Joulethief SEC exciter and variants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi DrStiffler

Thanks for your advice and doc ( i will read the Bill B "Energy-sucking radio antennas" which is always online at Bill Beaty site.

Yes of course i would have a lot of questions but as i understand your point of view (in your response to Seth) ,i imagine that you have not the time to educate beginners as Seth and i are, And of course i understand it very well.

So perhaps one small shematic with the right component ,to start right would be apreciated. Or perhaps where i could get it ?

Anyway, as Seth, i am a hobyist and have great fun to try a lot of things and discover all this stuff, and thanks to all contributers,

Good luck at all

Laurent

Comment

• @ Woopy & Seth

I tried using 2 resistors a while ago and I did not think it helped any. This is the circuit I used.

Comment

• Originally posted by xee2 View Post
        @ Woopy & Seth

I tried using 2 resistors a while ago and I did not think it helped any. This is the circuit I used.

@xee2
        Helped what? With two equal low value resistors you are setting the bias Vgs to Vd/2, not to mention that the 51 ohm value presents a very low impedance for the coil feedback. With any type of capacity present from the power supply with a low impedance to the operating frequency, the two resistors could be considered in parallel because of this capacity and therefore would present an impedance to the feedback of ~ R1R2/R1+R2 and in this case where they are equal the result would be R1/2.

For sure this setup would most likely reduce any effect and not help with hot FETS.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrStiffler View Post
          @xee2
          Helped what? With two equal low value resistors you are setting the bias Vgs to Vd/2, not to mention that the 51 ohm value presents a very low impedance for the coil feedback. With any type of capacity present from the power supply with a low impedance to the operating frequency, the two resistors could be considered in parallel because of this capacity and therefore would present an impedance to the feedback of ~ R1R2/R1+R2 and in this case where they are equal the result would be R1/2.

For sure this setup would most likely reduce any effect and not help with hot FETS.
          It did not seem to increase the range at which the coil would light a fluorescent bulb wirelessly. No claim that this is a good design. I am just reporting my results. The intent was to lower the gate voltage so that the coil could more easily turn off the gate. But, as I said, it did not seem to work any better than with a single resistor.

EDIT: The second resistor did decrease the current draw. Without the second resistor the current was 129 mA. So if you look at performance in terms of current I guess you could say there was an improvement. So perhaps "helped" is indeed a matter of what is being looked for.
          Last edited by xee2; 09-30-2010, 01:24 AM.

Comment

• Just been watching a lot of your plasma youtube vids guys - great vids!!!!

I couldnt find yours though woopy??? got a link???

Cheers.

Comment

• Hi Xee2

I briefly tested the second diode. I put a 1/4 watt 100 ohm resistor across Gate and minus. An it works very well. The oscillation begins something higher in voltage and the plasma begins at about 10 volts.
              I would say that until 8-9 volts the fet and resistors stay cool. But when i push to 12 volts the resistors stay cool but the fet begin to strongly warm up.

But i will go on later to confirm.

@ Seth

here the link
              YouTube - plasmajet 1
              YouTube - plasmajet flight

good luck at all

Laurent

Comment

• Various Bias Techniques

@All

The included example shows a combination of bias methods employing diodes and selected LED's as voltage regulators. As can be seen LED's can have different forward voltages and usually this is found by color, so one would assume a RED LED will have a lower forward than a White, etc. A particular LED can be tested with a resistor to protect or limit the current and measure the forward voltage when the LED is connected to a voltage source.

Ordinary diode also display a fairly level drop in the forward direction and for Si can range around 0.6 -> 0.7 or more and is stable over a defined temperature range, at least for this type of work.

A word on diodes, power diodes such as 1N4001, 1N4007 etc., are not good at high frequency, although there is what is called an Ultra-Fast version like UF1N4007. They are fair, but not as good as a fast signal diode as the 1N4148. Problem with the 1N4148 is that the good ones from a selected manufactures are only good for 500mA forward in pulsed mode and a PIV of 100V repetitive and Vr is normally 75 volts. They are very low in capacity and are great for this work, if care and correct design is used.

Anyway hope this helps and this was how the biases are set on my SEC Exciters.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by DrStiffler; 09-30-2010, 02:07 PM.

