Joulethief SEC exciter and variants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What? the ha ho!

Im building the exciter boards for the 3 coil experiment and I have run into something strange , bad, but worked out. The TIP31A's that I just got in from Mouser are blowing seconds after powering up at 24V. I can put the original one Ive been using on the setup and it works fine. ST the manufacturer must have changed something. They spec out the same but something is clearly different. My solution is to use the TIP31C, it works fine. Has anyone ever run into variables with same spec components? I'm taken aback by this, I blew through 8 TIP31A's.

Comment

• Wrong part number

Hi Jiffycoil, I have run into that problem before and found that somehow the wrong part number got put on the part. I suspect you didn't get the right part. I have even had resistors with the wrong color code on them. I would contact Mouser and see if anyone else is having a problem. It is also possible the manufacturer had a bad run of parts and did not catch them in the quality control tests. Hope this helps.

Carroll
      Just because someone disagrees with you does NOT make them your enemy. We can disagree without attacking someone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jiffycoil View Post
        Has anyone ever run into variables with same spec components?
        Yes. Power transistors seem to show this the most. I think they all meet the basic specs, but some manufacturers produce parts that have better performance than the spec.

Comment

• Hi Citfta,
          They read right on the transistor just a different run date and maybe run location. The good and the bad are all manufactured by ST. The good thing is the TIP31C works fine, so that's a good thing.

Comment

• Hey Xee2,
            I wonder how often that occurs with different manufactures? I believe Dr. Stiffler had some issues with different manufacturers of the MPSA06 he uses on his SEC.
            Last edited by Jiffycoil; 10-23-2010, 03:22 AM.

Comment

• I ran one of the new coils tonight.

YouTube - Getting ready for more experiments with the Slayer Exciter

Comment

• Sorry if this has lready been discussed, but is this guy lighting an LED on an AV plug with NO EXCITER but just a ground connection??? Last minute of video:

YouTube - Light circuit - Big light from small battery

I am truly shocked...its only a little light, but with just an AV plug and a ground rod.....Well, it certainly needs to be confirmed - i'll try after ive been to a birthday party.

Is this just stealing energy from the mains, or telluric currents, or something else?

Comment

@Xee2

Nice one Xee2.. Looks like your getting very good performance of the AA battery.

@Jiffycoil.

WOW.. The field around your exciter is amazing.

What are you using for a transistor?

Comment

• TIP31, TIP31A, TIP31C. The video was made using a TIP31. Im curious as to what is going to happen when I run 3 and 4 coils at the same time.

Comment

Wow. Thanks for the video. A true mad scientist lab with lights and sounds. Looks like it came from a science fiction movie. Great work. What power are you using to get those results?

Comment

• This is the high voltage setup 24volts. Thanks for the compliments. I learn so much from you all.

Comment

• SEC Field of Dreams Now Showing

Jiffy
                          Getting more intense and suspense hehehehehe
                          Your coil specs and circuit please I ll try them too
                          Your Flicker Pics are great the one thing I admire and learn from you

your Quote"EVERYTHING HAS ITS PLACE"

No compliments can describe your modest work
                          Cheers

totoalas

Comment

• I know alot of people here have been playing around with "Exciters" for quite some time, and tons of variations have come about.

Has anybody successfully designed an exciter which has 90 degree phased outputs? one is High while the other is off, and vice versa?

Comment

• LED on an AV plug with NO EXCITER

Originally posted by seth View Post
                              Sorry if this has lready been discussed, but is this guy lighting an LED on an AV plug with NO EXCITER but just a ground connection??? Last minute of video:

YouTube - Light circuit - Big light from small battery

I am truly shocked...its only a little light, but with just an AV plug and a ground rod.....Well, it certainly needs to be confirmed - i'll try after ive been to a birthday party.

Is this just stealing energy from the mains, or telluric currents, or something else?
                              Seth
                              if its not too much wor on you
                              can you please post the circuit by Brokenman i triied to follow his link but could not fid the thread

thanks
                              totoalas

Comment

• @Totoalas
                                You do me too much honor. Thank you for your compliments. But, the real teachers here are Slayer007, Jonnydavro, Lidmotor, Seth, Xee2, woopy and ALL here that have been here and continue to seek and search for answers. I learn from everyone here and will learn from you too. The circuit I'm using is Slayers basic Slayer Exciter. I'm using a TIP31 for the transistor and a 1M ohm resistor. Thank you again.

Slayer-2 circuit by jiffycoil, on Flickr

12v to 24v power from converted computer PS

L1 3.5" form, AWG 27 magnet wire, 962 turns, coil capacitance 6.2pF
                                coil inductance 17.1mH.

L2 Pancake coil 9 turns AWG 21 plastic coated solid wire

L3 3.5" form, AWG 27 magnet wire, 513 turns, coil capacitance 4.6pF
                                coil inductance 8.4mH.
                                Last edited by Jiffycoil; 10-23-2010, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X