X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by xee2 View Post
    @ altrez

My 390 turn coil inductance = 0.854 mH
    Think that's whats wrong? Why is 1200 turns less mH then yours? I am using the 2n2222 I have switched it out with a few different ones as well. The LED will not light at all. It will is I go from Emitter to Collector but that's it.

I have no idea why this is not working. Any ideas?

Thanks!

-Altrez

Comment

• @ altrez

Reducing the resistor value may help. I have gone down to 200 ohms on some circuits. Make sure LED is as shown in schematic.

Comment

@ altrez

Reducing the resistor value may help. I have gone down to 200 ohms on some circuits. Make sure LED is as shown in schematic.
        I took the resistor down to 100 omh and the transistor gets too hot. I added a pot so I could sweep yet the led never lights up.

If I pull the transistor the led comes on. I have tried lots of different ones as well.

I am so lost. I cant see how this is not working can the coil make it not work?

Comment

@ altrez

Another thing that's odd is if I move the LED to the base and collector it lights up really bright then goes dim and I can turn it off with the pot or back on. If I put it back to the emitter and base it will not light?

I really want to thank you for all the help!

-Altrez

Comment

• Originally posted by altrez View Post
            If I pull the transistor the led comes on.
            Your LED is backwards. It should go the other way.

Comment

• @ altrez

Try 6 turns for L2 about 10% of the length of L1 from the powered end.

Comment

Your LED is backwards. It should go the other way.
                Ok I got the LED working an in the correct position. I plug in th power and I get the one wire AV plug thats attached to the end to light up! However the Tran gets so hot it burns even with a 100k omh resistor at 5v. The LED does run while there is power but the tran lasts only a few moments?

Thank you

Comment

However the Tran gets so hot it burns even with a 100k omh resistor
                  Your L2 coil needs more turns.

Comment

• Free PDF Guide For jonnydavros Simple SEC Build

I put together a guide for jonnydavros Simple SEC build for a friend and I am sharing it here by permission. It is very detailed.

If you are new to this topic, download the PDF guide, and watch the video! It's a great lead in to SEC Exciter projects and very inexpensive. Good fun.

PDF Guide

Video

Thanks jonny!

* changed the link to Scribd - you'll need to login for a download, otherwise you can read it online
                    Last edited by kcarring; 01-17-2011, 11:35 PM. Reason: link broken
                    ----------------------------------------------------
                    Alberta is under attack... http://rethinkalberta.com/

Has anyone seen my Bedini Ceiling Fan that pushes the warm air down, and charges batteries as an added bonus? Me neither. 'Bout time I made one!!!!! :P

Comment

• Originally posted by kcarring View Post
                      I put together a guide for jonnydavros Simple SEC build for a friend and I am sharing it here by permission. It is very detailed.

If you are new to this topic, download the PDF guide, and watch the video! It's a great lead in to SEC Exciter projects and very inexpensive. Good fun.

PDF Guide

Video

Thanks jonny!

You need to allow people to download it from that link. Add me altrez

Comment

Humm I have added 6 more to make it 12 I will add another 6 and see what happens.

Thank you!

Comment

It seems that this circuit is really picky about the coils. I have rewound a coil and it will light an LED with one wire it will not however light a tube. It gets really hot with anything less then a 100komh resistor and 18 windings on the secondary.

I am close, The circuit LED is a great addition as it allows you to know that the circuit is at least working and then allows you to focus on the coil. I think something is still wrong. It will not light a neon at all. And the LED on the AV plug is dim.

What could be the cause of the high current pull from the power source. Even with 1 AA its super hot.

Coil Primary is .672mH
                          Coil Secondary is .014mH
                          Resistor is 100komh
                          Transistor is 2n2222
                          Power is 1.2v -> 9v

Ideas?

Thank you!!!!!
                          -Altrez
                          Last edited by altrez; 01-17-2011, 05:54 PM.

Comment

I think something is still wrong. It will not light a neon at all. And the LED on the AV plug is dim.
                            Yes. Something is wrong. Post a photo of your coil.

Have you tried reversing the L2 leads? If you are still using a 2N2222 you should eventually try to get a bigger transistor and use a heat sink. I suggest using a cell phone charger to do your tuning, that will limit the current going into the transistor.

EDIT: This is video of a 900 turn coil. You should be about the same.
                            YouTube - Slayer exciter circuit - 1 AA battery
                            Last edited by xee2; 01-17-2011, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Have you tried reversing the L2 leads? If you are still using a 2N2222 you should eventually try to get a bigger transistor and use a heat sink. I suggest using a cell phone charger to do your tuning, that will limit the current going into the transistor.

Ok here you go.
                              Attached Files

Comment

WOW your coil is like 1000 times bigger then my little coil. Thats awesome But my coil is around 1200 wraps? and its small I posted a pic.

Thank you xee2!

-Altrez

Comment

Working...
                                X