Comment

• Thanks for explaining and sharing Dr. Stiffler ! I've learned so much from following your posts over the last year. I remember I had a heck of a time getting your SEC 15 going but after several failures I finally got it working, in those failures I learned something each time which made the success of the working unit that much sweeter. Your "hints and clues" style of teaching is frustrating at times but when the lesson is learned, it sticks ! Thank you so much sir !
                  ________
                  LovelyWendie99
                  Last edited by dragon; 05-11-2011, 10:46 AM.

Comment

• LidMotor's - Dr. Stiffler SEC feedback experiment

@Lidmotor,

Your latest video is pretty interesting:

Dr. Stiffler SEC feedback experiment

Nice that you're running it off a solar panel... Can you light any CFL's or LED boards with this circuit? How much light would you get off that if you could?

Mussle

Comment

• Mopozco circuit

@All
                      Mopozco on Youtube has come up with a variant of Slayer's circuit that is very interesting ---in several ways. He put the primary coil inside the tube of the secondary instead of wrapped outside. He is using a standard old 2N3055 NPN and a variable power supply filtered by a large cap. By adjusting the input power voltage he hits resonance points and shows different things happening---incuding plasma at about 11.4 volts. The amp draw appears to go from .1A at 1.6v all the way to .7A at 11.4V. A 5K resistor is on the base of the tranny.
                      He doesn't say anything in his videos. I hope that you like guitar music.

YouTube - TROS -- "aircore"

Cheers,
                      Lidmotor
                      Last edited by Lidmotor; 09-30-2010, 04:54 PM.

Comment

• Why can I only get V shaped plasma?

What am i doing different from everyone else? Or can everyone get V shaped plasma by doing something that i already do??

Any ideas?

@ woopy - great videos!!! youve inspired me to try the ion motor - i liked your simple setup with a syringe needle. Ill try the same
                        Last edited by seth; 09-30-2010, 06:22 PM.

Comment

• The feedback circuits

Originally posted by anonymussle View Post
                          @Lidmotor,

Your latest video is pretty interesting:

Dr. Stiffler SEC feedback experiment

Nice that you're running it off a solar panel... Can you light any CFL's or LED boards with this circuit? How much light would you get off that if you could?

Mussle
                          I have not gone much further with this feedback circuit so I don't know. The power out was very weak and the LED in the video was really just to show that the circuit was running. You can light up the usual things with the circuit I used but the amp draw jumps up to 30 milliamps when you tune it to go there. Dr. Stiffler probably has all the answers for this one. I was just trying to see if I could get the low amp draw effect and was surprised when it happened.

Lidmotor

Comment

• Ion Motor success!!!

simple slayer exciter set up. IRF 830 on BIG heatsink (2 heatsinks back to back). 50 Ohm 1 W resistor. 12 V lead battery running at 0.9 A. Ion motor is real simple (i tried to replicate woopy with the syringe needle but couldnt get anything to balance!!!) 1 neon bulb magnetically attached to bottom of neo magnet. Top of neo magnetically attached to a screw which hangs from a croc clip. Neon legs bent into the shape of thrusters. Hey presto!!! Ion motor. (needs a push to get it started, so it looks either less powerful than woopy's, or heavier, or more friction, etc....)

Thanks for the inspiration woopy! Im going to help one of the kids i teach build this setup and he'll have an exciter demo of ion propulsion, wireless transfer, plasma etc...for the whole school

YouTube - slayer exciter ion motor

Comment

• @ Seth

Great work. Thanks for the details about what you are using. Still no luck here. I think there may be a problem with your last video upload, it seems to just be a black screen.

Comment

• Originally posted by xee2 View Post
                                @ Seth

Great work. Thanks for the details about what you are using. Still no luck here. I think there may be a problem with your last video upload, it seems to just be a black screen.
                                Sorry to hear that your having problems xee - try this link

YouTube - MrFlathunter's Channel

Hope it works - how you going with your exciter?? | know you have the IRF 830 - do you have a resistor, pretty big, between 50 and 100 ohms?? should get plasma, it seems to me. I'd love to see another one....

Comment

Working...
                                X