• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seth IRF730 circuit?

Comment

• Originally posted by xee2 View Post
      Seth IRF730 circuit?

YEP!!!!

as i said before IRF 730 or IRF Z30....Its not easy to ead as the monitor was quite old.

Comment

• I'll add a few of each on my next order and then we can see which it is.

Comment

• @ Jiffycoil & Seth

There is an IRF9Z30 but it is a p-channel where as IRF730 is an n-channel. I will try an IRF530 and see what happens. If it works this should be a big improvement in performance at 1.5 volts since the on resistance is only 0.16 ohms.

Comment

• I tested a IRFZ44 which is in the same group as the Z30 and it fried no output during test. I tested the IRF530 same result. I'll wait for the other FETs to come in before I release anymore Djinn from their silicon houses.

Comment

• Originally posted by xee2 View Post
              @ Jiffycoil & Seth

There is an IRF9Z30 but it is a p-channel where as IRF730 is an n-channel. I will try an IRF530 and see what happens. If it works this should be a big improvement in performance at 1.5 volts since the on resistance is only 0.16 ohms.
              The improvement in results was extremely clear compared to my TIP 31C - Its why i just had to tell everyone. With the new MOSFET I can easily get 2 big CFLs lit at some distance (using 1AA)....even 3, but not fully lit. I'll take a photo of the transistor and hopefully you guys can see what it is on closer inspection.

@ Slayer.

Fantastic progress. I also cant wait to replicate. Just not sure where your charge battery sits in relation to the source battery (emergency charger) - Is it just between the negative side of the charger and the emitter?? Do you use an AV plug connected to either battery??
              Last edited by seth; 09-13-2010, 11:45 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jiffycoil View Post
                I tested a IRFZ44 which is in the same group as the Z30 and it fried no output during test. I tested the IRF530 same result. I'll wait for the other FETs to come in before I release anymore Djinn from their silicon houses.
                Maybe they only like really low voltage input?? Did they fry on 1AA?

Comment

• @Seth
                  I tried it at 5 volts. I'll try again using a AA. I can clearly see it works for you and the range of field is large, I would love to make this work.

Comment

• @ Seth & Jiffycoil

I tried the IRF530 at 1.5 volts and with a cell phone charger (5.5 volts) with no success. It has not burned out as it should be able to handle much more current than I am using. At 5.5 volts it draws the max current the cell phone charger can supply (187 ma). At 1.5 volts it will not turn on (draws 0 mA).

Comment

• Thanks, for the info. I used my converted computer power supply for the test. The supply out for the +5 rail says output 30A. Hmm probably why.

Comment

• @ Seth & Jiffycoil

I think maybe the problem with the IRF530 is the very low on resistance. When it turns on it is like putting a short across the battery and the battery voltage drops to almost zero. The IRF530 will not work with such a low Vds. The IRF730 has a 1 ohm on resistance. Maybe that is why it works.

Comment

• Originally posted by seth View Post
                          The improvement in results was extremely clear compared to my TIP 31C - Its why i just had to tell everyone. With the new MOSFET I can easily get 2 big CFLs lit at some distance (using 1AA)....even 3, but not fully lit. I'll take a photo of the transistor and hopefully you guys can see what it is on closer inspection.

@ Slayer.

Fantastic progress. I also cant wait to replicate. Just not sure where your charge battery sits in relation to the source battery (emergency charger) - Is it just between the negative side of the charger and the emitter?? Do you use an AV plug connected to either battery??
                          Hello Seth

No Av plug.The emitter is connected to the positive side of the charge battery.Then the negative side of the charge battery is connected to the negative side of the source.

Comment

• Slayer's new circuit replication

@Slayer & All
                            I replicated the new Slayer circuit and made a video of it. It is a very interesting circuit and more tests needs to be run to see if we are gaining anything but ----- It really does charges up the second battery quite nicely.
                            Well done my friend.

YouTube - Slayer Exciter --New charging circuit replication.ASF

Lidmotor
                            Last edited by Lidmotor; 09-14-2010, 02:58 AM.

Comment

• Well done to all of you.

Comment

• 2 new pieces of info....

IRF 630 (which was also in my old monitor) WORKS!!!!

I dont know why but to get my CFLs to light i often have to shove a neon under the toroid, and that has the effect of igniting the CFLs immediately. 2 CFLs fully bright...18 and 14W...1AA at 0.2A (with battery charger)

Makes me think my other transistor must me an IRF 730.....nonetheless, 2 FETS are woking, so FETs work. They seem to have the same performance as each other.....much better than my TIP 31C.

Secondly, my circuit continues to work (although at about half the output and input) when i disconnect the resistor and base of the transistor from the rest of the circuit. I can still light CFL but the amp draw halves. Anyone else noticed that their circuit will still work (though only sometimes for me...trying to work out why...) when they disconnect the base/resistor line?? Any ideas why this is?

@slayer - thanks for the info. it all sounds too easy!!!! good luck with your further test

Comment

Working...
                                X