the rotor to merely spin as you wind. The wire can catch slightly on the stators and won't break the insulation of the wire. Best motors for winding with are those with tall stator plates, the thinner they are the more difficult the tumbling is. I've wound dozens of magnetic actuators for micro R/C aircraft and have a high regard for such motors.
    I like the pill bottles because when the label is peeled away the glue residue seems ideal to be both a fixative of the coil windings and yet gives some flexibility for the trailing winding thumb to push the winds closer as you go.

I'm now winding my third, after a multi gauge wind second one worked out very well...it works in reverse to what may be expected, the gauge becoming slightly thicker as it goes up the tower. The plasma is strong from the cellphone charger power. That one can be seen in the video below, on the left side. The red section shows how far each Mabuchi motor tooth will go and that section is thicker gauge than the wire below, above is a grade thicker again.
    The video experiment was one i've wanted to do for some time, two towers, with plasma arcing between them
    My wife exclaimed "oh aren't they cute" which has gotta be about the first time Tesla coils have been regarded as cute.

YouTube - Twin plasma towers
    Last edited by Slider2732; 04-20-2011, 08:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SkyWatcher
    replied
    Hi jim, the one your holding looks like a violet ray tube.
    peace love light
    tyson

Leave a comment:

• jimboot
    replied
    not sure what gas is in these haider tubes but Im getting some very cool plasmas effects off my existing rig on them.

Leave a comment:

• jimboot
    replied
    forgot I had one of these in stored in the roof that my wife bought over 30 years ago. Plugged it in and it still works. Creates plasma. Built in the 1930s.
    think I'll have a go at hooking some low volts and a transitor to it

Leave a comment:

• SkyWatcher
    replied
    Hi folks, Hi slider, thanks for sharing the vid and the good design geometry exciter.
    I'm winding a film container, which has similar dimensions to the pill bottle.
    I was able to scavenge 3 small motors from a broken dvd player.
    I'm using the magnet wire from a RF-310T, it looks like at least 36 gauge or smaller.
    Takes awhile to wind such fine gauge wire. Then i figure I'll use 18 gauge wire for the primary at twice the diameter as you have shown.
    What gauge bell wire did you use.
    peace love light
    tyson

Leave a comment:

• Slider2732
    replied
    My pleasure Jim, we're all learning this stuff as a team

@All
    Found a good alternative NPN transistor today, in a mid 2000's satellite receiver. The 2SC536N, datasheet here: 2SC536N pdf, 2SC536N description, 2SC536N datasheets, 2SC536N view ::: ALLDATASHEET :::
    There was only 1 on the circuit board, but even this 'F' graded example gives 9/10ths the output of my favourite, the 2SC3198. If you find a 'G' designated one, you could well be 'cookin with plasma' !

Leave a comment:

• jimboot
    replied
    Originally posted by Slider2732 View Post
    Will take a look at the information Sergei. I studied the toroid coil and circuit connections from one of your videos and know we have much to learn if we use Google translate (or Seth). My oscilloscope is now on the work table (was that the word that Google mistranslated ?), so will aim to post pictures of the display.

Well Jim, looks like i'll throw a spanner in the works.....
    The Walgreen
    This tower is just about the smallest i've seen, that doesn't use ferrite. Walgreen, because it's a pill bottle and that's a popular pharmacist chain here in the USA
    It comes from thoughts when considering coil to coil inductance and that strange phenomena, whereby a CFL might extinguish if it's right next to a tower.
    Of 250 turns, the wire is from a small DC motor. 2 turn bell wire primary of 2x tower diameter.
    It does all that my larger towers have done and yet seems more efficient in some ways too on 3.7V. I mean, plasma ?! and fully lighting an energy saver bulb ?!
    Transistor is the C3198, the whole circuit coming directly from the Wensleydale tower for an exact comparison - take a look

YouTube - The Walgreen - wireless exciter
    Nice work Slider. Obviously there is a relationship between height, diameter & gauge I need to grok better. That is a big field for such a small coil but the diameter is certainly greater than any of the other micros I've seen and the placement of the the 2 turns of bell wire is also interesting. I had convinced my self that coil had to be wrapped tightly on top of the other coil to work. You have dismissed that theory - thank you.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X